GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145947 - 08/31/19 03:38 PM Labor Day
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Here's wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend. Presently our favorite spaces are mobbed with Jeeps, dust and brats. Another couple of days and it will calm down. Then we'll need to survive the leaf peepers.

#145948 - 08/31/19 09:56 PM Re: Labor Day [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Went with my wife, her daughter and grandkids, to a place they rented for the weekend near Zion National Park, at Virgin, Utah. The place they rented is comfortable and nice, but crowds and traffic are literally insane. In addition we're about 3,500 feet lower here than at home, so the summer heat is oppressive.

All things considered though it's a pleasant outing, something we're enjoying. Going to show Sharon the Grand Canyon's north rim on our way home first of this coming week. Be nice to get back to our high country home and out of the heat in a few days, but spending time enjoying family in this way is a nice change of pace..

#145949 - 09/01/19 03:10 PM Re: Labor Day [Re: Muniac]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

We spent a lot of time in Zion hiking and climbing. Even in the winter it was too crowded for us. We managed, however. Did Angel's Landing a bunch of times which is a unique hike. Lady Mountain too which is an unsanctioned trail. And some slot canyons. Like almost all the nation parks nowadays, over crowding has ruined the "back in the day" experience. We did a lot of this stuff back in the mid 80s which spoiled us. We'd traveled in the Fall and no crowds were to be seen. You could go and stay just about anywhere in peace. Long gone are those days.

Our favorite areas here are mobbed with the Labor Day crowds. Another two days and that will dissipate. We're seeing warmer temps and nice weather too. That intensifies crowding. It hit 88F @ 3p yesterday at the house. Probably the same for today. Much cooler up in the mountains like in the 50s after sunset. I'm ready for some cooler Fall weather. Be safe and enjoy.

#145950 - 09/01/19 07:36 PM Re: Labor Day [Re: Muniac]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Labor Day here is about surviving the crowds, the heat, and my wife's birthday. We had a fairly quiet picnic yesterday, which was nice. We've all been recovering from the back to school crud as well.

Hope the folks in FL and up the coast make it through the storm.

#145951 - 09/02/19 02:57 PM Re: Labor Day [Re: Muniac]
Deserteagle56 Offline
Member L2

Loc: Central Nevada, USA

A few years ago I decided to camp over the 4th of July (4 day weekend) near the Jarbidge wilderness area, a very remote area near the Nevada/Idaho border. Big mistake! Might as well have camped in a Walmart parking lot...except for the clouds of dust from all the vehicles driving the dirt roads.

Now that I'm retired, I have a choice. And my choice is - every major holiday I spend at home - rarely leave the house for anything. Couple more days and the crowds will all go back to the cities and I can resume my back country exploring.

#145952 - 09/02/19 03:05 PM Re: Labor Day [Re: Muniac]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

We have a couple of tucked away spots we enjoy. Visited one yesterday early evening. It was reasonably quiet so we did a 2 mile hike and made dinner. Driving north on the way home was quiet too. Not one tailgate artist to be found.

We get these idiots in trucks pulling heavy trailers loaded with 4 off road vehicles that will tailgate you in areas where the deer are bad. Really stupid idea for them and innocent drivers like us trying to avoid an accident.

Anyway Labor Day crowds will go home today restoring some peace to the mountains. We won't leave the house until about 5p. Work today as I need to make some gains on a project for Tuesday. Be safe out there and try to enjoy life's pleasures whatever and where ever they may be found.

#145953 - 09/03/19 02:47 PM Re: Labor Day [Re: Muniac]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Crowds finally dissipated. Welcome relief from dust, noise, congestion, dogs and brats! Next is to get through the leaf peeper experience. That usually isn't too bad. That said, hope those partaking had some quality time off and enjoyed themselves.

#145954 - 09/03/19 07:03 PM Re: Labor Day [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

The north rim of the Grand Canyon is far more scenic than the south rim, IMHO having spent time on both rims - the south rim in years long past and the north rim yesterday.

We enjoyed a pleasant day in the Kaibab National Forest along the north rim. Cloudy and cool at 8,500+ feet, with huge stands of towering firs and aspens succulent and green. On the way into the Grand Canyon National Park from highway 89A, we drove past where wildland fire fighters were working deep in the brush to stamp out the latest lightening caused blaze. Scattered showers helped their efforts, but smoke hung hazily in the air for some distance of that 40+ mile drive to the canyon rim.

Spent last night in Flagstaff on our way home. It's elevation is almost identical to our place in Heber/Overgaard, but traffic in that city, with people transiting to all points of the compass after the holiday, was once again insane.

Left fairly early this morning traveling east on US-40 to Holbrook, and from there 45 miles south on 377 and 277 back home. Traffic was light all the way, the only slow downs being the various road repair projects we drove through.

Nice to be home again, unpacked, things washed and put away, enjoying some real peace and quiet. Glad the major driving holidays are behind us, except maybe for Thanksgiving, which doesn't seem to spill over traffic wise here on the mountain quite like summer holiday get aways do.

Hope the coming fall season is pleasant for one and all, and the upcoming winter here in the southwest is wet and snowy once again - we need all the moisture we can get!..

#145955 - 09/05/19 04:59 PM Re: Labor Day [Re: Muniac]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Glad you're getting out and about. Hit the mountains early evening for a hike. No body around. Took care of a nail in the tire this morning. Be back at it again today after I get some work done. 83F @15 RHI now 11a. Still hotter than I'd like.

#145956 - 09/05/19 11:18 PM Re: Labor Day [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

We do a lot of 'Out and About', mostly here on the Rim enjoying the high country, but occasionally further afield like we did over Labor Day. That wasn't too smart as far as excess traffic and crowds of people were concerned, but accommodating the rest of the family's time off schedules was important, so it was what it was, overall a lot of fun.

We got back home on Tuesday and what we'd missed was a lot of rain while we were away. Weeds popping their young heads up everywhere, so the hula hoe had a real workout.

Had to pull a bad 4' x 8' roof panel off the chicken coop, replace it with a good panel and finish that side of the coop with new roofing. Worked from early till it was mid 80s with the sum beating down on me. Have it almost finished. Later this afternoon when the heat lets up, I'll button that project up and hopefully won't have to revisit it for a long time to come.

Got about 3 cords of wood cut, split and stacked, a mix of juniper and oak, with another cord soon to be added for this coming winter's heating.

Haven't done as much riding as I'd like to this summer, but I do get out now and then and tour back country areas, mostly where I'm confidant I won't get myself into gnarly single track while alone and risk an unplanned dismount.

Put new All Terrain tires and off road wheels on the Tacoma last week. Had new rotors and brake pads installed a month ago. After 134k miles the original rotors had a bit of a warp to them, noticeable when gently braking.

Always something to do even though we're both retired! Sharon works with the Navajo County Sheriff's Auxiliary, and spends lots of time every week doing house watch and other assigned duties, and keeping the Heber/Overgaard unit's finances squared away as Treasurer of the group.

As a long time Law Enforcement Officer with the City of Tempe, I appreciate everything the uniformed Sheriff's Auxiliary does in support of our county Sheriff, but personally I'd have a difficult time transitioning from being a police officer to a strictly support role. So it's best that I stay uninvolved with the local SAV unit except as an encouragement to my wife and others as they pursue that worthwhile public service commitment.

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5779
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4269
peejman 3255
kris 2366
Paul49 1732
Doc250 1643