Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
bike will not draw fuel #145759 07/30/19 08:49 PM
F
Freebird Offline OP
OP Offline
F
have fuel to carb, new filter. Bike will try to start and runs for a bit if you put a little gas in the spark plug hole.
Soon dies off. seems like it is not pumping fuel.

marc e sawyer
Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird] #145760 07/31/19 02:33 AM
patuca Offline
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Hi Freebird:

First make sure the gas in the tank is fresh. The bike will act like this if the gas is old.

There is no fuel pump so gas gets to the float-bowl by gravity. Take off the fuel line from the carb and make sure gas is flowing freely. Check that the fuel tank vent is clear.

If that's okay, put a small can under the float-bowl drain, and open the drain and with the petcock off and drain the float bowl. When it's dry, open the petcock and check for a renewed flow.

If there is no flow remove the float-bowl and check the needle-valve.

guesses....

patuca

"this will only take a second..."
Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird] #145761 07/31/19 02:07 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Could also be a plugged idle circuit or non-functional choke. If the bike has been sitting with fuel in it (particularly gas with ethanol), it's likely clogged up the idle circuit.

The best way to fix that is to remove the pilot jet and blow out it's passage with carb cleaner and compressed air, and remove the mixture screw and do it the same way.

Be careful not to loose the tiny spring, washer, and o-ring that go with the mixture screw. When re-installing the mixture screw, run it down until it very gently bottoms out, then back it out 2.5-3 complete revolutions.

For the choke, make sure the plunger on the side of the carb is attached and moving when you move the knob. The nut is plastic and somewhat delicate so be careful with it.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird] #145762 07/31/19 03:33 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Best of luck sorting this out. The guys have given you ideas to pursue, and you'll likely find a solution in them. Just be careful when working with your fuel system and carburetor and not loose parts or put things back together incorrectly once they're clean and working well. You'll learn a lot in the process, so go slow and take it a step at a time..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird] #145765 07/31/19 10:12 PM
Selden Offline
Member L3
Member L3
One other comment : Change just one thing at a time, and keep track of every change you make.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.
Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird] #145784 08/05/19 04:42 AM
F
Freebird Offline OP
OP Offline
F

thanks for the tips. I will start with trying to find the float bowl drain, open and see if we have any gas in there. I'm guessing the rest of this work involves removing the carb. Was trying to avoid that. can you remove the float bowl in place?
Also, I was wondering about the diaphragm. Saw some other posts about this needing to be replaced. I have always used no ethanol gas in the bike. Sorry basic mechanical skills, but never worked on bike carb before.

marc e sawyer
Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird] #145790 08/05/19 01:52 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Is this a 225 or a 250?

You can remove the bowl without removing the carb on a 225, but it's not the easiest thing to do. You've got to take more stuff apart to access the carb on the 250. The stock bowl screws are JIS and tend to be quite soft so the heads strip easily. Replacing them with M4 socket head cap screws from the hardware store makes it easier. Put a dab of anti-seize on the threads.

2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird] #145908 08/26/19 07:53 PM
redninja Offline
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Same problem here. Bike sat for around 2 years (due to mother-in-law moving in; 101 years old, Mr. redninja and I can't really leave the house at the same time, so no camping trips or even riding together. My bike is ok due to me riding to forest looking for firewood each year). So a few months ago, I realized the Stabil in the tank was good for only 6 months; so figured I would drain out all the gas. Of course the drain screw on the carb
had been buggered up by a previous owner, so I pulled off the fuel line to drain. Replaced line and filter. Then petcock started leaking, so ordered a rebuild kit.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when we had a guest that is slightly less inept than we are, so we decided to rebuild the petcock. That went fine. Put everything back together, put in fresh gas, but bike would not start. Fuel flowed freely out of the hose/filter. There was spark. Bike would start with starting fluid sprayed into air intake. It actually also started on its own a couple of times, but died right away. (Battery had been on charger periodically during the down time, so is good). So we attacked the carb drain screw (new one on order) and drained the bowl. And found out no fuel is going into the bowl. Zero. Tapped carb in case float was stuck; nada.

So I started reading here and other sites since I don't know anything about carbs, and think maybe the needle thing is clogged/corroded? I'm all for removing the carb, but the Mr. says no way. So I said we could at least remove the float bowl with the carb still on bike and have a look-see.Those screws are pristine, but I have a set of the Japanese screwdrivers arriving tomorrow, and of course will replace the screws.

Bike is Mr. redninja's 2003 xt225.

Any thoughts?

redninja
Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird] #145920 08/27/19 03:06 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Pull the fuel hose off the carb inlet. Spray good carb cleaner (Berryman is my favorite) in the hole until it won't hold any more. Let that soak for a while. Take something like a Dremel (anything that's small and buzzes shocked ), turn it on with no tool installed, and press whatever part of the handle you can against the bowl and hold it there for a bit. The vibration from the dremel will act like ultrasonic agitation. Drain and give it a shot. It you repeat that a few times with no success, I'd say it'll have to come apart.

Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: peejman] #145922 08/27/19 05:51 PM
redninja Offline
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
OK, I did part of that already; put the carb cleaner in. Did not do the buzzing though, so I will do it again with the Dremel. And, I might add for anyone else that might attempt this, carb cleaner hurts like hell in the eyes, but rinses right out. eek eek DAMHIK. It might be good to wear safety glasses, AND hold a large rag over the whole thing. Stay tuned.....

redninja
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics