Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 152 of 157 1 2 150 151 152 153 154 156 157
Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: peejman] #145193 05/06/19 07:15 PM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: peejman
Today I replaced the vacuum port cap on the carb intake boot.

A few days ago it was nice so I rode to work. When I started the bike to go home, it made a little pop just as it fired and I could tell something was suddenly amiss in the fuel mixture. It popped a bunch while engine braking (which it very rarely does) to the stop sign a couple hundred yards away, and promptly stalled as soon as I stopped. It was unhappy about restarting, but finally did so with full choke. Same thing at the next stop sign. I switched to reserve with no effect and decided to stop at the gas station just up the road to see what I could see, and I needed gas anyway.

In the couple minutes It took to get there, I got the idea that it was behaving as though there was a big vacuum leak. I wondered what could have broken. I gave it a look over at the gas station and thankfully I fairly quickly noticed the end of the brass vacuum port poking out. The cap had dry rotted and the tip cracked and fell off. Ah ha. That would indeed make for a big vacuum leak.

So I dug around in my tail bag and found the roll of electrical tape I keep stashed in there. A couple minutes and a couple burned knuckles later, I got the port mostly taped over. The bike started right up and ran mostly normally the rest of the way home. I wasn't sure how long my tape job would last but it was still there and only a little melted when I got home.

I happened to have a leftover plug from something else that fit, so I put a new one on. I'll also add this to my "replace annually" list with the fuel line, filter, brake fluid, etc.

Why don't I have one of them? Is it a US thing or later model?

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: Drifter] #145194 05/06/19 11:15 PM
B
Beaker Offline
Member L2
Member L2
B
It seems to be used on some 2002+ Japanese models; a hose runs back to some sort of valve that sits on top of the air box.

Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: Beaker] #145196 05/07/19 06:46 AM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Beaker
It seems to be used on some 2002+ Japanese models; a hose runs back to some sort of valve that sits on top of the air box.

Ok thanks, nowt missing off mine then. I use that vac port for my Scottoiler. IMO best mod to any bike, cleans as it lubes, I fitted the touring kit.

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: Drifter] #145205 05/07/19 07:42 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I assumed it was common to another bike or ATV with a vacuum petcock or something like that.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: Drifter] #145289 05/15/19 12:53 AM
ThumperStorm Offline
I worked on my '01 XT225 this afternoon. I adjusted the valves. I've never done that before so was a little apprehensive about doing it. It turned out to be okay, I watched a youtube video before I tried it. The valves did need to be adjusted so I am really glad I did it.

I then changed the spark plug. The gap on the old one was a little big but I think the color looked okay. The new plug had the correct gap already. After that I changed the oil and filter. The old filter was dirty and the oil was dark so I am glad I did that too. I also put in a new air filter. I soaked that in some filter oil first. That stuff was messy and hard to get off my hands. I'm going to wear latex gloves the next time.

I have a old document holder that I am going to use as a tool tube. It is green so I painted it black last night. I made a little bracket for it to put where the factory tool box was and used hose clamps to attach it. The paint wasn't fully cured so it got scratched up in a couple of places but I don't care, I still think it looks okay. I'll repaint it this winter.

The bike ran well when I took it out for a test ride. It might even have just a little more power when I revved it out, it is hard to say for sure. I only had it out for a little bit and it might just be wishful thinking. I'm pretty happy with the bike and that I'm able to work on it myself.

"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: ThumperStorm] #145359 05/20/19 03:26 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: ThumperStorm
..I worked on my '01 XT225 this afternoon. I adjusted the valves. I've never done that before so was a little apprehensive about doing it. It turned out to be okay, I watched a youtube video before I tried it. The valves did need to be adjusted so I am really glad I did it......I'm pretty happy with the bike and that I'm able to work on it myself.

That's cool ThumperStorm! Love it when guys and gals decide to get their hands dirty and try things they've never tried before. Having a good youtube video to look at helps a lot. Much easier than the old days where we learned by reading a service manual and watching someone more experienced do the job. Good on you! Enjoy your bike for a long time to come, and thanks for sharing your experience with us!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: ThumperStorm] #145373 05/22/19 07:30 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: ThumperStorm
I worked on my '01 XT225 this afternoon. I adjusted the valves. I've never done that before so was a little apprehensive about doing it. It turned out to be okay, I watched a youtube video before I tried it. The valves did need to be adjusted so I am really glad I did it.

I then changed the spark plug. The gap on the old one was a little big but I think the color looked okay. The new plug had the correct gap already. After that I changed the oil and filter. The old filter was dirty and the oil was dark so I am glad I did that too. I also put in a new air filter. I soaked that in some filter oil first. That stuff was messy and hard to get off my hands. I'm going to wear latex gloves the next time.

I have a old document holder that I am going to use as a tool tube. It is green so I painted it black last night. I made a little bracket for it to put where the factory tool box was and used hose clamps to attach it. The paint wasn't fully cured so it got scratched up in a couple of places but I don't care, I still think it looks okay. I'll repaint it this winter.

The bike ran well when I took it out for a test ride. It might even have just a little more power when I revved it out, it is hard to say for sure. I only had it out for a little bit and it might just be wishful thinking. I'm pretty happy with the bike and that I'm able to work on it myself.

It takes very little oil to properly oil an air filter. The hard part is distributing that oil evenly over the surface. The least messy way I've found to do that is to sandwich the filter between several layers of paper towels. The towels will soak up the excess oil.

2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: Drifter] #145398 05/24/19 11:36 PM
ThumperStorm Offline
Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys, I appreciate it.

"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: Drifter] #145539 06/12/19 04:09 PM
J
Johnny27 Offline
J
Pulled off the stock handlebars and replaced with Tusk Universal Big Bar Clamp and Pro Taper Contour handlebars and grips. Much better ride angle for me. My clutch mirror screws probably need to be replaced. They are wore out! Also installed a Precision Motorcycle Rack with a 1.7 gallon Roto Pax.

2004 Yamaha XT225
Re: What did You do to Your Dual Sport today? [Re: Drifter] #145823 08/11/19 06:19 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Over the last few days I fixed a flat tire that failed in a way I've not seen before. It appears the tube had a defect that was patched at the factory. I didn't notice it when I installed the tube several years ago. The factory patch eventually failed and started leaking.

I was on my way home from work and noticed the bike felt a little odd. I stopped in a chuch parking lot to try to figure out what was wrong. The rear tire felt a little squishy so I headed straight home. I barley made it before it went completely flat so in retrospect I should have pumped the tire back up while I was stopped.

There was no damage to the tire and nothing amiss on the rim near where the tube failed. The local shop had a tube so I just replaced it it's been fine since.

I also changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, checked the valves. I was encouraged to find the valve clearances still exactly where they should be. I think that's 12,000 miles since I last had to adjust them. I dropped one of the exhaust valve cover bolts when I removed rhe cover. My 8 yr old helper and I spent about 20 minutes looking for it before I finally found it stuck behind the starter. Sheesh.

I also managed to make a BFM by fumbling the oil check bolt in the head when I started the engine up. Anyone who's done that knows how fast thst makes a mess and how fast the engine gets hot. I'm sure it'll smell lovely for the first few miles of my next ride. Oh well. At least it's got clean oil now.

Page 152 of 157 1 2 150 151 152 153 154 156 157

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,620
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,072
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,160
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,113
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics