GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145759 - 07/30/19 08:49 PM bike will not draw fuel
Freebird Offline

Loc: Horse Shoe NC
have fuel to carb, new filter. Bike will try to start and runs for a bit if you put a little gas in the spark plug hole.
Soon dies off. seems like it is not pumping fuel.

#145760 - 07/31/19 02:33 AM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
patuca Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: Cranbrook BC Canada
Hi Freebird:

First make sure the gas in the tank is fresh. The bike will act like this if the gas is old.

There is no fuel pump so gas gets to the float-bowl by gravity. Take off the fuel line from the carb and make sure gas is flowing freely. Check that the fuel tank vent is clear.

If that's okay, put a small can under the float-bowl drain, and open the drain and with the petcock off and drain the float bowl. When it's dry, open the petcock and check for a renewed flow.

If there is no flow remove the float-bowl and check the needle-valve.

guesses....

patuca

#145761 - 07/31/19 02:07 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Could also be a plugged idle circuit or non-functional choke. If the bike has been sitting with fuel in it (particularly gas with ethanol), it's likely clogged up the idle circuit.

The best way to fix that is to remove the pilot jet and blow out it's passage with carb cleaner and compressed air, and remove the mixture screw and do it the same way.

Be careful not to loose the tiny spring, washer, and o-ring that go with the mixture screw. When re-installing the mixture screw, run it down until it very gently bottoms out, then back it out 2.5-3 complete revolutions.

For the choke, make sure the plunger on the side of the carb is attached and moving when you move the knob. The nut is plastic and somewhat delicate so be careful with it.

#145762 - 07/31/19 03:33 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Best of luck sorting this out. The guys have given you ideas to pursue, and you'll likely find a solution in them. Just be careful when working with your fuel system and carburetor and not loose parts or put things back together incorrectly once they're clean and working well. You'll learn a lot in the process, so go slow and take it a step at a time..

#145765 - 07/31/19 10:12 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
Selden Offline
Member L3

Loc: GA
One other comment : Change just one thing at a time, and keep track of every change you make.

#145784 - 08/05/19 04:42 AM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
Freebird Offline

Loc: Horse Shoe NC

thanks for the tips. I will start with trying to find the float bowl drain, open and see if we have any gas in there. I'm guessing the rest of this work involves removing the carb. Was trying to avoid that. can you remove the float bowl in place?
Also, I was wondering about the diaphragm. Saw some other posts about this needing to be replaced. I have always used no ethanol gas in the bike. Sorry basic mechanical skills, but never worked on bike carb before.

#145790 - 08/05/19 01:52 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Is this a 225 or a 250?

You can remove the bowl without removing the carb on a 225, but it's not the easiest thing to do. You've got to take more stuff apart to access the carb on the 250. The stock bowl screws are JIS and tend to be quite soft so the heads strip easily. Replacing them with M4 socket head cap screws from the hardware store makes it easier. Put a dab of anti-seize on the threads.

#145908 - 08/26/19 07:53 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
redninja Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: SW CO and AZ
Same problem here. Bike sat for around 2 years (due to mother-in-law moving in; 101 years old, Mr. redninja and I can't really leave the house at the same time, so no camping trips or even riding together. My bike is ok due to me riding to forest looking for firewood each year). So a few months ago, I realized the Stabil in the tank was good for only 6 months; so figured I would drain out all the gas. Of course the drain screw on the carb
had been buggered up by a previous owner, so I pulled off the fuel line to drain. Replaced line and filter. Then petcock started leaking, so ordered a rebuild kit.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when we had a guest that is slightly less inept than we are, so we decided to rebuild the petcock. That went fine. Put everything back together, put in fresh gas, but bike would not start. Fuel flowed freely out of the hose/filter. There was spark. Bike would start with starting fluid sprayed into air intake. It actually also started on its own a couple of times, but died right away. (Battery had been on charger periodically during the down time, so is good). So we attacked the carb drain screw (new one on order) and drained the bowl. And found out no fuel is going into the bowl. Zero. Tapped carb in case float was stuck; nada.

So I started reading here and other sites since I don't know anything about carbs, and think maybe the needle thing is clogged/corroded? I'm all for removing the carb, but the Mr. says no way. So I said we could at least remove the float bowl with the carb still on bike and have a look-see.Those screws are pristine, but I have a set of the Japanese screwdrivers arriving tomorrow, and of course will replace the screws.

Bike is Mr. redninja's 2003 xt225.

Any thoughts?

#145920 - 08/27/19 03:06 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Pull the fuel hose off the carb inlet. Spray good carb cleaner (Berryman is my favorite) in the hole until it won't hold any more. Let that soak for a while. Take something like a Dremel (anything that's small and buzzes shocked ), turn it on with no tool installed, and press whatever part of the handle you can against the bowl and hold it there for a bit. The vibration from the dremel will act like ultrasonic agitation. Drain and give it a shot. It you repeat that a few times with no success, I'd say it'll have to come apart.

#145922 - 08/27/19 05:51 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: peejman]
redninja Offline
Bronze Member

OK, I did part of that already; put the carb cleaner in. Did not do the buzzing though, so I will do it again with the Dremel. And, I might add for anyone else that might attempt this, carb cleaner hurts like hell in the eyes, but rinses right out. eek eek DAMHIK. It might be good to wear safety glasses, AND hold a large rag over the whole thing. Stay tuned.....

#145924 - 08/27/19 06:37 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: redninja]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Hi Redninja! Long time no see! Sorry that Mr. Redninja's bike has carb problems. The alcohol laced gasoline we're saddled with these days will gum up anything it's left sitting in. I don't blame your Mr. for not wanting to remove, disassemble and clean that carburetor. It's doable, but a long way from a fun job. Hopefully you'll solve the problem with suggestions found here and won't have to go the hard route. Keep us posted as you sort this problem out, and the best always to you and the Mr..

George

#145934 - 08/28/19 10:24 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
redninja Offline
Bronze Member

Well, carb is off the bike. Turns out the bowl screws weren't pristine as I thought; even with the JIS screwdriver two of the screw heads stripped immediately. Or maybe they had been messed with by previous owner. So I had to make slots in the heads with the Dremel. Very carefully. Worked fine. So I cleaned the main jet, which was pretty gunked up, and am soaking the little one right now (of course using the cleaning procedures found on this site). How tight should that little one be? The big one came off fine, but the little one was really stuck. I finally got it out, but the head got messed up slightly. Got the needle valve out; none of the moving parts were moving, so I cleaned it. I'm guessing the long, square shaped thing inside should be moving freely? Seems to be a little "catchy", so maybe I should just get a new one. And, any tips on how to get the needle valve assembly back in the hole ? ........Anything else I should do as long as the carb is off? I am not up to disassembling the whole carb, for sure. Thanks for any advice !!

#145937 - 08/28/19 11:57 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: redninja]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

With the carb off the bike, careful disassembly really isn't all that difficult. If things are gummed up just looking from the outside, imagine what it's like on the inside. At this point, if it were me (I'm glad it's not), I'd disassemble it, soak it clean in carb cleaner, order a rebuild kit and put it back together with new parts. There's good online tutorials on how to properly do this if it's new to you, and once done you can be confidant the carb will work like it should again.

You know your own limitations, so don't tackle something you're not sure of. Study the online tutorials before making whatever decision you're comfortable with, and good luck whichever way you go - complete disassembly, cleaning and a rebuild kit, or something less than that.

#145938 - 08/29/19 01:50 AM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
redninja Offline
Bronze Member

Oooooh, George, you are a hard taskmaster ! I know it SHOULD be rebuilt, but we'll see. Need to do more study.......

#145939 - 08/29/19 04:16 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

You've already removed most of the removable parts. Good aerosol cleaner and compressed air should clean out all the nooks and crannies.

The pilot jet just needs to be snug.

I'd replace the float needle and seat since it's apart.

And also remove and clean the mixture screw passage.

Edited by peejman (08/29/19 04:28 PM)

#145942 - 08/29/19 05:25 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Berryman B-12 is good carb cleaner. Available from most auto parts stores. Use safely glasses as the spray is strong and can ricochet off surfaces back into your eyes. The extension tube is handy for tight spaces and flushing out passages. Good luck!

It also doubles as instant insect killer!

#145945 - 08/30/19 02:37 AM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
redninja Offline
Bronze Member

Tick,tock; waiting for parts to arrive......Thanks to all for advice !

#145962 - 09/08/19 02:22 AM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: redninja]
redninja Offline
Bronze Member

Got it all put back together and running. It was getting dark so I kinda just threw it together; I think I need to adjust the throttle cables better. Was not appropriately attired, so I just rode around the property a bit...needs further testing.

#145969 - 09/09/19 01:35 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Freebird]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Glad you got it running again.

#145970 - 09/09/19 03:02 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: redninja]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: redninja
..Got it all put back together and running. It was getting dark so I kinda just threw it together; I think I need to adjust the throttle cables better. Was not appropriately attired, so I just rode around the property a bit...needs further testing..

Well done, good for you. Let us know how further testing goes, and enjoy the rest of the summer, Redninja. Do you guys continue to winter in Arizona?

#145978 - 09/11/19 02:04 AM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: Az4x4]
redninja Offline
Bronze Member

Hey, George.....We sold the house in AZ. I didn't go there that much since I have music obligations throughout the winter, so Mr. redninja would go by himself but would get bored after a few days. So the house didn't get used that much. Made out OK on the sale, though.

#145985 - 09/11/19 02:59 PM Re: bike will not draw fuel [Re: redninja]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Glad you made out OK on the house sale. Know how it is to own a property a long distance away that you seldom if ever use and have to be responsible for its upkeep and taxes. Sold my place in Tempe after moving here to the Rim following Deon's death for the same reason. Did OK on that sale too, and not having to worry about the place anymore was a load off my shoulders. So, good on you guys! Enjoy yourselves in Colorado, and be safe always..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5834
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4335
peejman 3293
kris 2366
Paul49 1755
Doc250 1643