Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143949 - 01/09/19 07:04 PM Starting the New Year: Linux & BSD on the desktop!
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Distrowatch published their latest weekly review of desktop Linux and BSD two days ago. It's well worth reading for anyone with an interest in what desktop Linux and BSD offers users today.

Not far into this latest review you'll find a section titled: Musings on distros after prolonged use (2019)

In this section Jesse Smith reports on his long term experience with 8 different major Linux and BSD desktop distributions, highlighting their strengths and weaknesses while classifying them in accord with their overall usability and ease of use.

Mr. Smith reviews Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, Linux Mint, MX Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS, TrueOS (aka PC-BSD), plus Ubuntu & its various Community Editions - each of which he has considerable time and real world experience with over the years. Any of these you have an interest in is well reviewed in this particular section.

Hope you enjoy this latest Distrowatch review. I'm not involved with it in any way other than in recommending it as a well written, worthwhile, highly informative read!

Enjoy!

#143956 - 01/10/19 03:13 PM Re: Starting the New Year: Linux & BSD on the desktop! [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Thanks for the heads up. I'm still on Mint 18.3 which is so far behaving.

The Raspberry pi 3 model B is impressive (runs Linux). I just loaded Audacity on it to do some audio editing. Plugged in my earphones too. Works great. Make it your belated Christmas present.

#143993 - 01/14/19 01:58 PM Re: Starting the New Year: Linux & BSD on the desktop! [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
..Thanks for the heads up. I'm still on Mint 18.3 which is so far behaving..

Linux Mint is famous for it's consistent behavior and long term stability. Jesse Smith's comments regarding Linux Mint in the referenced article point out some of the reasons this is the case.

"Over the years I have used both of Linux Mint's major options (its Ubuntu-based and Debian-based branches). While I enjoyed both and generally found Mint to be one of the most easy and user friendly desktop distribution to use, I would say that the Ubuntu-based branch was generally a better experience.

"The Debian branch of Mint (Linux Mint Debian Edition) was relatively light and fast, but it has some problems. Specifically its software is older, it can't use personal package archives (PPAs), its installer (while good) is not as polished, and it cannot run Ubuntu-specific software that has not been ported back to Debian.

"However, with that being said, both branches of Mint are, in my opinion, very well put together. I've used multiple versions of each branch and generally found Mint offers the most capable out of the box experience, it is probably the easiest desktop distribution for Linux beginners, and I like how straight forward a lot of its tools (like the software centre and update manager) are. Mint's new focus on Timeshift is also welcome in my opinion as it makes it easier to rollback potential problems..."

..The Raspberry pi 3 model B is impressive (runs Linux). I just loaded Audacity on it to do some audio editing. Plugged in my earphones too. Works great. Make it your belated Christmas present..

Thanks for the prompting! Running a tiny form factor computer such as the Raspberry pi remains on my 'to do' list. Haven't come up with a specific need or role such a device might fill, but I'd like to get to it this year and see for myself what all the excitement is about!

#143994 - 01/14/19 03:56 PM Re: Starting the New Year: Linux & BSD on the desktop! [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Well it doesn't have to fulfill any computing role. It's something that, in your case, might fall into the fun hobby category. Only given your strong interest in Linux and PC hardware. That said, you'll find the pi to provide a very useful computing engine. Something I discovered quite by accident just experimenting with the board. Canakit has all the boards. I purchase through Amazon Prime. Figure on about $80 to get setup with the kit you'll need. You'll also need an HDMI monitor and USB keyboard/mouse combination. I use a 32 Gb microSD card. Plenty large enough for my needs. As for models, get the Rasberry pi 3 model B.

One consideration is the pi has no support for Oracle's VM VirtualBox. Hasn't been an issue for me since I have that on several laptops.

#144008 - 01/16/19 01:41 AM Re: Starting the New Year: Linux & BSD on the desktop! [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

..Well it doesn't have to fulfill any computing role. It's something that, in your case, might fall into the fun hobby category...given your strong interest in Linux and PC hardware. That said, you'll find the pi to provide a very useful computing engine.....

Once I've exited, as gracefully as possible, from a marriage I should have realized was destined to fail from the start two years ago, I may have time for a hobby project like this. In the meantime I keep as positive an attitude as I know how until the divorce, my first and definitely my last, is finalized. I do my best with things as they are while looking forward to brighter days ahead.

If these last couple of years have taught me anything it's that the marriage I shared for nearly five decades with the wife and sweetheart of my youth cannot be duplicated in any sense. The woman I married, loved, raised our family with then lost to cancer going on eight years ago, was truly one of a kind - impossible to replace in any sense of the word.

If you're blessed with a beloved marriage companion, let them know daily in word and deed how much they are loved and how vital they are to you. The years slip by like sand through our fingers, and one day one or the other will be left with only memories of what they've shared and the love imprinted on one another's hearts with daily words and deeds.

#144009 - 01/16/19 03:25 PM Re: Starting the New Year: Linux & BSD on the desktop! [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

George - I'm sorry to hear about the divorce. That said, you realize it isn't working and are taking steps to move forward in more positive directions. It took my oldest brother 37 years to find out his marriage wasn't working. And I question the latest flame too. You'll get free of it and move on.

I am grateful for my relationship with Jeannie. I met her when she was 14. Now 45 years later we're still enjoying ourselves. Yes it's always good to stay in touch with gratitude and appreciation for things easily taken for granted. And make sure you express that appreciation/gratitude with the other party. You're correct. Those years and a special person sharing them can't be replaced. Same with old friends.

As for hobbies, when the timing is right, they provide a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction. This forum and the pi board aren't going anywhere. When the mind is ready, a teacher will appear. Good luck with getting your divorce sorted out. On the way to that resolution, enjoy each day to the fullest.

#144015 - 01/16/19 08:14 PM Re: Starting the New Year: Linux & BSD on the desktop! [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

Thanks Scott. I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement. I grew up 'old school'. Marriage was forever and I was dedicated to making it so.

My life long marriage companion was the perfect match, something you and Jeannie can appreciate. We had issues to be sure, but nothing that came close to derailing us. When times got tough we pulled together more strongly. However once Deon died I found myself at loose ends, knowing only that I missed her terribly and somehow didn't feel 'right' on my own.

Anyway, with no rule book or list of instructions about what to do next, I was more than ready when the lady I married showed up.

At the beginning I believed what we had together would carry us through long term. Little did I know that what I saw in her at the start was a thin veneer of 'nice' spread on top of a well of jealous insecurity - something she candidly admitted to as time went by.

That didn't play well, and try as I might to help her see past these life long hangups she was too set in her ways and too scared to try, which tore the patch completely off the cloth. And that was that.

Remind me if you will, should I ever think marriage might be the way to go again, that people don't change, mainly because they don't want to change, and finding someone you enjoy being with long term, at any age, is at best a difficult task.

#144018 - 01/16/19 11:15 PM Re: Starting the New Year: Linux & BSD on the desktop! [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

George - Least I can do for someone dealing with hardship V2.0 A grief shared is half a grief and a joy shared is twice a joy. So I've found out over the years. I hope you find that experience in another more compatible with your lifestyle.

A good guideline for finding a second relationship is to wait 3-5 years before marrying. Especially later in life when things get more complex. It usually takes that long to see all the cards in the deck. And that, in no way, means you can't enjoy one another's company during that settling time. If someone is in a hurry, that raises a red flag in my book.

The circumstances by which you lost Deon were, indeed, sad. Just a tough break dealt by the hands of fate for reasons never to be known. One can't help feeling a measure of compassion. All that said, there is someone out there for you. Try to keep your chin up and spirits high. Looking into the stars, all of this happens for a reason. And things usually work out in time.

#144111 - Yesterday at 08:00 AM Re: Starting the New Year: Linux & BSD on the desktop! [Re: Az4x4]
Qwazert Offline
Member L3

Loc: Lower Rainland BC
I'm reading this thread about Linux and such...and the last two or three posts have really stirred me.

My wife and I just celebrated our 30th year of marriage tonight...and the consensus is that the years have indeed, flown by.
Sure there were "tough" times with mortgages, teething kids and school activities that never seemed to end, but now here we are...(almost) empty-nester's with retirement on the horizon, wondering where the last 3 decades went!

Tonight at dinner, I said something to the effect of "here's to 30 more" and we shared a gasp at the thought. 30 years from now...I'll be 90 and she won't be far behind me, and you can't help but wonder if it will still be the two of us, or maybe just one.
We both came from stock that held marriage as something sacred; her parents recently celebrated 65 years and mine shared almost 60 before Dad went. But then again, we've collectively had 4 divorces in our families, amongst our siblings, so maybe long marriages aren't hereditary.

But you're right about one thing, and that is to let those in your life who matter, know that they do.

Edited by Qwazert (Yesterday at 08:00 AM)

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
1 registered (Az4x4), 56 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11639
alexd 5915
Muniac 5581
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4119
peejman 3021
kris 2366
Doc250 1643
Paul49 1640