Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143663 - 11/29/18 09:08 PM Take a look at Ubuntu Studio!..
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

With winter on the horizon or already here for some, many of us have time to enjoy looking over a custom distro like Ubuntu Studio (click the link to check it out). It comes complete with audio editing, desktop publishing, video production and graphic design software that covers virtually anything and everything you'll likely need.

Two of today's top desktop environments are available, Xfce and KDE Plasma. My son records, mixes and masters, and creates music videos using Ubuntu Studio. He also surfs the web and keeps his business on track with it. Literally everything he needs to do he does with Ubuntu Studio, start to finish!

Ubuntu Studio developers have created a custom Linux distro that offers the finest multimedia open-source software available anywhere, providing the tools needed for writing and publishing e-books, editing videos, working with photos or recording great music. Everything you'll likely need is already there - completely free! Anything that may be missing to manage your daily work flow will be instantly available for download and installation from Ubuntu's massive free software repositories!

With ride time falling off and snow beginning to pile up for many of us, this may be a great time to take a look at some of the outstanding Linux desktop offerings available these days, with Ubuntu Studio a great place to start!

#143664 - 11/30/18 02:01 AM Re: Take a look at Ubuntu Studio!.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
I've used Audacity for years for the occasional editing tasks. Nice to see an O/S slanted for media, however. This stuff just keeps getting better. What hardware is your son on?

Thanks for the update.

#143666 - 11/30/18 06:10 AM Re: Take a look at Ubuntu Studio!.. [Re: Az4x4]
Qwazert Offline
Member L3

Loc: Lower Rainland BC
Is this a standalone package or is it included in the latest version of Ubuntu?
Would it work with Mint?

#143674 - 12/01/18 03:02 AM Re: Take a look at Ubuntu Studio!.. [Re: Qwazert]
Beaker Offline
Member L2

Loc: Colorado Front Range, US
Originally Posted By: Qwazert
Is this a standalone package or is it included in the latest version of Ubuntu?

It's a custom version of Ubuntu focused on multimedia applications like audio/video editing. Looks like they've improved USB device probing and have auto-configuration for the Jack program. It also doesn't use whatever desktop environment (DE) the standard desktop version of Ubuntu uses these days, opting for the lighter XFCE DE instead.

Quote:
Would it work with Mint?

You could always install one or more of the multimedia applications on Mint. Depending on your hardware you might need to switch to a lighter DE as Cinnamon seems to use a lot on memory. Mate is a bit lighter, or so I've read; never tried it myself. LMDE only comes with Cinnamon now.

#143676 - 12/01/18 03:55 PM Re: Take a look at Ubuntu Studio!.. [Re: Beaker]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Originally Posted By: Beaker
Quote:
Would it work with Mint?
You could always install one or more of the multimedia applications on Mint. Depending on your hardware you might need to switch to a lighter DE as Cinnamon seems to use a lot on memory. Mate is a bit lighter, or so I've read; never tried it myself. LMDE only comes with Cinnamon now.

I use the Mate'DE on all my Mint installations. It's a modern, fast, lightweight, massively configurable continuation of the wildly popular Gnome 2.x desktop, the DE that dominated Linux desktops before the disaster that was Gnome 3 was introduced as its replacement. If you've never tried Mate' as your DE, then I'd recommend installing it alongside Cinnamon so you can select which one you want to work with on bootup. Take your time discovering everything Mate' brings to the table! You'll be impressed if you do.

And yes, you can install and run every application Ubuntu Studio comes packaged with on any Linux OS you like, Mint included. The advantage for those who's work revolves around these applications is they come preinstalled with Ubuntu Studio, ready to be put to work immediately.

As for my son's hardware, he runs a newer i7 powered Lenovo business laptop with lots of power and capacity under the hood.

#143677 - 12/01/18 05:02 PM Re: Take a look at Ubuntu Studio!.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
George - Thanks. HP is a requirement for video/audio editing programs. Pretty much any of them. I have an old Rain Recording laptop with Sony Vegas Pro and Acid Music loaded. It handles the XDCAM format coming out of my Sony camcorder. All the videos on this site were produced with that tool chain. Better stuff out there now I'd imagine.

I'm looking at options to create videos with less complexity. Example and training stuff for this site. A project for a rainy day perhaps.

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11629
alexd 5915
Muniac 5531
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4098
peejman 2981
kris 2365
Doc250 1643
Paul49 1623