OK...looks like I'll be taking matters into my own hands.
(Each of the LINKs below the pic, takes you to a full-size version...sorry I don't know how to do it otherwise!)
First, I remove the grab bars to access a secure mounting point. Then I install some "stand-offs" to bring the mounting holes outside of the plastics.
The stand-offs are nothing more than 3/4" Aluminum dowel, drilled through and tapped to 8mm.
Then I insert a length of "Reddi-rod" and Loc-tite it into place: LINK
The threaded rod goes in about ½" into the dowel.
Once installed onto the bike, it looks like this: LINK
In this particular case, I will have to go back to the lathe and shorten the front dowels by about 3/8". My initial measurements were "rough" and I knew there was a chance that I would be going back to the tools to fine tune.
This shows the mounts on the muffler side, as well as how I reformed the plastics to accommodate. LINK
Then I notched out the exhaust shield so that this future rack would fit, without rubbing on the shield and causing more noises! LINK
What the left side looks like: LINK
So now that I have mounting points, I can design a rack to fit. The rack frame will require some "geometry" in order to miss some components...it will probably be shaped something like this: LINK
Crude, basic layout...finished product will be curvier and more appealing.
Instead of the ¼" aluminum stock that I used last time, I will probably opt for the 3/16" or maybe even 1/8" risers. The one I made for the XT225 was overkill AFAIC.
...more to come.