Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142946 - 09/13/18 02:57 AM Honda CRF 230L dual-sport -- new to me..
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

While casually scanning Craigslist for a Yamaha XT this past Monday, something that's rare as hen's teeth these days, I came across a 2008 Honda CRF 230L, another rare bird of the light weight dual-sport persuasion.

A fellow had it sitting in his garage and up for sale. His wife had ridden it, putting 7300 miles on it since they purchased it new. She's small, less than 100 lbs, and no longer rides the bike.

Turned out the bike was in pristine condition, a true one owner jewel. Given the resale value on lightweight dual-sport bikes like this, which continue to rise in value as fewer and fewer show up for sale, at $2k I wasn't about to turn this machine down!

A 70 mile round trip to Snowflake and back, and the bike came home with us. It's completely stock, right down to the California emissions equipment still in place along with its original Trail Wing tires -- which show surprisingly little wear (little wonder given how small the lady who rode it was)!

The bike starts instantly and runs quiet as a mouse. First Honda I've owned since the late 60s and the new Honda 125 trials bike I bought back then. I'll keep this CRF 230L completely stock as I dig into what's the best route to improving overall performance on a budget.

Still have my eye out for an XT, but a truly good one hasn't shown up anywhere near us in a long time. Those that do occasionally show up, usually a long way away, are sold before I'd reasonably be able to make the drive, so this all original Honda CRF 230L will do for now.

Anyone who has experience with the Honda CRF 230L, who'd like to share some of what they know, I'd be mighty pleased to hear from them! First impressions on my part tell me it's a keeper. But from there I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to how best to set one up for riding at 6600 feet and higher.

It's much the same as the XT225, weighing in at just over 250 lbs dry and running Honda's air cooled OHC single cylinder 223cc engine lashed up to a silky smooth 6 speed transmission. With a seat height of 31" it's every bit as easy to handle as an XT.

Beyond that I've got a lot to learn about the bike. Any suggestions or other help would be appreciated!..

#142950 - 09/13/18 01:46 PM Re: Honda CRF 230L dual-sport -- new to me.. [Re: Az4x4]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Nice score!

#142953 - 09/13/18 10:12 PM Re: Honda CRF 230L dual-sport -- new to me.. [Re: peejman]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks PJ. It's definitely a nice find. Spent time on it today and it's smooth as silk. Incredibly well taken care of for its age, and virtually free of blemishes. Having lived its life ridden by a very small woman it shows virtually no wear at all.

I like the disc brakes it has front and rear, and its power is sufficient in much the same way that the XT225 makes sufficient power for what it's designed for. A near ideal bike for what it'll be used for here in the high country.

Interesting though, given how well built these Honda CRF 230s are, so far I've found little in the way of active forums related to these bikes -- nothing like we have here with Scott's XT225-250 site. Still trying to get a handle on why that might be -- or maybe I simply haven't found the right CRF site yet. We'll see..

#142993 - 09/18/18 06:40 PM Re: Honda CRF 230L dual-sport -- new to me.. [Re: Az4x4]
cogitech Offline
Member L1

Loc: Kamloops, BC
Very nice find, indeed! Nearly identical specs to the XT. I'd say it is a keeper.

Here's a pretty decent gathering of CRF230L owners...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/crf230l-owners-check-in.425150/

#142996 - 09/18/18 10:52 PM Re: Honda CRF 230L dual-sport -- new to me.. [Re: cogitech]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks Cogitech. Earlier I located the Adventure Rider thread you pointed out. It's a good gathering place for CRF230 owners and riders, but nowhere near the activity level that Scott's site offers the XT225-250 crowd.

Still, lots of people involved there and good information is available! Just glad there is such a resource to go to if answers are ever needed.

#143011 - 09/21/18 01:29 AM Re: Honda CRF 230L dual-sport -- new to me.. [Re: Az4x4]
Aguaski Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
George, I bought your last XT225 from you. I drop-in this forum every once and a while and I was surprised to hear you are getting back in the dual sport game. Good for you! Keep at it as long as you can. I kind of feel bad having taken your last XT225, but it is in a good home, and I am having a lot of fun with it. I am especially looking forward to increasing my use of the XT225 as the weather starts to cool down in the Phoenix area. I havenít mucked up the xt225 with stupid mods and donít plan to. The primary mod I made was me loosing 15 pounds, and that seems to have worked terrifically. Congratulations on the CRF230L and good luck in your search for another XT225.

Edited by Aguaski (09/21/18 02:47 AM)

#143027 - 09/21/18 06:20 PM Re: Honda CRF 230L dual-sport -- new to me.. [Re: Aguaski]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

I'm glad my last XT225 went to a good home! At that time I'd come close to talking myself out of riding any longer. I mean, at some point, while you're still healthy and in decent shape even though the years are adding up fast, changes need to be made.. Right?..

Didn't count on how hard it was to give up something you really enjoy like riding, even though you may not 'bounce' like you used to, which could be a problem exploring offroad here in the high country if you don't change where and how you ride.

So, much to the chagrin of those who don't understand I'm back on a light weight dual-sport and enjoying it as much as ever -- a very good thing! Had I come across another XT225 I'd be riding it today. As things worked out it was a Honda CRF230L that I lucked into -- with the emphasis on "luck"!..

Glad to hear the Valley is slowly cooling a bit. Talked to my son in Mesa the other day and it was 114F there. We're enjoying low 50's night time temps with rain every two or three days and afternoons in the mid to high 70's. Peach, pear and apple trees have gone crazy producing fruit this year, vegetable gardens as well. My wife runs her dehydrator every day plus she bottles all sorts of fruit and vegetables for storage. Gotta make hay while the sun shines, so she does!..

Glad to hear you've lost some weight. Carrying around excess pounds is more difficult than people realize, especially if you intend to stay active..

If you guys get up this way again give us a call and stop by for a visit!..

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11620
alexd 5915
Muniac 5512
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4095
peejman 2969
kris 2365
Doc250 1643
Paul49 1621