Shawn C,

You are a life saver!

I just finished rebuilding my 1992 Xt225 and the darn thing just would start. I would turn over, it had compression, spark, gas, air....and the thing just would just get a slight sputter sometimes. Considering the year and te rough condition of the bike, I started thinking the purchase of the bike and the time and money put into rebuilding it was a total waste. The fact that it sputtered sometimes kept me going so I was thinking maybe it was a timing issue.

So I drained the oil and reopened the alternator cover. Not being a mechanic, I used your step by step guide to get to the bottom timing chain sprocket and there it was! The chain wasn't even on the sprocket! I then reinstalled everything like you wrote making sure all the timing notches were lined up. Closed everything up, threw some new oil in there and she started right up!!

I have litterally spent most of my spare time all summer working on this bike and your write up helped make it all worth it. Big thanks from this kid who now has a functional Serow with a newly rebuilt engine and carb for a total of 850$ CAD. I'd say that's a pretty good bargain.

Keep it simple