Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
'Windows' desktop is about to change - forever.. #142343 07/30/18 02:41 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

For 3 decades and more the PCs people have used have been primarily Windows machines, computers they owned and personally controlled. That’s about to change. Forever.

This isn’t about Microsoft pushing people from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 as fast as it can. It has found ways to do that already. This is about Microsoft preparing to move away from Windows 10 as a conventional PC desktop and replace it with what they’ll call “Microsoft Managed Desktop,” a “desktop-as-a-service” (DaaS) they'll soon offer. Instead of controlling your PC’s installation of Windows 10, you’ll “rent” Windows desktop-as-a-service on your PC month to month.

“Microsoft Managed Desktop” will be game changing approach to what the PC desktop has always been. Once you’ve signed up for the service Microsoft will install the bulk of its new DaaS operating system on your PC, but you won’t be in charge of it. It will be automatically controlled and patched in whatever way Microsoft deems necessary. Once signed up for this soon to be available 'service' you’ll no longer have any say in what Microsoft does with your PC's operating system.

Maybe you’ll be OK with that. Maybe not.

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: 'Windows' desktop is about to change - forever.. [Re: Az4x4] #142348 07/30/18 06:16 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Well you don't have a lot of say in current Windows PCs. I've often said after purchasing a Windows PC, who really owns it?

For basic browsing and perhaps a client email program like Thunderbird, we've got lots of options.

As for PCs and/or mobile devices, the vast majority of people just want to pay and play. Less the hassles of becoming an admin person or tech support guru. Perfectly understandable.

I still like a PC and owning the hardware. Doing my own backups and software installs too. But that's just me.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: 'Windows' desktop is about to change - forever.. [Re: Az4x4] #142349 07/30/18 08:28 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I'd guess a very large percentage of personal users have a tablet instead of a PC these days. PC's seem to be relegated to the office, and even lots of offices use tablets as well. When the time comes to finally replace my current home PC, I'll think long and hard about what to get because I don't really need a PC at home anymore.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: 'Windows' desktop is about to change - forever.. [Re: Muniac] #142352 07/31/18 01:13 AM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
.....I still like a PC and owning the hardware. Doing my own backups and software installs too. But that's just me...

That's 'just you' and 'just me,' Scott, along with millions upon millions of serious PC users across the country and around the world.

Cutting our computing teeth on our own equipment, getting the most out of what we had to work regardless of the issues we faced, working our way through problems and learning as we go -- people like us won't be persuaded to abandon the control we've enjoyed or the perfectly good machines we're still running and turn the keys to our personal computing over to Microsoft for a monthly fee.

These won't sit idly by while MS makes all the decisions about what they can and can't do with their PCs any more than you or I will. Not when freely available cutting edge Linux desktop OSs are easily installed and a pleasure to use as daily drivers.

There will be those who grow up in the years ahead thinking that what MS has to offer with their 'DaaS service' is the way 'personal computing' is supposed to be. These will essentially be 'appliance operators,' no longer knowledgeable PC owners and users. And that's what MS is shooting for -- a whole new generation of 'DaaS customers' with no interest in how this came about or what it means, knowing only that they're able to 'pay-a-monthly-fee-to-play,' without concern for the 'techy' side of things..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: 'Windows' desktop is about to change - forever.. [Re: Az4x4] #142358 07/31/18 07:44 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
George - Options are good and we have many. I don't feel forced to abandon my obsolete computing habits. There are always work arounds to get the functionality you need.

A paid subscription service has its merits. This site, for example, rents "computing" from an ISP. It includes tons of stuff I could never provide as a single person. Millions of people use it so costs are reasonable. And support is good. All concerned walk away happy. And the ISP makes a lot of decisions about its service level, products, upgrades, security, versions, etc. Which I have no input on meaning it's off my desktop.

The PCs I use for development and special applications are different. I won't use cloud storage for backups. My WD Passport drive is fine. I want to own the hardware and have control over the software. PITA sometimes but that's how it goes.

The market will ultimately decide how well MS will do with its rent-a-pc plan. If it serves the market well, it will succeed. Rough edges need customer feedback. Shady dealings (as one defines them) should be lost business. As of this moment, I have no plans on using this service. Can't condem it either as it may be just what some folks are looking for. Options are good.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: 'Windows' desktop is about to change - forever.. [Re: Muniac] #142359 07/31/18 10:42 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
.....it (MS's DaaS - 'Desktop as a Service') may be just what some folks are looking for. Options are good..

DaaS clearly will be what certain folks want and need. In such cases it'll prove its worth. On the other hand millions who don't want or need MS's paid monthly DaaS service will find exceptionally well engineered top tier Linux powered desktop operating systems freely available. Options are good indeed!..

Re: 'Windows' desktop is about to change - forever.. [Re: Az4x4] #142365 08/01/18 03:33 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yes I think the Linux O/S options have been made pretty clearly. I use it and I'm glad it's there. Others just want a different experience and that's fine.

Part of the spirit of this forum was to assist those with technical issues relating to Linux. How to get a basic system running, loaded, tweaked, etc. The reality is, it ain't seeing a lot of activity. Except that handful already on board. Oh well, that's the market.

Evolve & Simplify

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Deserteagle56), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,620
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,072
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,160
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,113
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics