Fab Ads
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142117 - 07/09/18 05:15 PM Geting Rain
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
We've been slowly getting some rain in our area. Yesterday the San Juan Mountains saw heavy rains for about 1 hour. 550 got hit with 3 washouts. Here's an new article on the one just north of Engineer Mountain Rd. Road is still closed.

We spoke with the emergency crew last night. They said people were trapped up on Engineer Mountain Rd. and in the Ironton area. No one was hurt as of last night. Some are going to be camping longer than expected, however.

#142129 - 07/09/18 06:52 PM Re: Geting Rain [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Looks like the monsoon season's finally here! Yeaaa!! We've had light rain the last three days. Afternoons clouding up and everything looking better. Hope it keeps up for weeks to come. We'll see how it goes..

#142130 - 07/09/18 11:32 PM Re: Geting Rain [Re: Muniac]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Well 550 is closed from MM 80-92. This shuts down a lot of alpine roads. Washouts from photos don't look promising for a quick opening of the road.

We had a little rain here early evening. Need much more, however, and what we are getting is a start. Grateful for moisture. 93F today @ 9% RHI. Living spaces, 70F @ 60% RHI. Evaporative cooling works quite well. Solves two problems.

#142135 - 07/10/18 02:23 PM Re: Geting Rain [Re: Muniac]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Took a drive up to where Engineer Mountain Rd hits 550 last night. They just opened the road late afternoon (yesterday). That being a single lane with an automated traffic light. I gather they need to inspect the outside lane for damage. Effecting repairs if/as necessary. Very happy to see that road opened. The base of Ruby Wall is known to be a problem. Extensive work has been done there to beef it up. The heavy rainstorm two days ago will be a good test. I hope all is OK. Travel safely.

#142137 - 07/10/18 02:29 PM Re: Geting Rain [Re: Muniac]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
9% humidity. Wow. shocked It was about 90F and 70% RH while I mowed yesterday after work.

Hopefully the rain will curtail the fire risk without too much collateral damage.

#142143 - 07/10/18 03:31 PM Re: Geting Rain [Re: Muniac]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

That low RHI is pretty normal for us this time of year. Usually with temps 88-93F in mid afternoon. If a storm blows in, temps can drop to 65F and 99% RHI. Water evaporating in low humidity can bring down the temperature fast. But it doesn't last long.

We're seeing low 70s @ RHI 44% overnight now. Rain prediction percentages are higher now (20-50%). Seeing cloud formations too. Building in the afternoon heat. We could use a little rain up here now. I'm hopeful.

I'm sitting in my shop right now. 71F @ 63% RHI. Ass in seat for a while writing software. Get up every 1/2 hour and walk around the house 3 times.

#142147 - 07/10/18 07:44 PM Re: Geting Rain [Re: Muniac]
Deserteagle56 Offline
Member L2

Loc: Central Nevada, USA
Send some of that rain our way! Been 100+ degrees with single-digit humidity the past couple days. Below is what is happening about an hour's drive north of my home. Locals are PO'd - news releases talk about how hard the firefighters are working to control the fire but it appears that really the fire crews aren't doing anything but letting the fire burn itself out. They've worked to protect any buildings (very few, very remote area) but that's all. And investigators are asking about a red Razor that was seen in the area shooting off fireworks just before the fire started.
https://elkodaily.com/news/local/firefig...ome-top-story-1

#142148 - 07/10/18 07:55 PM Re: Geting Rain [Re: Muniac]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

We saw a campfire burning last night. 3rd one we've spotted. That in direct violation of an open fire ban. People don't give a crap! I will say that the area in question got soaked with rain so no imminent fire danger. But there are no exceptions to the ban. NO OPEN FIRES!

As mentioned, 550 is open with one lane. The crews are up there inspecting the outer lane for damage. They'll open it soon. Engineer Mountain Rd is closed for inspect too. There are some walls up there known to be highly unstable with rock slides. Immediate death to anyone underneath one should something let go above.

Crews here know their sh*t. And in an area with a rich mining history, these folks know about rocks, digging, blasting, cave ins, supporting, etc. Don't know what lies ahead with heavy rains, flash floods and water damage. Hope water comes gracefully. Wishing same for you. Be safe.

#142151 - 07/11/18 10:38 PM Re: Geting Rain [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

I'll take all the rain we can get and deal with whatever problems it brings, as opposed to little or no rain and the huge problems that forces upon us.

Arizona's decision to close huge sections of forest land to the public this summer has been a success. What would have been a touch and go fire season, with hordes of careless campers romping through the woods, has been relatively quiet with only a scattered few burns that were quickly put out.

With the monsoon rains finally moving in and good downpours each afternoon our fire danger level is rapidly falling. Closed areas of the forest remain closed, and trespassers are being harshly dealt with by law enforcement, but the overall effect is that it looks as if we'll make it through this high fire threat season in relatively good shape -- and that's welcomed news..

#142157 - 07/12/18 04:10 PM Re: Geting Rain [Re: Muniac]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

We've been getting afternoon rains too. Lighting storms as well. As THIS WOMAN in Ouray, CO can confirm.

Water is welcome and I hope it comes gracefully so as to reduce the fire danger risks. Too much of it damages roads and creates problems for the road crews. Not to mention closures. The crowds remain elevated now until mid August when school starts. Then we need to get through Labor Day. Relief from crowds is always welcome. I'm happy for the local tourist economies, however.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11629
alexd 5915
Muniac 5531
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4098
peejman 2981
kris 2365
Doc250 1643
Paul49 1623