Fab Ads
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141300 - 04/13/18 03:36 PM Re: Bike Security [Re: garywi]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
I think Arizona (like Colorado) has a pretty strong castle doctrine. Here we have the "Make My Day Law" which is good. Makes would be criminals think twice about enter someone's house. No longer a soft target here.

Other more liberal states (like NJ, CA) will side with the criminal and basically you'll litigate all your money away. When the money is gone, you may or may not walk away with wrong doing on your part.

It still amazes me how the tables are turned away from those that own things and want to protect them on their property.

Take practical prevention steps to make theft as difficult as possible. An insurance rider covering theft may bring a little peace of mine. As for inflicting any type of personal injury, I'd stay far away from that.

#141304 - 04/13/18 07:30 PM Re: Bike Security [Re: garywi]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Deadly force isn't legal to protect property here, only people. Booby traps aren't legal either. Most theft seems to be "smash and grab" opportunity type where stuff was fairly easy to get. The only thing to do about that is make for a harder target.

#141306 - 04/13/18 10:51 PM Re: Bike Security [Re: garywi]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

All of this came to a harsh light when I took my CCW course in AZ. The fellow that taught the 16 hour course was excellent. He worked with police and served as an expert witness in many shooting cases. He cautioned all of us, don't pull the trigger! His comments about sprays was also interesting. One can get sued for using them years later when victims claim problems.

As for shooting, he said figure about 80k$ right up front for a lawyer. If they don't get you in criminal court they can retry the case in civil court. All of this depends on your state's castle doctrine and how rights to protect your property and family are written. In NJ, for example, you have no rights and the criminals have all the rights.

In rural areas where police response time is slow, what's one to do for protection?? Everyone here up on the hill has guns and there isn't any soft targets. Luckily crime is low.

I agree, make it as tough as possible for thieves.

#141316 - 04/14/18 04:04 AM Re: Bike Security [Re: garywi]
garywi Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: Somewhere, Arizona
I took the CCW class in AZ last year. Guy said you can't shoot someone in your garage but if they step in your house and you feel threatened, you are justified.

#141320 - 04/14/18 03:02 PM Re: Bike Security [Re: garywi]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Same here in Colorado. Home defense is treated very differently than other buildings on your property like a detached garage. Trespassing isn't taken lightly here either. In Torrey Utah, I saw several property signs saying, "If you get caught trespassing, you'll be shot." Thought the signs a bit odd but it may be backed up by laws protecting the property owners.

If you do shoot a robber who just broke into your home, best to finish it off. Because someone can come back at you years later with medical claims and lawsuits. Some lawyer will be glad to represent them. It's all about where the money is. If you own something or worse yet have cash assets someone will try to take it. It's a form of "legal" extortion and theft IMHO. I'd avoid getting into such circumstances if at all possible.

I support the 2nd amendment and think people have the right to own a gun. The vast majority do so legally. What I don't like seeing on the tube is people promoting that the average Joe can carry a gun for self defense and/or taking out a maniac. This glosses over so many complications that would arise in a shootout. That said, eliminating soft targets with those trained in firearms and protected by the law is a good thing. Schools come to mind. Guns don't shoot by themselves.

Freedom is an important part of being an American citizen. I like to see our freedoms protected not removed by misguided pressure groups. With those freedoms come responsibility to enjoy them in sustainable ways. And do so not at the expense of others who may see freedom differently. Maniacs just need to be removed from the game by any means necessary.

Background checks are a good thing and well in place here for anyone trying to purchase a firearm. Enforcement varies as we know. Going back to AZ which is a gun friendly state, firearms education is permitted in the schools. It won't happen given the school system is heavily influenced by liberals with an anti-gun mentality. So many issues we are facing as a nation could be solved with facts, education, good planning and less emotional effluent. My outlook is one of guarded optimism. I hope we can get a handle on things and come together as a nation. Complex!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
1 registered (onceona50), 30 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11629
alexd 5915
Muniac 5530
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4097
peejman 2981
kris 2365
Doc250 1643
Paul49 1623