Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140454 01/30/18 04:33 AM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Q4OS just posted a new release, v.3.1 'Testing', based on Debian's v10 'Buster' which is currently under development. I downloaded the 'Live' version, burned it to a USB stick, and ran it live to see some of what's in store once it's available for daily driver use. Big changes in the wind for Q4OS as it moves from v.2.4 to v.3.x! Going to be a lot of happy users once it's past this testing phase!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140456 01/30/18 04:39 AM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
You might want to post this under its own subject. Something to keep an eye on over time. As for us Mint users, why would we switch? Just curious.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140457 01/30/18 06:22 AM
Q
Qwazert Offline
Member L3
Member L3
Q
Originally Posted By: Az4x4

Originally Posted By: Qwazert
..The BIGGEST problem, is that Linux does not recognize Garmin GPS's and Garmin doesn't write Linux software..

That's true. However a Google search for solutions to running Garmin Map Source software in Linux comes back with page after page of suggestions, many reportedly working well. An idea I liked was to install Map Source in WINE running in Linux. See what you think after looking over the linked article..

Every article I've read so far says the same thing about WINE and EasyGPS...the two just don't get along...at all!
Tonight I booted into Linux Mint and ran Windows7 through WM and to my surprise, EasyGPS worked...so I might have an option after all.

I am posting via Win7 thru the VM, while in Linux...OS-ception!

Last edited by Qwazert; 01/30/18 06:24 AM.

http://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/
2009 XT250, 2010 DR650
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Qwazert] #140460 01/30/18 03:59 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Qwazert
.....Tonight I booted into Linux Mint and ran Windows7 through WM and to my surprise, EasyGPS worked...so I might have an option after all.

I am posting via Win7 thru the VM, while in Linux...OS-ception!..

There ya go! Good on ya!! That's why, on my tag along laptop, I run a VM instance of Win7 -- 'cause I never know if or when I'll need to run some Windows only program while working with others. Mostly it's not needed. But when it is it's instantly available to run whatever needs running, without having to bail out of Linux..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140461 01/30/18 05:00 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
WINE was created primarily to replicate certain aspects of the Windows O/S. I think its primary motivation was to run video games. It works by creating the system call environment that Windows programs expect while under Linux. Keyboard, HD and display being essential for most applications. Like Adobe photoshop and illustrator as examples. The USB port(s) becomes much more complex. Dealing with all the classes of devices one can plug in. If I recall the mass storage class (thumb drives) was supported. Things like cameras and GPS units fall under what I believe are OTG (on the go) devices.

I contacted the WINE development team some years ago when I ran into this stone wall with my Garmin GPS which requires a USB connection to down/up load to MapSource. They basically said the USB device drivers are extremely complex to deal with. I read that as support isn't coming anytime soon. So WINE has its weak points and/or areas that aren't supported properly. Making it hit/miss with some applications. Not an issue with VB.

Oracle's VB will handle any Windows applications. As it isn't just a system call simulator but a complete hardware level machine replication. Even supporting hardware/processor changes as PCs evolved over the years. It's an amazing piece of software and capable of running the most complex Windows programs with faithful replication of both the hardware and O/S of a native machine. That to include full USB support for all classes of devices.

I do a lot of automation work and needed to run a stepper drive configure program (Windows only). It uses the old serial DB9 style link which is available through a device driver and USB->serial converter cable. Newer PCs don't have those D-shell connectors anymore. I had no problems installing this software and the special drivers required to deal with the USB cable. All from my old Dell Inspiron 1501 running Linux Mint 17.3 (then). Using VB to give me a Windows guest O/S, of course.

Properly setup, a Linux machine running VB with a Windows guest O/S is indistinguishable from a true Windows PC. Except, perhaps, the guest additions pop-up menu below the system tray. That I believe can be changed if you want.

The other small wrinkle is getting USB drives to automatically enumerate when plugged in. If you go into Settings->USB and click on the filter icon (right) you can register a device there to automatically enumerate when plugged in under the guest O/S. Makes life just a tad nicer.
Enjoy!

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Muniac] #140462 01/30/18 06:57 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
..You might want to post this under its own subject..

The subject of this thread is Q4OS. It began having to do with installing Q4OS 'inside' Windows as an app running in that OS. That being the case this bit of breaking Q4OS news fits here because once Q4OS 3.1x is released as 'final' one will be able to download and install its Windows installation version just like they can download and install Q4OS 2.4's Windows installation version right now.

Originally Posted By: Muniac
..As for us Mint users, why would we switch? Just curious..

I doubt Mint users like us would ever switch! I certainly wouldn't. But again, if someone wants a light weight Linux OS to run 'inside' their Windows machine, essentially as a Windows app, then Q4OS is an ideal way to accomplish that..

Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140464 01/30/18 07:08 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thanks for the additional information. VB has a Windows download which could run Linux as a guest O/S. Just a thought.

Evolve & Simplify
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics