Fab Ads
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#140152 - 01/11/18 10:45 AM Number of members
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Loc: Lancashire, England
Hi Guys n Gals,

I just noticed the site stats show the number of members as being 4999, so I wonder who'll be the 5,000th?

Regards

Team Cabra, Brazilian XT225, Team Ukulele, Japan import XT225, a 250 to be named and loads of 2 stroke Kawasaki AR's!

#140158 - 01/11/18 04:40 PM Re: Number of members [Re: Reggie]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Reggie - I just released 4 new ones from the registration queue. So we'll see who makes the 5k. Most sites register members via an automated system which turns around applications quickly. Can't work that fast here by hand. Some don't want to bother with an Intro either and just bail out. Never posting anything. Others are willing to contribute an Intro up front and get a post count of 1. Once an Intro is approved, some will follow that up with questions and content advancing the post count.

So I have a ton of members with post counts of either 0 or 1. These figure into the member count. I should clean house at some point. Which involves major processing of the DB that drives this site. Needless to say, I haven't jumped at this project not wanted to crash the site. I also don't like trashing its history even if it's inactive registrants. If I new SQL a little better I could do a query on the DB and breakout member counts into post count categories. I'd guess it to be a bell curve.

Should do some stats on the traffic too. The number of people just looking HUGELY out weighs those who joined and are advancing the cause here. Overall things are running pretty well so I leave well enough alone. People enjoy the site, partake in the friendly demeanor and hopefully end a session with a bit more than when they arrived. A BIG thanks goes out to our long time posters and XT gurus. Without which this site would be much less than what it is.

In a couple of days we'll celebrate our 14th birthday. Putting me in my 15th year of admin work. Seems to have gone by quickly and I clearly remember this site having three members. Me and two riding friends. Straight ahead!

#140166 - 01/11/18 10:23 PM Re: Number of members [Re: Muniac]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Loc: Lancashire, England
Originally Posted By: Muniac
Reggie - I just released 4 new ones from the registration queue. So we'll see who makes the 5k. Most sites register members via an automated system which turns around applications quickly. Can't work that fast here by hand. Some don't want to bother with an Intro either and just bail out. Never posting anything. Others are willing to contribute an Intro up front and get a post count of 1. Once an Intro is approved, some will follow that up with questions and content advancing the post count.

So I have a ton of members with post counts of either 0 or 1. These figure into the member count. I should clean house at some point. Which involves major processing of the DB that drives this site. Needless to say, I haven't jumped at this project not wanted to crash the site. I also don't like trashing its history even if it's inactive registrants. If I new SQL a little better I could do a query on the DB and breakout member counts into post count categories. I'd guess it to be a bell curve.

Should do some stats on the traffic too. The number of people just looking HUGELY out weighs those who joined and are advancing the cause here. Overall things are running pretty well so I leave well enough alone. People enjoy the site, partake in the friendly demeanor and hopefully end a session with a bit more than when they arrived. A BIG thanks goes out to our long time posters and XT gurus. Without which this site would be much less than what it is.

In a couple of days we'll celebrate our 14th birthday. Putting me in my 15th year of admin work. Seems to have gone by quickly and I clearly remember this site having three members. Me and two riding friends. Straight ahead!

Hi Scott,

we all appreciate your hard work on the site, it's a pleasure to have like minded folk to deal with.

As for 14 years, well I've been waffling along here since about 2005'ish,! Where have those 13 years gone eh?

Regards to all.

Team Cabra, Brazilian XT225, Team Ukulele, Japan import XT225, a 250 to be named and loads of 2 stroke Kawasaki AR's!

#140170 - 01/12/18 01:05 PM Re: Number of members [Re: Reggie]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Originally Posted By: Reggie

Hi Scott,

we all appreciate your hard work on the site, it's a pleasure to have like minded folk to deal with.

As for 14 years, well I've been waffling along here since about 2005'ish,! Where have those 13 years gone eh?

Regards to all.

Indeed, we appreciate your effort.

I do a little SQL query stuff through work. I'd think it would be pretty simple to query users with post counts less than some small number, or last post dates older than some date. I'm not sure if removing them from the database would be problematic or not. You could also flip that around and get a list of "active members" who've posted within the last year or two if such a thing interested you.

But as they say, if it ain't broke....

#140172 - 01/12/18 04:24 PM Re: Number of members [Re: Reggie]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Thanks guys! My pleasure to keep the lights on and see everyone enjoying what we've all created here. And it is very much of a collective effort. Reggie was crowned MR. SEROW so that speaks for itself. Again BIG thanks to long standing members and gurus. Everyone appreciates it!

Some of the admin functions do provide elementary DB management through button clicks. Yes if it ain't broke....... Certainly applies. I can enter queries too. Jeannie was in IT for 30 years and did a lot of SQL stuff. Right now it's available time for me. Slim at the moment.

I'm in 15 hours on trying to resolve n RS485 comm problem for a customer. Very frustrating for something that should be easy. Things will work out fine, as they usually do. Thanks for the support and encouragement.

#140174 - 01/12/18 06:18 PM Re: Number of members [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

I'll add my voice to what the guys have already said Scott. We're fortunate you head this great site, and we wish you many more years administering it in the forward looking way you do.

Those who post a few times then disappear, never to be heard from again, are unknowingly the poorer for it. Those who hang around, ask questions, make friends, contribute what they will whenever they will, are those who give the site the scope and variety it offers all of us!

Keep on keepin' on!!..

#140177 - 01/12/18 08:28 PM Re: Number of members [Re: Reggie]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

George - Thanks. I do know a goodly number of folks here have made friends with other bike/riding enthusiasts in their area. I have met some nice folks too. Good to promote normal and traditional human relationships. Even if they germinate from a tech product.

I'm only a tiny fraction of this site's membership. I guess it's all about putting something back into the system with some pride and quality. Hoping for a good 2018.

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11583
alexd 5915
Muniac 5470
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4074
peejman 2912
kris 2365
Doc250 1643
Paul49 1606