I think we've hit somewhere between 6-8 deer in our career. 4 in CO, 1 in Texas and the rest I don't remember where. Thousands of dollars of damage racked up. Countless close calls have occurred too. Puts one's nerves on edge. Yes stay alert, keep a close eye on road shoulders and watch for any interruptions in the headlight beams of oncoming traffic. Pay attention to slowing vehicles in spots they usual don't slow down. The earlier you can get a game alert signal the better.

Moose were a problem on I80 connecting SLC with Park City in Utah. One couple was killed a couple of years ago hitting one. Biggest animal in the deer family. Around here, elk pretty much stay off the roads. The hunters call them the ghosts of the forests. Female deer by far out number any other road kill we see.

I've only seen a moose once near Crystal Lake off of 550 in the San Juan Mountains. Bob cats, mountain lions, fox, skunks, raccoons, bear, rabbits, squirrels, cattle, horses, prairie dogs, domestic cats, mice, dogs, snakes, turkeys and porcupines are other road sightings. I've never seen a bob cat, bear, elk, turkey or mountain lion killed on the road. Once or twice I've seen a bald eagle squashed. Rare, however. Drive safely.

Wonder how a driverless car would handle such a roadside outburst.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video