GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#139562 - 12/05/17 12:48 AM Photos
garywi Online   content
Member L2

Loc: Somewhere, Arizona
Just curious. Many forums now seem to have the option of hosting photos within the site, instead of having to host at a 3rd party and linking to post.

Wondering if there are plans to bring that into this board. Photo's are so important when trying to help someone. Making it easy to add the photo is a plus.

Thanks!

#139566 - 12/05/17 09:46 PM Re: Photos [Re: garywi]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Muniac will answer your question himself. In the meantime here's some of what he's already said in regard to hosting photos here:

Originally Posted By: Muniac
...It isn't so much the bread for storage but the stewardship problems that arise. It requires constant babysitting 24x7. Some years back I had photo hosting software on this site. A nightmare to say the least. I'm also under contract with Google which gets complex as far as what I can and can't do here. For now Imgur can host photos similar to photobucket...

#139604 - 12/07/17 04:15 PM Re: Photos [Re: garywi]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
I'd love to provide this feature. And the idea hasn't fallen off the desk. I need to reach out to the UBB Threads folks and see if they have a photo option.

Yes I agree that photos are a requirement. It's just figuring out how best to provide the service in a secure way that doesn't become a nightmare to keep tabs on.

Adv Rider is owned by SmugMug so they have photo hosting dialed in.

#139613 - 12/08/17 04:22 PM Re: Photos [Re: garywi]
garywi Online   content
Member L2

Loc: Somewhere, Arizona
Thanks Muniac. Coming back to the site after 4 years, I see all the well done how to posts with photos were gutted after photo bucket changed it policy. Now people are using different hosting sites. If those sites go away in the future, this site will be impacted again. If we host our own photos, we can maintain our history to support the users. Maybe get other moderators on board so all the work is not on your shoulders. Just some thoughts, I am sure you know..Thanks

#139630 - 12/09/17 10:22 PM Re: Photos [Re: garywi]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Yea I wasn't happy about seeing valuable content that people spent considerable amounts of time developing get trashed. Anything offered for free usually comes with hidden consequences. Paid photo hosting services are out there. Many are very reasonably priced ($3/mth or less) and provide HUGE amounts of storage, clean links and excellent organizational tools. All of them are secure too.

Photobucket inflicted damage with their policy change. But we need to regroup, rethink and rebuild to avoid such problems moving forward. I was hoping to catalog a collection of PDFs on common XT225/XT250 tips/tricks and how to information. Authored by members of our community. I've done a few and hoped others would follow.

LibreOffice offers excellent freeware up to the task of publishing PDFs. LibreOffice Writer is one tool in their suite which can be used. Very nice tool, BTW. I have enough server space here to store those documents. But it takes time to write a document and that's something not everyone has at the moment.

I've learned a lot over the past 14 years working on this site. Certainly not placing myself as an expert by any means. Still much to learn and improve on. And the technology is always changing. As for time, I've been a bit busy myself. A tad more than is normal but busy hands are happy hands. No complaints.

My hopes are I can keep the site in order, funded, fun and enjoyable for everyone that visits here. Glad you're enjoying your visits. Thanks for the input.

#139634 - 12/10/17 01:41 AM Re: Photos [Re: garywi]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
I've got full Adobe on my work PC, so converting things is just a couple clicks. I've never tried, but I'd presume I could convert HTML too.

#139653 - 12/10/17 07:38 PM Re: Photos [Re: garywi]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Not sure what tools Adobe offers now. They bought out Aldus PageMaker some years ago. Going back to the early days of desktop publishing. So many players have entered the market since then. I use LibreCAD for drawings. And LibreOffice for their writer. They have other good tools in their suite too.

I know these run under Windows XP. The x86 binaries shouldn't have a problem on new Windows versions unless Micro$haft has blocked these programs somehow. Linux, of course, isn't a problem. GIMP is the Linux image editor and competes with PhotoShop. Not a bad program. Illustrator, of course, is in a league all its own.

Anyway all the tools to publish professional PDFs are out there in freeware downloads. The usual learning curve prevails but worth the effort, in my opinion, given how these tools extent your capabilities.

HTML is generally a nightmare given all the browser bugs, version problems, band aid updates and patch work enhancements. Basic table driven pages aren't too hard to generate, however. Kompozer for Linux is what I've used. Not well supported now on newer distros. DreamWeaver was Adobe's HTML editor and a good program. I go back to V3 which is ancient. Not sure where the industry is now and/or what good HTML editors are available. Last time I checked, I didn't find too much in the freeware domain.

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11480
alexd 5915
Muniac 5088
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 3975
peejman 2466
kris 2363
Doc250 1643
JerryH 1508