Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. #139564 12/05/17 05:50 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Q4OS is a fast, powerful German developed operating system incorporating cutting edge Linux technologies in a modern, user friendly desktop environment. It's focus is on "security, reliability, long-term stability and conservative integration of verified new features."

Since it's introduction Q4OS has distinguished itself with its speed and minimal hardware requirements. It runs perfectly on newer machines as well as on older less powerful computers.

Q4OS just introduced a new installer that anyone can use to install it alongside Windows without modifying their existing Windows operating system or repartitioning their computer's hard drive.

Simply download the tiny Q4OS Windows installer from this address: (https://q4os.org/dnt8.html), and follow the simple included instructions. You'll install it just like you would any other Windows application. There is an option on the download page to chip in a buck or so to support the development of Q4OS if you feel so inclined, but contributing isn't required so don't let that slow you down.

The installer configures your computer to run Q4OS and Windows in dual boot mode, requiring no changes whatsoever to your Windows operating system. Once the setup is done you can switch back and forth between whichever version of Windows you're running, 10, 8.1 or 7, and Q4OS each time you restart your computer. The Q4OS Windows installer can even use Secure Boot if that feature is available on your PC.

You can remove Q4OS any time you wish by simply running the integrated uninstaller. The uninstaller completely eliminates the Q4OS installation and your computer goes back to exactly how it was before installation.

This new installer lets Windows users easily try Q4OS on their own machines, experiencing first hand what it's like using a fast, lightweight, user friendly operating system with a huge variety of applications available for installation from its online repositories.

Installed in this manner Q4OS isn't a replacement for Windows, but a complement to any existing Windows installation. I'd give it a try and tell everyone what I think if I had a machine running Windows, but I don't. However I can say, having run Q4OS in a virtual machine on my own computer, that it's a great Debian based desktop OS, well worth experiencing first hand. So let's hear what some of our Windows users think after giving Q4OS for Windows a go!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140389 01/27/18 05:59 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Come on guys! Some of you still have an old Windows box or laptop stowed away gathering dust on a closet shelf somewhere, a machine that served you well back in the day but long ago lost it's ability to keep up with the demands new versions of Windows put on it.

So why not drag it out, fire it up again and give it a new lease on life by downloading and installing the latest Debian-based Q4OS in place of that tired old Windows XP or Vista OS currently languishing unused.

Q4OS v2.4 'Scorpion', developed by a team of software designers in Germany, provides users like us a lightweight OS that'll run on almost any hardware you have. Ageing computers from the early days of Windows XP and Vista to the most modern PC hardware you have will run Q4OS without a problem!

Q4OS v2.4 'Scorpion', released in early October this past year, can revitalize an older computer giving it the ability to do things people never imagined these older machines ever would again.

'Scorpion' is a long-term support (LTS) Linux desktop release that provides its user with a minimum of five years extended support including security patches and system software updates.

Based on Debian Stretch 9.2, Q4OS uses the Trinity 14.0.5 desktop environment (TDE) by default and is available for 64-bit and 32-bit/i686 PAE computers, as well as i386 systems without the PAE extension. In addition Q4OS's development team recently released Q4OS Scorpion for 64-bit and 32-bit ARM architectures as well.

Q4OS comes complete with exclusive utilities and features, in particular its 'Desktop profiler' used to profile your computer into specialized sets of working tools, a 'Setup utility' for the smooth installation of third-party applications, a custom 'Welcome Screen' with integrated short-cuts making system configuration easy even for new users, plus a number of alternate desktop environment options -- plus a lot more.

Q4OS is available in both 'Live' and 'Install' editions. Having run Q4OS myself I highly recommend this polished distro as a great way to bring old hardware back to life and introduce new users to Linux on the desktop!

So, one of these cold winter afternoons drag that old Windows machine out of the closet, dust it off and prepare to be amazed once you've replaced its tired old Windows OS with Q4OS Scorpion!..

Enjoy!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140409 01/28/18 09:32 PM
Q
Qwazert Offline
Member L3
Member L3
Q
Am running it in VMBox as a Guest OS...but being in a Virtual machine already sets up several limitations, not the least of which is RAM and HD space.
I could try it on my old laptop, I suppose...but the laptop is for when we travel and I need to be able to run EasyGPS, which isn't available in a Linux version.

...I guess I could always run VMBox with Windows as a guest...

http://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/
2009 XT250, 2010 DR650
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Qwazert] #140414 01/28/18 11:21 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Qwazert
Am running it in VMBox as a Guest OS.....I could try it on my old laptop, I suppose...but the laptop is for when we travel and I need to be able to run EasyGPS, which isn't available in a Linux version.

...I guess I could always run VMBox with Windows as a guest...

If EasyGPS is a must have app, then running it in a VirtualBox instance of Windows seems your best bet. Otherwise GPSBable could be a credible option. It runs natively on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8.1, and on Mac OS/X and Linux. GPSBable "converts waypoints, tracks, and routes between popular GPS receivers such as Garmin or Magellan and mapping programs like Google Earth or Basecamp. Literally hundreds of GPS receivers and programs are supported. It also has powerful manipulation tools for such data. such as filtering duplicates points or simplifying tracks. It has been downloaded and used tens of millions of times..."

Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140422 01/29/18 04:06 AM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Virtual Box can be configured to allow predetermined amounts of RAM and HD space. VB is an excellent piece of software and should easily handle any Windows programs. It's complex, however, to get it setup. I have 256 Megs of RAM and 15 Gigs on the HD. Haven't had any issues running some of the old Windows programs. Garmin's MapSource being one I like.

I too have an old Window XP system. It's a Rain Recording PC which years ago wasn't cheap. It's loaded with a lot of media related stuff. Like Sony Vegas Pro and ProShow Producer. I haven't booted that machine up in years, however.

I also keep image backups of the Windows O/S loads from decommissioned Dell PCs. Which could be restored if I need a specific machine back again. So far the Linux PCs have been fine. And I don't hate Windows or Microsoft. They are options for many not comfortable with Linux. Just know the shortcomings of both before you decide which O/S is best. If you need both on the same PC, VB is a viable option.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Qwazert] #140433 01/29/18 06:30 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

...being in a Virtual machine already sets up several limitations, not the least of which is RAM and HD space..

How much HD space you can allocate to your VM depends on how much unused physical HD space is available. RAM allocated to your VM is much the same, entirely dependent on how much physical RAM your machine has available. If you have limited HD space and physical RAM, then allocate what you can spare knowing that when your VM is running resources available to your computer will be limited by like amount..

Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140438 01/29/18 07:40 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The HD allocation in VB is a rubber tank. It grows as it fills. Obviously, RAM and HD space need to be available on the host machine. I quoted mine as an example of what runs many applications. Not over the top either.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140445 01/29/18 11:37 PM
Q
Qwazert Offline
Member L3
Member L3
Q
The BIGGEST problem, is that Linux does not recognize Garmin GPS's and Garmin doesn't write Linux software.
Until either one of those changes...I'll have to use Windows if I want to do ANYTHING involving my GPSMap60CsX

http://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/
2009 XT250, 2010 DR650
Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Qwazert] #140451 01/30/18 04:07 AM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

..The BIGGEST problem, is that Linux does not recognize Garmin GPS's and Garmin doesn't write Linux software..

That's true. However a Google search for solutions to running Garmin Map Source software in Linux comes back with page after page of suggestions, many reportedly working well. An idea I liked was to install Map Source in WINE running in Linux. See what you think after looking over the linked article..

Re: Q4OS: An Ideal Compliment to your Windows OS.. [Re: Az4x4] #140453 01/30/18 04:25 AM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
WINE doesn't provide full support for the USB port. As you mention, Garmin doesn't support Linux.

I ran into this problem too when I decommissioned my Windows machine. Lost my Garmin software and GPS. Solved the problem nicely with Virtual Box. Virtual Box Virtual Machine provides full support for the USB ports and will work fine. It replicates Windows era hardware perfectly. I've loaded Garmin's MapSource under Windows XP (running as guest) and it works fine. GPS plugged into the USB port is also fine. In the connectivity forum I wrote an extensive set of instructions on installing VBVM. You'll also need the Guest Additions. My Linux O/S was Mint 17.3 then now 18.x Both work fine.

VBVM is a complex program given it solves a complex problem. Some wrinkles on the installation too. Covered in my write-up. Good luck.

Evolve & Simplify
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics