Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138642 - 10/04/17 09:21 PM Re: WTF? Nearly 60 dead, hundreds wounded.. [Re: Az4x4]
Selden Offline
Member L2

Loc: GA
This fall, I have been enrolled in a seminar that is built around Robert Sapolsky's recent book, Behave : Human Beings at Their Best and Worst

Las Vegas shooting is depressing news. Here is more depressing news from Nevada: a piece by Rachel Aviv in The New Yorker : " How the Elderly Lose Their Rights."

Why, as a species, do we have to be so mean to each other?

#138645 - 10/04/17 11:18 PM Re: WTF? Nearly 60 dead, hundreds wounded.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Selden - I've been trying to figure that out for years. No answers yet with little hope for any forth coming. I try to encourage people to share their differences respectfully less the hate and violence. But it's my way or the highway for some with no compromises or that the other side is actually bringing something to the table.

What have you learned from the book? Just curious.

#138648 - 10/05/17 12:49 AM Re: WTF? Nearly 60 dead, hundreds wounded.. [Re: Selden]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Originally Posted By: Selden
.....Why, as a species, do we have to be so mean to each other?..

Good question. The short answer, it seems, is that people, you, me and everyone else, are hurt. The long answer, we're really hurt.

Sometime, something, somebody -- parents, lovers, blind luck, did us dirty. We feel crushed and we're convinced the pain's not going away, or that it will happen again -- which describes just about everyone on Earth.

We've all been hurt, we're all wounded, but not all of us translate this into being mean to others. Some realize that their suffering can be the spark that powers a positive forward looking response rather than a victim's whimpering whine

When we tolerate meanness in ourselves or in others, not speaking up, not becoming constructively involved, we're in the service wrongdoing. All us have in ourselves the capacity and the obligation to do better.

During the years I worked as a police officer for the City of Tempe I witnessed and took part in a vast range of human interactions, from the most selfless of human kindnesses to the most brutal responses to some sense of being wronged that anyone can imagine.

Yet almost without fail, once the battle was over and the dust had settled, perpetrators and victims alike, having had time to reflect on what took place, experienced a sense of remorse for the part they'd played in the drama.

But why do these things play out to begin with? I think, having seen so much of it first hand, that it's because our species is more emotionally than rationally driven. We hurt, we react. We feel slighted, we respond -- often in kind plus a little more.

The fight or flight response in humans is immediate. People learn early on what works best for them. Bullies grow up learning one way, those more thoughtful and considerate learn a better way.

The disposition to be "mean" is part of being human, a survival mechanism hard coded in our genes. How we respond to the urge to take out the hurt we feel on those around us either elevates us above the crowd, or makes us partakers in the most base expressions of the primitive nature our ancestral DNA gifted us with.

We see this played out all around us these days, from fanatical religiously inspired massacres to the insanity of the mass murders we experienced in Las Vegas.

The question would seem to be; how do I personally respond? Am I part of the problem, or can I learn to be an active participant in the solution?

Life is good! Enjoy it constructively..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11480
alexd 5915
Muniac 5088
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 3975
peejman 2466
kris 2363
Doc250 1643
JerryH 1508