Selden Offline
Member L2

Loc: GA
I signed up this morning, and would love company for:

Quote:
MSF CAMPUS @ ALPHARETTA
Course Type: Introduction To Dual Sport Riding
Start Date: 10/24/17
Start Time: (experience needed-no first time riders)
7:45am-3:30pm All Safety Gear Provided
Open Seats: 3
Fee Out of State Fee
$125.00 $125.00

Course Description: info:

Adult Introduction To Dual Sport Riding

Call if you have questions! 770-442-2043

This IS NOT a course for First Time Riders!! Need to be proficient handling larger offroad bikes
Bring your own Dual Sport OR ride one of our CRF250L
Trails are somewhat tight...first time dual sporters may want to use our bikes

NOTE: Ride at own Risk. MSF/Honda will not be responsible for any damage to your machine if you so choose to use it.

5 Days notice needed for any cancellations
7:45-3:30pm
ALL Gear & Bikes Provided
Must be comfortable with the basic fundamentals of riding
Must have some level of offroad riding experience
HIGHLY recommended to take the Dirtbike School First!!!

SPECIAL NOTES:
Having some street experience does not always transfer to riding in the dirt or taking this trail riding course. We highly recommend Street RIders need to take the Basic DBS FIRST before this course.

If it has been 6 or more months since you have taken the Basic Course AND you have not ridden at all since taking your Basic Dirtbike we HIGHLY recommend taking the Basic DBS before registering for this course.

The Introduction to Trail Riding is the next level DirtBike School course designed to familiarize riders with riding off-road on actual trails. The ITR course builds on the knowledge developed in the Basic course and teaches more advanced riding skills.
Dirt Bike School Coaches will guide ITR students through lessons including:
Sand, Mud, Ledges, Whoops, Steep Hills, Rock beds & Hills, Stream crossings, Single track, and much more!!
All Safety Gear. Gas and Bikes included.

Bring Sack Lunches, lots of water, and long thick socks

I took the basic off road course ~15 years ago, and it was very useful apart from a few adolescent jerks doing rooster tails. This is an adults-only course, and I hope to improve my skills without distractions.

Edited by Selden (10/04/17 10:37 PM)

#138646 - 10/04/17 11:21 PM Re: MSF Dual Sport Course Alpharetta, GA October 24 [Re: Selden]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Great idea to get instruction. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#138890 - 10/22/17 12:56 PM Re: MSF Dual Sport Course Alpharetta, GA October 24 [Re: Selden]
Selden Offline
Member L2

Loc: GA
There are 4 slots, and as of yesterday only 1 (mine) was spoken for. I talked with the MSF folks last week, and they said if they don't get at least 2 people, they will cancel. At least I've been getting in plenty of practice prep.

Rather than riding down in the dark for a 7:45 start time, I was planning to ride down to Alpharetta Monday, stay overnight at a nearby motel, and be fresh for the start Tuesday morning. Howecer, the weather forecast has been all over the place for the past month, and currently calls for heavy rain tomorrow, with a low of 39 Tuesday morning, so cancellation is looking pretty good to me.

#138902 - 10/23/17 02:26 PM Re: MSF Dual Sport Course Alpharetta, GA October 24 [Re: Selden]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
I wish they'd offer that course a little closer to home. I'd have taken it years ago. Sometimes I wonder if they wonder why they have a hard time filling up dual sport courses in the middle of the urban jungle?

I'd really like to take this class sometime... http://www.cornerspin.com/main.html

#138903 - 10/23/17 03:17 PM Re: MSF Dual Sport Course Alpharetta, GA October 24 [Re: Selden]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

I think TN has the Trials Training Center? Not a MSC but pretty cool stuff. If I were there, I'd just go and watch. In the absence of a MSC, perhaps THIS would help. Good luck and be safe out there.

#138908 - 10/23/17 06:49 PM Re: MSF Dual Sport Course Alpharetta, GA October 24 [Re: Muniac]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
I think TN has the Trials Training Center? Not a MSC but pretty cool stuff. If I were there, I'd just go and watch. In the absence of a MSC, perhaps THIS would help. Good luck and be safe out there.

I've been wanting to go to TTD (Trials Training Days, usually held at the end of March) since I learned it existed several years ago. So far, circumstances have always conspired against me. Maybe next year...

And there's a somewhat well read copy of that book on my night stand. wink

These videos are pretty good too.
https://www.cycleworld.com/2011/12/08/du...-product-review

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg

#138909 - 10/23/17 07:03 PM Re: MSF Dual Sport Course Alpharetta, GA October 24 [Re: Selden]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

It's all cool stuff. All of my trials experience has been on a mountain bike. Not sure how those skills (limited in my case) would transfer over to a 168 Lb trials motorcycle.

A rocky wash in Arizona. Lots of stuff to play on.

When I was in Washington I rode with a trials group from a Seattle bike shop. Very humbling to see what the pros can do. Guys could take a bike from the ground and in one explosive move land (rear tire) on a 48" load dock. Then float back down again. They could gap some 12' too by spinning 180 degrees to take advantage of the bike's length. After one session with them, I just wanted to throw my bike away.

#138921 - 10/24/17 03:05 PM Re: MSF Dual Sport Course Alpharetta, GA October 24 [Re: Selden]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Everybody has to start somewhere. Bike trials is amazing to watch, they sure make it look easy. I've been wanting to get a decent mountain bike for quite a while, I need the exercise. Several of my coworkers are pretty avid cyclists, and a lot of trails have been built locally. I rode a road bike lots when I was younger but traffic now scares me.

#138923 - 10/24/17 04:05 PM Re: MSF Dual Sport Course Alpharetta, GA October 24 [Re: Selden]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

You wouldn't catch me anywhere near the public roads on a bicycle with idiots operating cars. Not worth the risks and why place your fate in the hands of someone engaged with a mobile device. If you're scared of that experience, I'd say your head is in the right place.

Mountain biking is an excellent sport and offers dirt bikers many related skills. Many of the professional motocross riders are also accomplished mountain bikers. As for mountain biking, we did quite a lot of it. It is good exercise but presents high crash potential if one isn't careful. My worst falls have been on MTBs.

As for trials, hands down, it's the toughest stuff I've ever learned. And it's a lonely sport too. As an amateur hobbyist I'm talking about just the basic moves not too far off the ground. The learning curve is exponential from there.

As for MTB, we had a group of about 10 riders with 4-5 in the core. We built a lot of custom trails to add to the good ones already in place. Those to include flow ramps and stunts. If you have trails, hook up with a friend and go ride them! Always fun.

Around here we do lots of hiking, scrambling and climbing. Just getting outdoors pretty much all year long. Activities changing with the seasons, moods and preferences. About 15k of vertical in a month usually. Most between 10-13k feet elevation. Burns lots of calories. Give or take. Back country skiing in the winter months is fun and new for us last season. Only hit the alpine scene once.

Eagle Valley near Olathe, CO.

Lizard Head Pass, CO.

Stony Mountain, CO. One slip and it's over.

Bear Creek Canyon exploration.

Lots to do outdoors. Keep busy, eat right and stay active.

#138928 - 10/24/17 07:03 PM Re: MSF Dual Sport Course Alpharetta, GA October 24 [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Originally Posted By: Muniac
..Keep busy, eat right and stay active..

Right on! Less than 2 years shy of 80, and I can testify to that as the real secret to good health and continued vitality..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11480
alexd 5915
Muniac 5088
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 3975
peejman 2466
kris 2363
Doc250 1643
JerryH 1508