Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Video Surveillance Tale #137869 08/12/17 04:43 PM
Muniac Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
I was in the DIY car wash associated with our local supermarket about a month ago. Go over to the CC reader to get the spray started and noticed a woman's wallet laying on top. Picked it up, opened the CC area and saw a driver's license in there. It was a legitimate wallet and not a bomb. Figured the person would return while I was washing the car. So I put the wallet inside my car to avoid it from getting soaked with water and soap. Takes me about 15 minutes to spray, wash, soap and dry.

Some years ago we were eating in a WV diner and I left my wallet on the table. Got back on the interstate. One of those with 45 miles between exits. About 5 minutes into the ride, I said OH SH*T! (It's really a horrible feeling for anyone that's done this.) Realizing my wallet was left back in the diner. Cut across the median and floored it back to the diner. Ran in and went to the cashier asking about my wallet. Turns out the waitress, picked it up and gave it to the cashier. Who returned it to me. Everything was in there untouched. Honest folks in there. I took a $20 bill out and gave it to the waitress saying a good deed goes rewarded. Thanked her and said, "Have a nice dinner on me."

Fast forward the tape. The women didn't return while I was there. Remembering my forgotten wallet, I tried the door to the car wash office which was locked. I know the fellow there. Drove over and got some fuel then went into the supermarket to the customer care counter. Asking, I found a wallet in the car wash and could I return it here? She said yes, took the wallet and looked inside. To both our surprise, she said I know this women well as she and her husband are regular customers. This happens in small towns. She promised to contact the woman and return the wallet. So the loop got closed, I returned the good deed done for me and walked out forgetting about the whole debacle.

Next day the mailman drives up to our place to deliver a parcel. And a business card he finds laying in the crushed stones. It's a card from the local police saying to give them a call. Something we gather was left in the front door which blew away. Had high winds that day. So hold that thought.

The woman did return after I left. Sees that her wallet was gone and immediately reports it to the police as stolen property. I gather she didn't try the customer care counter first. Unknown to me the whole car wash activity was caught on high resolution video. So I call the cops and they go through the whole litany of your car was seen in the car wash, you exited the vehicle, observed a wallet, put said wallet in car........ blah, blah, blah. So I explained that I had taken the wallet to the customer care counter and returned it there. The LEO did thank me for being honest. He asked if he might share my contact information with the woman which I said I prefer to just drop out of the loop at this point. Funny, while I was on the phone, the local sheriff showed up at my shop door too. I found the wallet (which like me some idiot left behind) and returned it. End of story. Told that to the sheriff too. He was also a nice guy.

I'm guessing the customer care counter also has video surveillance which the cops looked at to verify my story. Haven't heard anything since so I guess it's case closed. And the woman got her wallet back. No news being good news.

Here's my take away. Nothing is simple these days with respect to criminals and technology. If I knew I was on video I wouldn't have touched the wallet. Instead I would have called the police directly. Or maybe just walked out figuring it isn't my problem. Being on video changes the dynamic and creates a degree of unrest. At least for me. That said, the customer care counter video verified (or could have verified) my story (I guess). Glad that footage was taken. Also, in today's times, get a signed receipt for a returned wallet. Just in case you're dealing with a scam artist. One never knows these days who's watching us. Good or bad?? And those 60s movies showing moving cameras. And we all thought that was just science fiction.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Video Surveillance Tale [Re: Muniac] #137876 08/12/17 07:24 PM
J
Jerry XT Offline
Member L1
Member L1
J
wow! hate to think you could have gone down for being honest!
thats why I don't like the death penalty, to many falsely accused folks, even though I believe in the death penalty......hope this doesn't start a [censored] storm!

JJ 2007 XT225
Re: Video Surveillance Tale [Re: Muniac] #137879 08/12/17 09:29 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
..One never knows these days who's watching us. Good or bad?? And those 60s movies showing moving cameras. And we all thought that was just science fiction..

Good or bad depends on those running the system. It worked in your favor, while another guy picking a wallet up without being aware he was being video taped might not be so fortunate depending on how he handles the situation. Basically it comes down to there's generally someone watching what we do, whether we're aware of it or not - so do the right thing..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Video Surveillance Tale [Re: Muniac] #137890 08/13/17 06:24 PM
Muniac Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
As for the little guy, blogs and networking allow us to share our experiences. Hopefully with some educational value. Helps us move around in a complex world with perhaps a little more agility.

I do try to do the right things and obey and laws of the land. That said, I don't trust the police. Too many bad experiences and insight coming from my police friends.

What sucks is someone who's honest and does do the right thing(s), can become a SUCKER with just one wrong event. The wallet adventure could have gone bad in many ways. It didn't this time.

Here's another story. Jeannie and I were up in the mountains and came across two hunters in a pickup truck that was dead. In the middle of nowhere at night. They looked a bit upset. I promised them I'd make a rescue call once back in town (about 45 minutes). Which I did.

1 year later, I happened to call the young fellow that took his tow truck up there to assist these guys. He said, the guys got their truck running and he passed them on the way up. He also said they rolled down the window and said, "I'm not paying you any money!" Real assholes to say the least. I used PayPal to send over $20 for a nice dinner in town to help make it right. I felt pretty badly about putting the rescue guy in that situation. He was very appreciative of my gift. Another example, of the road to hell being paved with the best of intentions. The hunters were an out of state visitors too. No respect!

The FJ club is another crew in the hundreds of vehicles that assault the mountains annually. They donate heavily to the local police too. New policy is I don't get involved. Unless circumstances are clearly legitimate and/or life threatening. Our friends here have formed a private safety/rescue network. Covers us for problems.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Video Surveillance Tale [Re: Muniac] #137900 08/14/17 12:31 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
No good deed goes unpunished. smile Glad it worked out in the end.

It's really terrible/sad/frustrating/disheartening that our society has eroded to the point where we feel like we really can't trust strangers, even if they're wearing a uniform.

While the idea of always acting as if you're being watched isn't necessarily a bad thing, not knowing what someone might be doing with the video always gives me some pause.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Video Surveillance Tale [Re: Muniac] #137902 08/14/17 03:35 PM
Muniac Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
peejman - Good points. Our community here is pretty much old school and honest. And a hand shake still means something. That said, we have our issues with crime and theft. Drugs too. Can't seem to escape that anywhere now a days.

I won't even stop for road side assistance anymore. Everyone has a cell phone so they can make the call. Up in the mountains, I'll stop to converse and check things out that don't look typical. What ensues after that depends......

Two seasons ago we were coming down Cork Screw Pass (on the XTs) owing to a bad storm front heading that way. There was a somewhat distraught looking young girl pushing her MTB up the road. I stopped and asked if everything was OK and to warn her about the ensuing storm. Can't see the clouds on the back side. She got pissed off and wanted to know who the hell I was inferring she couldn't handle things. I did a double take and explained people usually are helpful and friendly up in the mountains. And my stopping to talk had nothing to do with undermining credibility. She didn't get it so I rode off, wondering. Life gets tough with that kind of attitude.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Video Surveillance Tale [Re: Muniac] #137909 08/14/17 06:11 PM
alexd Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My experience is to always stop and turn my engine off (XT225) when I encounter horseback riders on trails.

They ALWAYS smile and wave thank you as they ride their horses past me.

I will always continue to do that...horses can be spooked.

Alexd

(one) 2006 XT225, (two) 2005 XT225, 2006 FZ1
Re: Video Surveillance Tale [Re: Muniac] #137917 08/14/17 08:45 PM
Muniac Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
We encountered a lot of horse back groups when riding in Arizona. Sometimes 10 to a group. We too will always stop, pull over and kill the engine. If a horse does a wheelie coming onto a bike and dumps a rider, then what? Some horse don't like bikes at all. We had a few get spooked even when pulled over and engine off. Mountain bikes can cause the same unrest with horses.

That group of 10 - Everyone smiled, waved and said thanks. If the horse back rides think bikers are assholes, we don't contribute to promoting that impression. In general, horse back riders would be happy with having the trails to themselves. Not really fair on government taxpayer supported land. Oh the joys of multi use trails.

When was the last time you saw this sign?

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Video Surveillance Tale [Re: Muniac] #137924 08/15/17 09:28 AM
alexd Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I've never seen that particular sign's "open and closed" with ATV being the latter.

I've encountered ATV riders who have stopped me (on a Yamaha IT400) asking me if the trail I was coming from was wide enough for them. Sadly for them it wasn't...not possible, no matter how good a driver they might be.

They were (on two occasions) coming up from Wager Gulch, trying to get to Stony Pass through Lost Trail Creek Trail and also Colorado Trail.

Alexd

(one) 2006 XT225, (two) 2005 XT225, 2006 FZ1
Re: Video Surveillance Tale [Re: Muniac] #137927 08/15/17 01:10 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Horses... Generally I like horses, they're magnificent creatures. They're fun to ride, immensely powerful for doing chores, and it's great to watch them run. But some people who ride them are completely clueless.

If you're going to ride your horse on a trail where motorized traffic is common, wouldn't you think it would be a good idea to get the horse used to motorized traffic before you take it there?

I've seen several horses freak out over the bike and one that got itself all in a twist because I was wearing a backpack carrying my son. So you decided it was good idea to ride a horse that's afraid of backpacks down a hiking trail in the national park? Really? The rider also seemed to think it was a good idea for me to bushwack through the briars and poison ivy across a very steep side slope with a child on my back so his horse wouldn't get spooled up. Um, no.

Then there's the trail damage. Somehow horse people around here seem to have the government convinced they've got this God given right to ride their horses on the trails in the mountains. OHV parks get fined or closed because of erosion and run-off problems, but it ok for horse people to destroy muddy trails and turn stream crossings into mucky disasters with no responsibility for maintenance?

But I suppose the good horse people probably have the same thoughts about motorcyclists. The only ones they remember are the morons roosting up the trails or riding wheelies through traffic.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics