Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137304 - 07/05/17 03:20 PM Re: The Goodwin fire burns in the Bradshaw mountains.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Yes I did. Thanks for the respectful correction. I'd guess the ambiance surrounding the fighting of large scale fires is tense, hysterical and spontaneous (at times). Maybe cooler heads would employ a more effective mitigation strategy. A shotgun can fix a lot of problems and head others off before they reach critical mass.

I agree with your point.

We see the "moron" effect everywhere. Here on our 4WD roads morons operate jeeps and side by sides. Scary! 99% of who/what we encounter are polite and safe drivers. Then there are the few that wreck the scene for others.

Over the years it seems the public (at large) is less courteous than years past. Seemingly more focused on their own agenda in their own little vacuum. F*CK everyone else. Pisses me off sometimes. Can't share spaces effectively this way. Not rocket science either.

#137307 - 07/05/17 08:11 PM Re: The Goodwin fire burns in the Bradshaw mountains.. [Re: Muniac]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Originally Posted By: Muniac
Over the years it seems the public (at large) is less courteous than years past. Seemingly more focused on their own agenda in their own little vacuum. F*CK everyone else. Pisses me off sometimes. Can't share spaces effectively this way. Not rocket science either.

It's all about me now, didn't you read that on my twit/bookface/instamoron post?

smile

#137315 - 07/06/17 07:29 PM Re: The Goodwin fire burns in the Bradshaw mountains.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Too funny! I have a fakebook account but can't seem to make friends with the protocol. Perhaps I'm over that hill. I'll take a phone over any of this social media.

People do have 2 ears and 1 mouth. A ratio that's worth paying attention to I'd think.

#137320 - 07/07/17 12:21 PM Re: The Goodwin fire burns in the Bradshaw mountains.. [Re: Muniac]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

People do have 2 ears and 1 mouth. A ratio that's worth paying attention to I'd think.

If you had any idea how often I tell my kids that very thing...

#137323 - 07/07/17 03:16 PM Re: The Goodwin fire burns in the Bradshaw mountains.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

You're a good Father giving timeless advice. As for the next generation, it's a whole other world. Someone needs to impart knowledge instead of the usual main stream pop culture outlets. America is becoming a nation of part time workers too. So it isn't about lazy but just calling it selective productivity. Somehow that makes it all OK. NOT! I like Mike Rowe's commentary about jobs/skills. Hits the nail on the head IMHO.

#137325 - 07/07/17 03:40 PM Re: The Goodwin fire burns in the Bradshaw mountains.. [Re: Muniac]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

You're a good Father giving timeless advice. As for the next generation, it's a whole other world. Someone needs to impart knowledge instead of the usual main stream pop culture outlets. America is becoming a nation of part time workers too. So it isn't about lazy but just calling it selective productivity. Somehow that makes it all OK. NOT! I like Mike Rowe's commentary about jobs/skills. Hits the nail on the head IMHO.

Work ethic is both intrinsic and learned. I do what I can to teach, but the difference in self motivation between my boys is considerable. Amazing that siblings can be so different.

Mike Rowe is awesome. My kids love watching Dirty Jobs.

#137327 - 07/07/17 07:00 PM Re: The Goodwin fire burns in the Bradshaw mountains.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

When I was in high school we had print shop, metal shop, auto mechanics and wood shop. Not everyone was headed for college. I don't think these disciplines exist in high school now. Somehow, over the years, we've gotten away from the hands on trades. Casting them as "back seat" professions. People think of diversity in terms of skin color. I think the true diversity is embracing a varied skill set. In other words, creating a society where everyone has a change to advance in their own areas of strength. I'd make an exception in those pursuing a degree in African urban stress management.

I had a couple of 30 somethings in my shop a few weeks ago. The one boy walked over to my lathe and asked, "What is that?" Not a clue. Nice kids. Now give one of them a complex smart phone (I'm dumb there) and they are experts.

Modern Marvels is also a good program and helps champion manufacturing and educate along those lines too. As for American, if we are to remain strong and continue to innovate we'll need everyone from the guy who sweeps the floors to the rocket scientist. And a little respect for each function as they all are important to getting a job done.

#137333 - 07/08/17 07:19 PM Re: The Goodwin fire burns in the Bradshaw mountains.. [Re: Az4x4]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Trade school is definitely something that seems to be missing. Some high schools may have one version (ag, wood shop, etc) but certainly not all schools and not all disciplines. The "everyone must go to college" ideas that began in the 90's have caused some issues with our work force for sure. I wish more of my job involved working with my hands at something other than a keyboard.

Lathe.... I had a senior engineering student intern ask me the same question when I was showing him around our shop. A senior mechanical engineering student about to graduate from the big university, and he didn't know what a lathe was. Really?!? frown

Modern Marvels, How Its Made, Outrageous Acts of Science, Mythbusters, Forged In Fire, Street Science, .... all good stuff. I guess I'm raising nerds.

#137340 - 07/09/17 03:40 PM Re: The Goodwin fire burns in the Bradshaw mountains.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Doesn't matter about categorical names. Humor always good. We need good young folks to come into the fold. It all starts with good parents and a good home. Today that seems to be out the window too. Imagine an infant already behind the 8 ball. New norms going on out there most of which I don't understand or connect with.

For those that know which side of the bread the butter is on, keep up the good work.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
1 registered (tuna), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11417
alexd 5915
Muniac 5012
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 3916
kris 2363
peejman 2362
Doc250 1643
JerryH 1508