Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Carb problem(s) fixed, diaphragm leak, etc, 80MPH! #137006 06/10/17 09:57 PM
G
gshell Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Just want to share my experiences with the XT225 Mikuni BST34 CV carb, in hopes of saving someone else the ridiculous amount of time I spent. Maybe this here thread could be a place to mention solutions, rather than problems.

My carb was leaking vacuum from the bottom of the diaphragm, where it’s clamped to the slide with a round white plastic part a bit bigger than a quarter. The clamp is held in place by two little round plastic tabs which are peened where they protrude down into the top of slide.

Now, after fixing, the bike will do 80+MPH (indicated, not actual) on level ground when tucked, and will accelerate up a hill in 6th gear from about 30MPH without bogging. This is with stock pipe and intake, stock gearing, 130 main jet (which is stock for a 1999), one .030” shim on the needle, Shinko 2.75/21 244 front tire, 170lb 6’0” rider, soft saddlebags, and good compression.

It seems like a questionable carb design by Mikuni; if your bike won’t do better than 75MPH indicated, it’s possible it has the same problem.

DIAGNOSIS:

Remove the airbox cover, air filter, and the screen if you have to (easy to get out, harder to get back in); watch the slide as you blip the throttle; if the slide doesn't go up (a fair bit) quickly and freely with even a bit of throttle, and maybe without oscillating up and down, you probably have a vacuum leak in the carb. If you have to rev the piss out of it to get the slide to go all the way up, you definitely have a problem.

Rotate the carb after removing the gas tank; remove the slide. If the diaphragm can be rotated under the clamp, it’s not clamped well.

Fold the diaphragm down around the slide, turn upside down, see if it will hold water--if it leaks water, it will leak vacuum. You need that vacuum to raise the slide, which pulls the jet needle out of the needle jet and allows more fuel to flow, up to the max allowed by the main jet.

SYMPTOMS:

Idles fine, OK power down low and particularly using the “choke,” but boneless using full throttle and/or high RPM.

Amazingly, it will still run kind of OK without the slide going up at all. But no fun, and weirdly, poor gas milage.

Mine also sounded strange. When running right, it kind of snarls, but when running badly, the snarl had a sharper, nastier sound.

REPAIR:

So, you have a vacuum leak in the carb. And it's from the diaphragm, and not:

* The black plastic coasting enriched cover, the vertical pipe of which seems to have nothing to do with the coasting enricher itself, instead being a second source of vacuum signal going from the intake tract behind the slide to the top of the carb (the other/primary source of vacuum being the hole in the bottom of the slide next to the hole for the needle), and depending on two small o-rings and one larger one.

* The carb cover, which is also black and plastic, and needs to be flat (perhaps fixable--not sold by Yamaha) to clamp the rather thin diaphragm lip tightly; and which also has to clamp down hard on the little o-ring to the coasting enricher mentioned above in order to fully clamp down on the diaphragm.

* The choke can also leak--my button-style choke knob needs to be pressed in with authority to not leak, but this seems to create a minor intake-style leak which affects idle, but not normal running.

So...order up a new slide assembly with diaphragm and clamp attached, $132 total from Partzilla. It’s a shame to replace all that, but it works, and is well worth it for more power.

Or, you may well be able to use heat to re-peen the little round tabs that clamp the diaphragm to the slide. And it might hold.

Or, you can do what I did (initially--I subsequently put in the new slide I had already ordered), and fix it by removing the clamp, snipping off the tabs, carefully drilling pilot holes, and using ½” #4 screws into the plastic, with o-ring to seal the screw heads, and the tips of the screws snipped off for clearance; there’s just barely enough room where the slide seats to allow this to maybe not affect how the slide seats when it's down. Another possibility here would be to use short machine screws with hex nuts.

Anyway, this DIY fix may seem bonkers, but it worked shockingly well. Maybe better than a new slide, initially--I was stunned at what my stock 225 could do. Became a little hooligan, breathing fire, and hinting at little accidental wheelies when hastily taking up 1st gear from a stop. (In fact, since I now have an extra slide, I might just try drilling out the vacuum hole on the bottom of the slide a tad.) It doesn’t seem so fast after a while, but I guess it's just perception, since it'll still do 80MPH. wink

SUMMARY:

If your XT225 won't do 75 or 80MPH indicated on level ground when tucked in, you may have a leak preventing the CV carb from doing what it's supposed to do.

1999 XT225, 130/40, stock IN/EX (except for Uni, AlexD removable airbox plug mod), 3 turns out, .030" shim, Shinko 244s, 80MPH.
Re: Carb problem(s) fixed, diaphragm leak, etc, 80MPH! [Re: gshell] #137009 06/10/17 11:42 PM
alexd Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Great write-up!

But in your summary, even with perfect jetting, bikes at Sea Level and bikes at 6000+ feet will perform differently. Also, while the stock speedometer is generally "optimistic," not all are the same.

Alexd

(one) 2006 XT225, (two) 2005 XT225, 2006 FZ1
Re: Carb problem(s) fixed, diaphragm leak, etc, 80MPH! [Re: gshell] #137010 06/11/17 01:17 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good troubleshooting and great documentation of the fix!

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Carb problem(s) fixed, diaphragm leak, etc, 80MPH! [Re: gshell] #137015 06/11/17 03:56 PM
G
gshell Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thx guys...I will edit my post to mention that I'm at sea level, and that my speedometer/front tire combo gives a speedometer error of about 10% optimist...once I can figure out how to edit a post... wink

Love this little bike. When it's running well. And when I'm in a good mood. ;(

- Greg

1999 XT225, 130/40, stock IN/EX (except for Uni, AlexD removable airbox plug mod), 3 turns out, .030" shim, Shinko 244s, 80MPH.
Re: Carb problem(s) fixed, diaphragm leak, etc, 80MPH! [Re: gshell] #137016 06/11/17 04:06 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thanks for the write up. Nice to see helpful information being posting.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Carb problem(s) fixed, diaphragm leak, etc, 80MPH! [Re: gshell] #139890 12/27/17 02:35 PM
J
justin_lewis Offline
Member L1
Member L1
J
Hi Guys!

I have a follow-up on this. I´ve been running through the motions of rebuilding my top end and getting my bike started after a long journey from Colorado to Peru. Swapping fork seals today and then hopefully on to Bolivia!!

I finally got it started today after about a week of troubleshooting. Turned out it was the cable from the ignition coil to the sparkplug boot and dirty connectors on the CDI.

While I had things open I realized I had a small rip in the diaphragm rubber boot. I glued it and put it back together and got the bike running, but afterwards I did find a new rubber boot made for the XT 225 from Brasil and new!

However, it is just the rubber part of the assembly. From reading this above though it seems that it is difficult to just replace that...vs the whole assembly. Thoughts?

That is what I can currently find here in Peru/Bolivia.

Justin

2006 Yamaha XT 225 - first bike
Re: Carb problem(s) fixed, diaphragm leak, etc, 80MPH! [Re: gshell] #145577 06/19/19 11:00 PM
R
Rocky Baker Offline
R
I have recurring issue with my 1992 xt225. For a while now, I thought I had a leak somewhere in the airbox because every time I cleaned the carb, the bike would run great for a while, around 40-80km, then it would start to lose power. If I had to ride it a longer distance to get home, say 100+ km, it gets so bad it doesn't even idle anymore.

After completely sealing the airbox, I am still having this issue. Every time I take it apart, I clean the carb and it works great again for a while. Is it possible that I have the same problem you had? Would cleaning the carb cause it to run really well for a while before the symptoms return?

I'm just hoping for a quick answer before I open it up again for the 100th time this season...

Keep it simple

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Mountain_Sundae), 29 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,620
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,072
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,160
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,113
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics