GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25284 - 09/04/07 01:16 PM Re: Reccomend me some gear ... [Re: steveyb]
BikinBud Offline

Loc: Michigan
I'm new to all this, but the best piece of gear I have including the xt is the motorcross boots I wear all the time I ride, street or trail. They seem awkward at first, they are very comfortable on the bike and you look like Klingon in them.

I wear a Motorsport nylon riding suite with their foam armour. I wear that all the time. I have worn it in 90 degree weather and 70% humidity. It is really only hot when you are sitting still. I have fallen on gravel with it. The bike broke a clutch lever, I only hurt my pride.

I use mechanics gloves, which have great feel, but I suspect the degree of protection could be better. I am still looking.

I have Simpson MX helmet with face shield (don't need the goggles). Comfortable helmet, well made, but whistles over 40. I wear ear plugs. There is an Italian helmet that is EC approved that is similar that I would try if I was buying another. Shoe and Arai make MX helmets with face shields,too. The Italian is supposedly quieter, quiet is good.

I'm a white water kayaker. In that activity you buy your safety gear first then with the cash left over you buy a boat. I think that is a good idea in motorbike riding.

#25292 - 09/04/07 06:07 PM Re: Reccomend me some gear ... [Re: steveyb]
NickR Offline
Member L3

Loc: West Yorkshire, UK
 Originally Posted By: steveyb
Nick, ask in a shop which are the Enduro boots or trials bike boots,they look the same (to me) as MX boots but have decent tread on the sole and are more flexible for walking in.But still give good protection. Try some on and find your size and look for a cheaper pair on the internet.

Are Trials and Enduro boots the same ?

My Website | Money Traffic Blog

#25293 - 09/04/07 06:09 PM Re: Reccomend me some gear ... [Re: BikinBud]
NickR Offline
Member L3

Originally Posted By: BikinBud
I'm new to all this, but the best piece of gear I have including the xt is the motorcross boots I wear all the time I ride, street or trail. They seem awkward at first, they are very comfortable on the bike and you look like Klingon in them.

I wear a Motorsport nylon riding suite with their foam armour. I wear that all the time. I have worn it in 90 degree weather and 70% humidity. It is really only hot when you are sitting still. I have fallen on gravel with it. The bike broke a clutch lever, I only hurt my pride.

I use mechanics gloves, which have great feel, but I suspect the degree of protection could be better. I am still looking.

I have Simpson MX helmet with face shield (don't need the goggles). Comfortable helmet, well made, but whistles over 40. I wear ear plugs. There is an Italian helmet that is EC approved that is similar that I would try if I was buying another. Shoe and Arai make MX helmets with face shields,too. The Italian is supposedly quieter, quiet is good.

I'm a white water kayaker. In that activity you buy your safety gear first then with the cash left over you buy a boat. I think that is a good idea in motorbike riding.

Cheers for that info.

I find the nylon gear I have for road is too warm for off road work, so will get something thinner next year (summers over in UK )

#25296 - 09/04/07 08:02 PM Re: Reccomend me some gear ... [Re: NickR]
kmccarthy Offline
Member L2

Loc: Miami, FL
 Originally Posted By: NickR
Cheers for the info guys.

What about boots, should I go for MX style ones - are there any that are suitable for road use ?

I have both the Thor 50/50 boots and the Sidi Discovery boots and I love them both. The Thor boots are only ankle high but are very well made, comfortable, easy to walk in, water resistant and inconspicuous. I wear them around town with jeans or when I'm doing very light off roading. At $100, I consider them a very good value.
I recently purchased a pair of Sidi Discovery's for more serious off-roading and shin protection. These are expensive ($260), high end leather boots, but I'm very happy with them. They are not as high and stiff as MX boots but I think they are adequate for the type of riding I do. They are also very comfortable, water proof and fairly inconspicuous. Check out this post:

Sidi Discovery Boots

#25301 - 09/04/07 09:18 PM Re: Reccomend me some gear ... [Re: kmccarthy]
NickR Offline
Member L3

Thanks, been doing a bit of googling on the Sidi Discoverys and they see to be very well rated.

#25444 - 09/09/07 05:08 AM Re: Reccomend me some gear ... [Re: NickR]
Jetlag Offline

Loc: Clinton, NJ 08809
Like km, I wear Thor 50/50 boots, but my use is for light street duty on the XT and day trips on the V-Strom. For serious dirt I use Gaerne, which are on the pricey side, but very comfortable and protective. For colder weather/longer trips on the Strom I use TourMaster Solution road boots. I recommend buying from a local store where they'll give you the right to return them if you've only worn them at home. I did that with my Fox Trackers, which I thought I would use for dirt, but elt like Frankenstein in them, so I swapped them for the Gaerne's. Good luck.
2005 XT 225: Ken Sean Folding Mirrors, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Agri Supply Tool Tube, Moose Racing Rear Fender Pack, Big Gun EVO X Exhaust, Fuel Screw 3 Turns Out, 130 Main Jet, 42.5 Pilot Jet, UNI Air Filter, NGK Iridium Plug, Kenda Trakmaster II 760's F/R, 14T Sunstar Front Sprocket, 49T JT Rear Sprocket, S-W Motech Handlebar Risers,Renthal Aluminum Handlebar, Removed Passenger Footpegs, Bill's Footpegs, Rear Shock Adjusted Harder.

"Que Serow, Serow..."

#136544 - 05/01/17 10:26 PM Re: Reccomend me some gear ... [Re: NickR]
mrgizmow Offline

Loc: Paradise, CA. USA
Perhaps this information is included elsewhere though it merits duplication. Though generally not advised, virtually all my adventures are done alone. For me,
alone works best and I enjoy trying to be thoroughly prepared. As I have gotten older, injury is an even greater concern, but what also has become a bit more of an issue is bike/load weight. A couple of seasons ago getting the bike upright again after a simple fall turned out to be a big deal so I had to downsize my gear a bit. For many years I have been using a Spot with auto tracking (well worth the extra $$) The Spot has been fine but now it is time for me to add a higher powered unit. Now in my gear I include a PLB (personal locator beacon ($170). Should I be unconscious, The Spots auto signal every few minutes should give folks a good starting point. If I am able to activate the PLB, it's much stronger signal will let folks know exactly where I am. Note Spot mount. Even after a fall the unit's antenna should still be pointing skyward.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
1 registered (alexd), 23 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11395
alexd 5804
Muniac 4823
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 3752
kris 2363
peejman 2186
Doc250 1643
JerryH 1508