Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Blast from The Past: 1986 BBS System online Now! #136350 04/10/17 02:14 PM
Az4x4 Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member

ARSTechnica reports on a Real, Live 'Blast from The Past!' in BBS Land..

For those who remember the old original BBS days and thought they were gone forever, click HERE to learn about a 1986 bulletin board system that has brought the old Web back to life right now, in 2017!

What memories does this bring back for you, if you're old enough to remember the original BBS Days?!

One user called 'Tillek' shared his sentiments, and the intimacy of this old BBS system caused him to openly lament the current state of Web affairs.

For me, it’s about reliving my youth and about avoiding idiots," Tillek says. "Most people smart enough to post on BBS’s aren’t that stupid… and in my advancing age, I can only handle stupid in small doses... It was kind of the same back then. Computers weren’t overly user friendly in my BBS days. People who tended to use them had to have a certain level of mastery. You could be reasonably assured that you all had something in common… it reminds me of, and lets me live a bit in better times.

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Blast from The Past: 1986 BBS System online Now! [Re: Az4x4] #136352 04/10/17 05:49 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
We used to use a product called Wildcat for BBS back in the day. Good system for the times and hardware it ran on. As for networking, LapLink was a good tool too.

As for the internet, it's reflective of the audience it serves. Certainly not the place it once was for many reasons. That said, you can use it to your liking, be aware of what's going on and know the downsides of technology.

I have people trying to hack into this board constantly. Our two step registration process has largely thwarted hackers and others bent on destruction. No penis enlargement pill ads in the near foreseeable future.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Blast from The Past: 1986 BBS System online Now! [Re: Muniac] #136376 04/11/17 09:20 PM
Az4x4 Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
..We used to use a product called Wildcat for BBS back in the day. Good system for the times and hardware it ran on..

Wildcat BBS software was the most used, most popular system for sysops and users alike back in the day.

..As for the internet, it's reflective of the audience it serves. Certainly not the place it once was for many reasons..

So true. In spite of everything today's Web offers, the experience of connecting with users via a BBS system remains unmatched.

Kailef, a 'Dura-Europos' BBS user, says it well: “I always enjoyed BBSing back in the 80s and early 90s, and I find a BBS to be a lot more 'personable' than a website. A website has a very public feel to it, whereas a BBS feels very much like being invited into someone’s living room.

..I have people trying to hack into this board constantly. Our two step registration process has largely thwarted hackers and others bent on destruction. No penis enlargement pill ads in the near foreseeable future.

Whatever it takes to keep trouble makers at bay and make sure things remain as 'personable,' informative, warm and friendly as they are here, I'd say that everyone who takes an active part on your site is supportive of your efforts, Scott!

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Blast from The Past: 1986 BBS System online Now! [Re: Az4x4] #136377 04/11/17 09:52 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thanks for the kind words. We've got a pretty diverse group here and I think people enjoy read and posting. Many have made friends here too which never hurts.

BBS and newsgroup formats have their place. But I think a properly admin'd blog offers many more perks less the BS.

Yahoo's newsgroups had issues with hackers and other security breaches. Not comforting. Removing one's self from newsgroups is almost futile. Things here are reasonably secure with email. I certainly don't whore any of it around.

The goal here is to maintain freedom and that can continue to the extent people use it responsibly and avoid dropping a turd in the punch bowl. Basic things like links, photo posting, video and PMs are blocked on many boards. Due to abuse. Straight ahead!

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Mountain_Sundae), 29 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,620
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,072
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,160
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,113
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics