Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Browsing history for sale without your permission [Re: Az4x4] #136287 04/06/17 04:00 AM
alexd Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
...And, if you're cheap or don't really care too much, at least (as I mentioned before) consider using Opera as your Browser, with it's free internal simple proxy VPN.

Use a more secure E-Mail Site such as GMX.COM for your E-identity.

Use Search engines such as Ixquick and DuckDuckGo.

There are many other similar free choices...make it difficult for "them," even if you have nothing whatsoever to hide.

Alexd

Last edited by alexd; 04/06/17 04:02 AM.

(one) 2006 XT225, (two) 2005 XT225, 2006 FZ1
Re: Browsing history for sale without your permission [Re: alexd] #136291 04/06/17 08:10 PM
alexd Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here are two Sites that automatically TEST your "Privacy."
Free, and launched immediately, showing results.

https://browserleaks.com/webrtc

https://dnsleaktest.com/

Alexd

Re: Browsing history for sale without your permission [Re: alexd] #136385 04/13/17 03:27 PM
alexd Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Further developments in other countries:

April 13 - It’s "National Get a VPN Day" in Australia
Added: Wednesday, April 12th, 2017

Australia's mandatory data retention scheme comes into effect today, with Internet Service Providers (ISP) expected to retain and store their customers' Internet usage metadata. In response, privacy advocate group Digital Rights Watch has declared this event National Get a VPN Day, vowing to equip citizens with the VPN services they need to avoid surveillance.
In March 2015, Parliament passed laws requiring all ISPs to store customer internet activity. The government gave ISPs until April 13 this year to implement their collection schemes under those obligations. And that date is now upon us.

April 13 Mark it down in your calendars - it's "National Get a VPN Day."

Happy National Get a VPN Day
Chair of Digital Rights Watch Tim Singleton Norton wrote:
It's important that we mark this date - and pause to remember that a detailed picture of the private lives of Australian citizens is being collected by telecommunication companies on behalf of the government
That's why we've declared [April 13] as a national day of action - we're calling upon Australian citizens to educate themselves about the scale of this surveillance and take precautions accordingly.

Australian ISPs and companies are also required to log location data, including where any communications begin and where they terminate. It worth mentioning, that US Congress has recently voted to kill a law that would have stopped Internet Service Providers from selling your web browsing history. Your ISP can now sell your browsing history, personal data and habits to the highest bidder.

Torrentfreak and other media have already mentioned that VPN usage is skyrocketed after new US law and data retention law in Australia

Say goodbye to your online privacy if you are not using VPN!!!

So, what’s important while you are choosing a VPN?

- Check whether the VPN keeps logs of user activity. Many privacy-focused VPNs are intentionally very up front about their no-log policies. VPN should be anonymous, protect your online activity, don't store any logs

- Located under offshore jurisdiction like Seychelles or outside of “Fourteen Eyes” or “Enemy of the Internet” countries.

- Prevents ISP from tracking your every move. If VPN provider receives DMCA requests or Copyright Infringement Notices – truly anonymous VPN ignores them. It’s possible if VPN service is located under offshore jurisdictions like Seychelles because there is no mandatory data retention law in Seychelles

- Doesn’t block BitTorrent traffic, accepts anonymous payments like Bitcoin

- Doesn’t need your personal details. Just email needed.

- Free trial available. Please test before purchasing any VPN.

Alexd

Re: Browsing history for sale without your permission [Re: alexd] #136476 04/22/17 02:06 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

If using a VPN is something you've considered but haven't done anything about just yet, it may be interesting to note that even Popular Mechanics is encouraging its readers to use a VPN, pointing out what it considers The 5 Best VPNs for Protecting Your Online Privacy.

Here's PM's Own Words on the subject:

"Now is the time to get a VPN & start protecting yourself.

Apr 21, 2017

In an age where internet privacy is far from guaranteed, there's never been a better time for a VPN subscription. Use this guide to compare our best VPN offerings and find the one that's right for you.
"

It's worth checking these VPNs out if only to more thoroughly inform yourself as to the worth of these essential online security services.

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Browsing history for sale without your permission [Re: Az4x4] #136477 04/22/17 06:55 PM
Selden Offline
Member L3
Member L3
Even VPNs can be leaky.

This week I stumbled on a very easy to use e-mail encryption extension, Virtru. Worth checking out if you send e-mail that may contain sensitive information.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.
Re: Browsing history for sale without your permission [Re: Selden] #136478 04/22/17 10:19 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Selden
..Even VPNs can be leaky..

True. That's the reason you should try out a VPN service for free before signing up long term. Once your VPN of choice is up and running, then do a Google search for checking a VPN for leaks, and follow the instructions you'll find there. You'll quickly determine if a particular VPN is trustworthy or not, then proceed accordingly..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Browsing history for sale without your permission [Re: Az4x4] #136479 04/23/17 02:07 AM
alexd Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I'm really not trying to sell anyone on what I did...but I think it's good to pass info around.

I tested TrustZone with their 3 day free trial (1G download max.) and was happy, then signed up for 1 year at $39.95 total.

I did this at the beginning of this month. Since then I applied the VPN to 2 laptops, 1 desktop, and an Apple IPAD. All working fine, except the Apple OS is more limiting for selecting/switching apparent IPs on the fly...compared to the Windows OS on the other machines (all running Win7 64bit).

So, it works fine (by my testing) with Safari on the IPAD, and Opera/Firefox/IE/Chrome/Epic Privacy Browser (a variation of Chrome) on everything else that's Windows 7.

I did find something interesting. Now and then I go to HBO GO and SHOWTIME ANYTIME, both of which are for internet viewing if you are subscribed to them through Dish or Direct TV, or other subscription enterprises. I found that HBO and SHOWTIME won't allow a "connect" if it perceives that your IP isn't in the USA...regardless that you're otherwise an authorized user. No big deal if you swap IPs.

Anyway, as Az4x4 said...if you're considering a VPN, get a free test first. Several allow this without any preliminary funding, etc.
If you decide to buy, you can use a credit card or PayPal...or to be really under the wire...BitCoin or risking mailing cash. (I used PayPal).

Alexd

Last edited by alexd; 04/23/17 08:50 PM.

Re: Browsing history for sale without your permission [Re: Az4x4] #136484 04/23/17 04:55 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thanks for the information. It's useful to those concerned about privacy. Always good to get the dope from those that have traveled the roads.

As mentioned, this doesn't provide complete anonymity but merely makes it a bit tougher to get discovered. If the government wants to find you they will. They've even left holes in the encryption schemes so they can snoop. So the fighting goes on. Good luck on the battlefield.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,620
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,072
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,160
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics