Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136021 - 03/17/17 07:04 PM Even more fun and games for Windows users..
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Microsoft says it will block Windows Updates for owners of the latest Intel and AMD processors if they try to run Windows 7 or 8.1 on these chips. Announcing a shift in its support for Windows, Microsoft says that going forward, new processors, including Intel's Kaby Lake and AMD's new Ryzen, would require the newest version of Windows 10. Users of Windows 7 and 8.1 will be out of luck, with Microsoft having no plans to support the new chips on the older operating systems.

#136024 - 03/17/17 08:25 PM Re: Even more fun and games for Windows users.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
No issues here as I'm frozen with Windows XP. All the Windows I need for a few legacy applications I won't part with. Use Linux for current stuff. I'm proudly on the cutting edge of obsolete technology. Keeps peace of mine. laugh

#136028 - 03/18/17 12:39 AM Re: Even more fun and games for Windows users.. [Re: Az4x4]
alexd Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Illinois, USA
Originally Posted By: Az4x4

Microsoft says it will block Windows Updates for owners of the latest Intel and AMD processors if they try to run Windows 7 or 8.1 on these chips. Announcing a shift in its support for Windows, Microsoft says that going forward, new processors, including Intel's Kaby Lake and AMD's new Ryzen, would require the newest version of Windows 10. Users of Windows 7 and 8.1 will be out of luck, with Microsoft having no plans to support the new chips on the older operating systems.

Are you sure about this? I'll take your word, but it seems like a dumb move by Microsoft to cross the line and be THIS aggressive. (Yes, I know that they've been dumb many times before!)

Alexd

#136033 - 03/18/17 05:01 PM Re: Even more fun and games for Windows users.. [Re: alexd]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Check it out on ARS-Technica. It's about to happen..

#136046 - 03/19/17 12:27 AM Re: Even more fun and games for Windows users.. [Re: Az4x4]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

There’s an in your face price to be paid for using “Windows as a service.” Windows 10 is ever more infested with annoying ads and bloatware apps. The first showed up on the lock screen as supposedly helpful “tips” to users. Then 'Candy Crush' was bundled with the OS. And now Microsoft is pushing annoying commercial notifications onto the task bar and into the File Explorer.

Windows 10 users complain about 'OneDrive' notifications in the File Explorer, suggesting they pay $6.99 for an Office 365 subscription. Task bar notifications prompt users to switch from Chrome to Edge, or install Microsoft’s 'Personal Shopping Assistant for Chrome'. Microsoft even uses notifications to 'warn' Chrome users about supposed 'battery drain' issues.

While these notifications further sour the experience of using Windows 10, Microsoft is planning to preinstall 'Sling TV' in Windows 10. It will sit alongside Candy Crush and Solitaire as examples of corporate sponsored bloatware. Microsoft will add more such annoyances to Windows 10 as time goes on.

Microsoft used to blame its corporate partners for bundling useless unwanted bloatware on older Windows PCs. Now it has only itself to blame for doing the same with Windows 10.

Microsoft has every right to bundle whatever it wants with Windows 10 - unless of course some court somewhere says they don't. The argument as it now stands says that most people moved to Windows 10 when it was available free of charge, so they have no reason to complain about how it's set up when they get it.

On the other hand millions of users paid for Windows 10 in the purchase price of the new laptop or desktop PC they use. Pushing notifications into the File Explorer and onto the task bar, parts of the OS that should be off limits to these sorts of ventures, is a slap in the face to Windows 10 users.

If Microsoft is going to subject its users to irritating prompts and worthless bloatware, at least they should channel these through the Windows 10 notification center, not wedged into the File Explorer or placed on the task bar. And those who want to disable these annoyances shouldn't have to fumble around in the deepest recesses of the settings panel to do so - not when they shouldn't be in the File Explorer or on the task bar in the first place.

Microsoft backed off on its deceptive Windows 10 upgrade prompts that caused so much ruckus last year, so it's possible that users can at least hope that the company will come to its senses and quit cramming annoying ads and worthless bloatware into Windows 10.

However, given Microsoft's lengthy history of taking undue advantage of its users, those using Windows 10 probably shouldn't stand around holding their breath waiting for that to happen. I'm certainly not - but I'm not a user of Windows 10 in the first place, so that probably doesn't count!

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11385
alexd 5765
Muniac 4793
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 3732
kris 2363
peejman 2145
Doc250 1643
JerryH 1508