Rate Thread
Dead Battery Jump Start #133534 08/05/16 02:01 PM
S
sear Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
S
Yesterday friends & I had to go to the county building to take care of some paperwork. Some of us had left our metal home, so we wouldn't have to get felt up at the magnetometer. I took my belt off, and used a shoe lace instead. I put my door key in my shoe, to keep it out of range of the magnetometer.

BUT !!

Perhaps because it wasn't my usual key ring, I'd failed to remove the XT ignition key from the lock, before I got in my friend's car. So the XT headlight was on for hours.

When we returned I had 3 dozen refrigerated eggs, and needed to get them home and in the refrigerator in a hurry, and had miles to go before then.

I hopped on the XT, but the battery (still original equipment on my 2009!) was dead dead.

I had the luggage rack (milk crate) on the back, so hopping on and off was difficult. Plus I had 3 dozen eggs in my backpack.

My friend tried to push-start me on the road, but the tire just skidded on the melted tar (hot day).

I asked him if he had a rope.
He came back with a 20' long ~3" ratchet strap.

We hooked one end to his 7 liter diesel engine truck (he runs a 9' wide snow-plow with it).
Instead of tying the XT end with a knot, I just wrapped the other end from the front fork on my right side, wrapped around to the left, up around the handlebar, and simply gripped the webbing with my throttle hand, leaving my clutch hand free to get the engine going.

Because the tow vector was off axis, it put serious stability adversity into the operation. Perhaps a combination of extensive water skiing experience and 60 miles a week on my bicycle had me up to the task (I'm pretty good on two wheels).
I kept the XT rubber-side down (albeit wobbly), and at about 30 MPH eased off the clutch in 3rd gear. The engine was very shortly running (choke out), I relaxed my grip on the throttle which allowed the tow webbing to feed loose & free of the XT; & I was on my way.

THIS ACCOUNT IS NEITHER A RECOMMENDATION NOR AN ENDORSEMENT. It's dangerous; lots of opportunity for damage & injury.

BUT !!

It's nice to know, when you do NOT have:
- an auxiliary kick-start (I don't), or
- the tools needed to access the battery (to recharge it), or
- a charger, or
- the time (the eggs need refrigeration) to sit around waiting for the battery charger to finish

there are other options; however risky.

Another option is to party with people that live atop steep hills. I've done that too. (Before my XT had 200 miles on it I couldn't get it started due to cold, so I jump-started it by rolling it down a steep hill).

PS
I checked the eggs when I got home.
They seem to be fine.

2009 XT250 w/ 16T, 12 VDC socket, tank pannier, winged access screws
"Safety is no accident."
Re: Dead Battery Jump Start [Re: sear] #133541 08/05/16 05:42 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Glad no chicken fruit was lost in the process. When the tire skids, you can try standing on the pegs and slamming your butt down just as you release the clutch. Sometimes that'll give the tire enough bite to turn the engine over.

I have also tow/bump started bikes before, but they were towed behind another bike. The rider of the dead bike holds the strap. Once moving, the rider on the dead bike lets go before releasing the clutch such that the bikes aren't connected. It can make for an exciting moment should the engine burst forth into life when the bikes/riders are connected.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Dead Battery Jump Start [Re: sear] #133558 08/06/16 04:55 AM
S
sear Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
S
pj !
You are TOTALLY the man!

You're right. Releasing the tow line before faddiddling the clutch is the rational thing to do.

I was clawing for micro-seconds, and wanted to get it going w/ ultimate dispatch.

Had weeks worth of refrigeratable food not weighed in the balance, I'd hope I'd have followed your more rational model.

"Any port in a storm."

Thank you pj, for adding a fig leaf of rationality to my red-necked antics.

2009 XT250 w/ 16T, 12 VDC socket, tank pannier, winged access screws
"Safety is no accident."
Re: Dead Battery Jump Start [Re: sear] #134389 10/07/16 07:32 AM
G
GuitarDave Offline
G
It's starts better in 3rd or 4th gear, with a push start.
(With a person on the bike to weigh it down)
If you don't, the rear tire will just lock up and drag.

I got lucky and picked up a kick start kit for mine
just as the supply was running out. $129

Now ya can't even find them, and when you do,
that want crazy money for it.

David
Re: Dead Battery Jump Start [Re: sear] #134417 10/09/16 04:50 AM
d2reid Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What a great story. When DW's battery died we did the you push I'll bump thing. Good thing was we could push it downhill. Tow straps are a huge gamble on a MC, glad you are nimble/strong enough to make it work.

Re: Dead Battery Jump Start [Re: sear] #134425 10/09/16 10:24 PM
#brer15 Offline
Silver Member
Silver Member
I have gotten mine bump started in my driveway at about 10 MPH, using 2nd gear.

2004 XT225 purchased new in October 2004 0 miles. Current miles over 27,000.

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics