Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: peejman] #131556 04/19/16 10:44 PM
Selden Offline
Member L3
Member L3
Originally Posted By: peejman
Disintegration machine is an EDM, Electrical Dishcharge Machining.

There are two different types, EDM vs MDM. I had a summer job with Electro Arc in 1967.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.
Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: Selden] #131568 04/20/16 01:29 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Selden
There are two different types, EDM vs MDM. I had a summer job with Electro Arc in 1967.

Interesting. So does an MDM not use a dielectric fluid? How is it different from a simple hole driller EDM?

We had a salesman come here a while back with a nifty little gizmo about the side of a hand drill that popped the heads off broken bolts in a couple seconds with air as the dielectric. Cool toy, but $50k was just a touch on the pricey side.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: rifraf] #131583 04/21/16 12:59 AM
Selden Offline
Member L3
Member L3
As far as I can tell, EDM is best suited for machining, while MDM is preferable for removing broken tools. This comes from Electro Arc's page on the difference:

Quote:
Disintegrators or MDM machines are manufactured for the specific purpose of removing broken tools from work pieces. The metal disintegration process removes a tap, bolt or drill leaving the hole intact and allowing a part to be reclaimed.

The difference between MDM and EDM is speed, cost and accuracy. MDM removes material very fast. MDM uses a spark erosion process commonly used for destructive cutting. Typical application includes broken tool extraction (taps, drills, reamers, drill bits) metallurgical sample excavation and bolt removal. There is no faster or efficient or cost effective method to remove broken tools, studs or fasteners than MDM.

Using an EDM to remove broken tooling is possible, but it is time-consuming and has limitations. First, the part has to be small enough to fit in the dielectric fluid container. Second, an EDM machine will take hours to extract a 3/8” tap, where an MDM will take just minutes. Third, the MDM process does not require submersion of the part. Lastly, EDM machines are significantly more expensive than MDMs and tying up an expensive production machine with tooling extraction could be costly.

Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: rifraf] #131586 04/21/16 12:35 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thanks. That was my guess, that the MDM just sort of blasts away with little/no regard for surface finish or tool wear, and the MDM probably has much more rudimentary controls and won't do any of the more involved motions that an EDM will do. Because of that, I'm sure the MDM is much less expensive.

I'll disagree with their statement that it takes hours to remove a 3/8" tap with an EDM. Just depends on what sort of electrode you use and how much power your machine has. But we tend to be happy with slow and careful... removing a broken tap from a part that costs more than your house with minimal damage tolerance can be touchy.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: rifraf] #132256 05/25/16 10:38 PM
rifraf Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All,

Thanks for all your input. I still haven't gotten around to drilling out the stripped screw. The weather has been pretty miserable in Maryland so I haven't been riding much so it has'nt been on my radar. Plus theres a million other things to do around the house...

The weather final broke and finally got the bike out yesterday. I noticed a few times on deceleration I would get a pop or backfire noise which I'm hoping is due to the exhaust issue I'm having.

Anyway,

Today I made up a mixture of soap and water and sprayed my exhaust down with it and fired up the bike. I think I found the problem. Where the exhaust comes out of the engine on the under side of the pipe I was getting a whole bunch of bubbles, and a lot more bubbles when I opened the throttle. I'm hoping its just the gasket... Should I just buy the gasket or should I take the exhaust off and inspect it for cracks/holes first?

Is taking the exhaust off a big job? This will be my first DIY repair. If its the gasket, do I just swap them out and put the bike back together?

Here's a nice blurry photo of the bubbles in action:

thanks
-j

2013 xt250 + farkles
Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: rifraf] #132258 05/25/16 11:27 PM
Selden Offline
Member L3
Member L3
I don't know about the exhaust header, but the bolts holding the muffler to the frame were secured with Loctite on my 2006. They simply would not budge until I used a heat gun to get them to a temperature where they started smoking, and even then it took quite a bit of force.

So, if the bolts securing the exhaust header to the engine won't budge when it's cold, start the engine, and get them good and hot — this is really not a place where you want to be drilling out a broken fastener.

Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: Selden] #132259 05/25/16 11:51 PM
rifraf Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Selden,

The broken screw is on the spark arrestor not the exhaust head, thank god!

2013 xt250 + farkles
Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: rifraf] #132260 05/26/16 12:04 AM
rifraf Offline OP
OP Offline
So I went ahead and started unscrewing things and managed to get the pipe off. What I found was a very loose gasket sitting in the hole. I'm hoping this is the culprit. It was wet around the gasket from me hosing the soap water off of the bike and I didn't see any cracks or holes in the pipe so I'm guessing the gasket was letting the water in. I'll call my local dealer to see if they have the gasket in stock.

Thanks!

2013 xt250 + farkles
Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: rifraf] #132266 05/26/16 06:21 AM
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!
MR SEROW!
Hi Rifraf,

the gasket is a compression fit so you should always replace it the the exhaust has been removed. There's also a gasket between the header pipe and the muffler section, so it's good practise to have a spare one of those as well.

Each time I've bought any of my XT's, whether new or pre-owned, I've removed the front mountings nuts from the exhaust studs, ensured the studs have be well coated with a high temperature lubricant then refitted the nuts, and added a second nut to each stud. This then stops the need to use Locking compounds and ensure an easy removal, the next time you need to work on the exhaust.

Regards

Reggie

Team Cabra, Brazilian XT225, Team Ukulele, Japan import XT225, a 250 to be named and loads of 2 stroke Kawasaki AR's!
Re: Does the exhaust get louder as the bike breaks in? [Re: rifraf] #132267 05/26/16 12:12 PM
Selden Offline
Member L3
Member L3
Great tip, Reggie.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,623
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,168
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics