Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The 2013 and newer Fuel Inj XT250 can run better. #125108 01/11/15 10:02 PM
B
Bill G Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The 2013 and newer fuel Inj XT250 run well but they can run a little better.

I installed a Dyno Jet Power Commander FC fuel controle specific for the 2013 and newer fuel Inj bikes. The controller comes with a map to match the stock configuration of the XT250 and three dip switches to add fuel +/- to the low,mid or high range. The XT250 just plain ran better and smoother stock with the configured map from Dyno Jet doing nothing other than installing it. ( With no other mods this is a perfect set up for stock)

(Note I wanted to keep the bike quiet left stock stock exhaust on bike)

More power can be made though. It is very easy to do with the Power Comander FC module. (The weak spot on the XT250 is the air box restrictions)

What I did to make even more noticeable low and mid power and smooth top end power. ( The XT250 is a low mid torque designed bike from the factory)

Step 1. I added a K&N factory replacement air filter.
Step 2. I purchased another air box lid and installed a 1" uni air box filter plug into the lid between the main brace that holds the filter down in place (note this is a very precise and tight fit to install this 1" filter plug as it just barely fits) This added more air to the air box (not much more air is needed)
Step 3. I adjusted the fuel controller low,mid and High as needed to run correctly. The XT250 runs great and has more power and is still quiet for trail and street riding.

(NOTE)

Setting ended up being stock pipe, Power Commander FC XT250 fuel controller 2013 & newer setting = low dip switch at +1 Mid dip switch at +2 High dip switch at +3, K&N factory replacement air filter, factory air box lid with added 1" diameter Uni filter air box plug added to lid for more air to air box.

I really like the way my 2013 XT250 performs now.
Power Commander $199.00, K&N filter $45.00, extra air box lid $14.00, Uni 1" air filter box plugs pack of 6 $12.00

Could not post pic's on forum.

If anyone wants pic's just PM me with an e-mail address. I will send a few pic's of the air box lid mod and the placement and wiring of the Power Commander FC for the 2013 & newer XT250.

Happy Riding To All,
Bill G

Re: The 2013 and newer Fuel Inj XT250 can run better. [Re: Bill G] #125132 01/14/15 09:44 PM
B
Bill G Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Update,

More testing and tuning to inc plug readings. The XT250 even with fuel Inj is very lean from the factory as stated in original post bike ran good at those setting. Now with more time and testing and several plug readings my XT250 runs the best it has ever run at these settings with the Dyno Jet Fuel Commander FC, +1 on low +4 on Mid & +4 on high with the shown modified air box lid.

I am very pleased with the outcome of this upgrade. My 2013 XT250 now has really sweet low,mid & high performance and cruse at top speeds smooth with no struggles. The plug color is good and the throttle response is better than ever. The bike also gets to top speed a lot faster and smoother than when it was stock.

Happy and safe riding to all,
Bill G

Re: The 2013 and newer Fuel Inj XT250 can run better. [Re: Bill G] #125140 01/15/15 02:01 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
You realize that the old art of plug reading doesn't really work with unleaded ethanol infused gasoline, right? The best way to check A/F ratio is to install a wide band O2 sensor with a meter so you can see exactly what's coming of the the exhaust.

That said, the ass-o-meter and fuel mileage are pretty useful for getting it close. The Dynojet and other similar EFI programmers typically do quite a good job at getting better performance out of the bike.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: The 2013 and newer Fuel Inj XT250 can run better. [Re: peejman] #125149 01/15/15 10:18 PM
B
Bill G Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: peejman
You realize that the old art of plug reading doesn't really work with unleaded ethanol infused gasoline, right? The best way to check A/F ratio is to install a wide band O2 sensor with a meter so you can see exactly what's coming of the the exhaust.

That said, the ass-o-meter and fuel mileage are pretty useful for getting it close. The Dynojet and other similar EFI programmers typically do quite a good job at getting better performance out of the bike.

Yes, I do understand and agree and know what your talking about you just read them differently now but you can still get usefull information out of the plug reading to help you out.

My best life time friend owns a custom motorcycle tuning and engine building shop with a top reputation. He has shown me things to look for when reading plugs with modern fuel. Also he has all the A/F ratio reading equipment at hand for tuning, re-mapping, jetting work. I also have been riding and building bikes ( Harley's,dirt bikes, sport bikes, ATV and so on) my hole life since I was a kid and have acquired a pretty good feel for it ( About 30 years now)

You are100% right the Dyno Jet and other EFI programmers do a great job over all getting better performance out of your bike. Also EFI programmers are a lot easier to tune after installation. Not like a carburetor where sometimes you have to pull a carb of again to make a jet change or pull a slide to make a needle adjustment for fuel adjustments.

Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 01/15/15 10:33 PM.
Re: The 2013 and newer Fuel Inj XT250 can run better. [Re: Bill G] #125307 01/23/15 04:43 AM
B
Bill G Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Bill G
Update,

More testing and tuning to inc plug readings. The XT250 even with fuel Inj is very lean from the factory as stated in original post bike ran good at those setting. Now with more time and testing and several plug readings my XT250 runs the best it has ever run at these settings with the Dyno Jet Fuel Commander FC, +1 on low +4 on Mid & +4 on high with the shown modified air box lid.

I am very pleased with the outcome of this upgrade. My 2013 XT250 now has really sweet low,mid & high performance and cruse at top speeds smooth with no struggles. The plug color is good and the throttle response is better than ever. The bike also gets to top speed a lot faster and smoother than when it was stock.

Bill G

I-22-15
UPDATE to my thread above on the modded air box lid and the Power Commander FC on the 2013 Fuel Inj Yamaha XT250.

After spending even some more time on a few long rides the bike ran great and had nice power gains. But and there is always a but, at maintained higher speeds there was some air box noise (rattle under load) that could be heard it was not real bad but I did not care for it myself and any additional small gains ( very small gains if any by the seat of the pants) were not worth the rattle noise and gas mileage loss to me. My mileage also dropped down to 57 to 58 miles per gallon average in town and highway with the air box lid mod and the added fuel in the low,mid & high RPM ranges that it took for this mod.

(Note)
I found the XT250 to runs 98% as well with the Dyno Jet map that came loaded for the stock XT250 configuration with the stock air box along with the K&N factory replacement air filter. This set up had no air box noise at higher speeds and performed very very well. ( plus at the end of the day the fuel mileage will be a lot better this way)

All and all in my opinion now for me after all the testing and riding the stock XT250 configuration with the Power Commander FC with Dyno Jets map matching the stock configuration plus the K&N factory replacement air filter is the best way to go for performance gains good mileage while keeping the bike quiet with the stock exhaust.

In summery,
It was a fun experiment but in the big picture Dyno Jet got the map right on spot for the stock configuration. The bike really runs great set up this way with a lot better performance than stock. What the heck it's only a 250 but the performance gains was worth the cost of the Power Commander FC and the K&N filter.

Happy riding to all,
Bill G

Re: The 2013 and newer Fuel Inj XT250 can run better. [Re: Bill G] #132333 05/28/16 09:08 PM
N
newxtowner Offline
N
Hey Bill I just got my dyno jet fc for my 2015 xt and I can't get it to run with the fc installed. I've triple checked everything. Ground wire. Injector conector, harness connector then positap the yellow /blue wire on man harness. Any ideas. I plug my stock connectors back up and it runs. With it connected it shows 28 on the led screen. Thanks for the help

Re: The 2013 and newer Fuel Inj XT250 can run better. [Re: Bill G] #132336 05/28/16 09:53 PM
N
newxtowner Offline
N
Problem solved

Re: The 2013 and newer Fuel Inj XT250 can run better. [Re: Bill G] #143552 11/16/18 01:26 AM
E
EpicTony Offline
E
I have a 2016 xt250 and I can't seem to find the part ANYWHERE in the USA. Where did you buy yours from? Dynojet says they are not for sale in the USA only European markets.
Thanks, Tony

this part: XT250 Dynojet Power Commander Fuel Controller (PCFC) (FC22902)

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics