Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135185 - 12/16/16 04:18 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
The Kenda rear tire is pretty heavy in the side walls. Helps a bit. Bike weighs around 270 Lbs. I think for long haul riding one should be prepared to change flats. Or go for the Mousse Tubes which are expensive. Not sure how one seats the bead with these. After changing a tire, I usually need about 40 PSI to seat the bead properly with some bouncing of the tire on the floor. Then I air down to 12-15 PSI for trail riding.

#135299 - 01/02/17 02:07 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
#brer15 Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: Atlanta,GA
I have never had a problem getting the rear tire to seat. But for some reason the front tire is more difficult for me. I just changed my tires a couple of months ago, and as I am typing this now the front is still not seated properly. I can get it almost there, with just one small area where the "seating line" is not straight, off by about 3 or 4mm. I was just going to wait until spring and ride it a little as is, hoping that will stretch the tire just a bit. And then just breaking the bead again and starting over. Turns out I'm going to need another rotor any way, so I will do both at the same time.

#135300 - 01/02/17 02:35 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Could be a bad/bent spot in the rim making the bead not want to seat. Lube the bead good with heavy soapy water, air it up to 40 psi or so and bounce it pretty hard, and it should pop into place.

#135303 - 01/02/17 03:09 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
patuca Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: Cranbrook BC Canada
I think peejman might have it. The chances are the rim is bent if the bead won't set just at one point.

If you hit a pothole or a curb hard the tire will compress into the rim bending the beads outwards and making the rim wider and it might change the rolling radius slighty too.

Prop the front up and spin it with a chalk or pencil held as an indicator and check for a bulge in the bead on both sides. If the bump in the wheel is symetrical (the same on both sides) you can drop the air pressure and use a G-clamp to clamp the rim and compress it together.

This will cure the rim being too wide although it might not help any radial distortion but as long as it isn't severe enough to distort the tire and the tread spins true it's not a major problem.

My old bike has a few of those too....

patuca

#135308 - 01/02/17 10:19 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
Beaker Offline
Member L2

Loc: Colorado Front Range, US
I used Windex as a lube on my street bike when I changed the tires. It's still a tough job. Heated rubber helps; I put the tires in a clear plastic bag and left them in the sun a bit.

#135310 - 01/02/17 11:39 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: peejman]
#brer15 Offline
Bronze Member

Originally Posted By: peejman
Could be a bad/bent spot in the rim making the bead not want to seat. Lube the bead good with heavy soapy water, air it up to 40 psi or so and bounce it pretty hard, and it should pop into place.
The rim is not bent. I have had this problem on this rim before, the first time I put a replacement on it. This time is the third replacement (fourth tire). I have already used plenty of lube (spray can tire lube), inflated to 55 psi, was afraid to go any higher, and have bounced the tire like a basket ball. The only thing I did different the first time and this time, is I rode it around for a while, and then just broke the bead again and redid. So I will just try that again, I will just wait until spring, it must have been summer the first time it happened, based on the mileage I changed it at. So maybe it is the cooler temps making this time a little harder. Thanks for the input.

#135314 - 01/03/17 04:52 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: #brer15]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Originally Posted By: #brer15
The rim is not bent. I have had this problem on this rim before, the first time I put a replacement on it. This time is the third replacement (fourth tire). I have already used plenty of lube (spray can tire lube), inflated to 55 psi, was afraid to go any higher, and have bounced the tire like a basket ball. The only thing I did different the first time and this time, is I rode it around for a while, and then just broke the bead again and redid. So I will just try that again, I will just wait until spring, it must have been summer the first time it happened, based on the mileage I changed it at. So maybe it is the cooler temps making this time a little harder. Thanks for the input.

If it's done this before then it's likely not a problem with the tires. Does it not seat in the same spot on the rim every time? You could put a piece of tape on the spokes where it won't seat, break the bead, rotate the tire at bit, and try again. If it still doesn't seat in the same spot, there is something going on with the rim there. You could hold a straight edge against the rim to help see if there's a small area where it's bent. It also helps to for the tire to be warm, leave it out in the sun for a while, or hit the offending spot with a hair dryer.

#135318 - 01/04/17 04:56 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
You may want to set the tire horizontal on a flat surface. Set your rim on top of the tire aligning it center to center by making the overhanging margin even. The tire should track with the rim perfectly all the way around. This might reveal a misalignment. IE something not perfectly round. Good luck.

#135353 - 01/07/17 12:09 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
#brer15 Offline
Bronze Member

It gave me this problem the first time I replaced the tire. Gave me no problem the second time I replaced the tire. Now it is giving me the same problem the third time I'm replacing the tire. I'm real confident the rim is not bent, looks straight when spinning the rim without the tire on it, all the spokes sound good. Its just me. I'm going to be taking every ones advice and wait until it is warm. The hair drier sounds like a good idea also, may try that. Need to wait until I get another rotor anyway, so I can change that at the same time. Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.

#136407 - 04/16/17 10:56 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
#brer15 Offline
Bronze Member

Got the new after market rotor a while back. Installed it and was able to get the tire to seat, using a hair drier, as peejman suggested. Thanks

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5738
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4230
peejman 3207
kris 2366
Paul49 1716
Doc250 1643