Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116802 - 10/04/13 08:30 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
Deserteagle56 Offline
Member L2

Loc: Central Nevada, USA
Originally Posted By: operaflute
OOh, thanks for link.

I really would like to master this BEFORE I find myself in the field with a flat.

Make sure you get some practice with the tube patching kit also. And even if you never get to use your patch kit, change it out periodically anyway. Fresh cement and patches are always best. Ask me how I know!

Just remember, depending on what punctured your tire you may be able to repair it without completely removing the tire from the rim. Matter of fact, I can't even remember the last time I did that in the field. Break the bead of the tire away from the rim, reach in and grab the tube and pull out enough of it to work on, and apply the patch. It's not quite as easy as it sounds (think pinched fingers and lots of cuss words) but most times it's easier and quicker than having to pull the tire off the rim. Just remember to pull out the offending object (nail, thorn, etc.)before you start work but mark the spot where it went in.

#116810 - 10/05/13 12:06 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: Tigersaw]
operaflute Offline
Member L1

Loc: AZ and UT
That's the thing. I couldn't get it in there in the first place (no matter the kneeling the jumping the stomping the stepping or anything) much less keep it in there. C-clamp perhaps would have helped.

Originally Posted By: Tigersaw

3) No amount of effort allowed me to "push the bead into the groove."

I just kneel on the opposite side to the one I am working on to keep it in the groove.
I once tried pushing a wooden chock in to keep it depressed, it kind of worked but was a bad shape

#116852 - 10/06/13 06:11 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
nextlife Offline

Loc: Southern Utah
How many miles do the stock tires last for? My bike has 900 miles and I would like to know if I should change them out before I leave on a long tour in November.

Cheers

#116855 - 10/06/13 07:52 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: nextlife]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Loc: Lancashire, England
Originally Posted By: nextlife
How many miles do the stock tires last for? My bike has 900 miles and I would like to know if I should change them out before I leave on a long tour in November.

Cheers

Hi Nextlife,

depending on the use, I get around 9,000 miles out of the front and a little more out of the back. The XT is the only bike I've ever owned that goes through more front tyres than rear ones!

Regards

Team Cabra, Brazilian XT225, Team Ukulele, Japan import XT225, a 250 to be named and loads of 2 stroke Kawasaki AR's!

#116860 - 10/06/13 01:22 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: Reggie]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Tire life depends on what you ride on, durometer rating of the tire, tread design, amount of skidding, temperature, inflation and available rubber thickness. Just to name a few factors. Durometer refers to the hardness of the rubber and varies from tire to tire. There's a PDF on it HERE.

A softer tire will erode more but may provide more traction in certain situations. A knobby pattern, for example, will provide more traction in terrain that allows it to "hook up". But that comes at the expense of less rubber in the tread pattern. These tires solve a traction problem in a unique way but wear quicker. Same can be said about trials tires. In tougher off road terrain we were getting about 700-900 miles out of our rear knobby tires and 5x that on the fronts. We'd replace the rear tires when the wear bars were gone.

In the Resources section there is the XT225 Tire Fitment thread HERE. You can read about tires there. Might shed some light on things.

My advice is, if you have any doubts about your tires and the means to replace them just get new tires. Especially if you are embarking on a tour. Don't overlook the importance of a good quality inner tube either. The usual checks should apply to include, rims, spokes, hub, bearings, brakes etc. Make sure all that stuff is in proper condition.

You may also find that locating the best tire for you is an empirical process. Front and rear tires may come from two different tire makers. And that's OK. Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

#116875 - 10/06/13 10:10 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: Muniac]
nextlife Offline

Okay, I think I will just buy new tires to be safe. Hey Muniac, do you know of a motorcycle mechanic in St. George, UT I can go to? I figure I could get my tires installed, valves adjusted - and then ask him what else the bike needs.

Thanks for the reply's

Cheers

#116879 - 10/07/13 12:05 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: nextlife]
CaptPhun Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I've changed tires on my XT225 & tubeless tires on my V-strom all by hand with simple tools (c-clamps, 3 tire spoons, rim protectors, something to keep the rotors from touching the ground like a couple of 4"x4" wood).
Here is the one tip that makes it a lot easier: RU-Glyde tire lubricant. Get it at Napa, Pep-Boys, Amazon, etc. $10 for a Gallon that will last a long time. Makes the tires slip on & off so much easier & doesn't bugger up aluminum rims. Its not WD-40, dish soap, etc, its only purpose in life is lubing tires for mounting/removing. Spend $10 on a gallon & save so much effort.

#116918 - 10/07/13 07:28 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: CaptPhun]
operaflute Offline
Member L1

Loc: AZ and UT
Confirmed: front is waaaay easier.
Confirmed: I can't work on motorcycles without going batshit crazy with frustration.

#116931 - 10/08/13 12:54 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
motoinmoab Offline
Member L1

Loc: Carefree, AZ, USA
Confirmed: front is waaaay easier.
Confirmed: I can't work on motorcycles without going batshit crazy with frustration.

Nothing else you do to your moto is as hard, knuckle busting, or frustrating. I love working on my bike but changing tires is the one thing I won't do. I installed a Rekluse clutch in my DRZ the other day- it was pure joy tearing into the motor, smiled for hours afterwards. But I won't change a tire, that's the best $20 I know how to spend.

#116938 - 10/08/13 03:40 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: motoinmoab]
nextlife Offline

Anybody here try beads to balance their tires? Just got a quote from a mechanic and I asked how he balanced the tires. He told me he uses beads. Good results here???

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5801
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4286
peejman 3273
kris 2366
Paul49 1736
Doc250 1643