Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116753 - 10/03/13 09:41 PM Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing)
operaflute Offline
Member L1

Loc: AZ and UT
Um, so, yeah, I've never changed my tires. It's time I learn.
Insert your own favorite curse words here: um, how do I get the dern tire OFF? Youtube vids etc. getting me nowhere, but I have gotten quite a bit of exercise jumping up and down on the thing... (bead is broken but that's as far as I can get)
For the record: Search for "tire change" comes up empty, but there's something wonky on that - any time I search for anything, I get a long random list of completely unrelated topics.)
Tips, please!

#116755 - 10/03/13 11:18 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
operaflute Offline
Member L1

I found this thread via google search:
http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=25309&page=1

In it, one post says the following:
KLM4755 (Keith) has a great D.I.Y (Do It Yourself) rear tube change (in the field) tutorial posted under the "Nuts, Bolts, Wrenching, Scratched Knuckles" category. It's done using a KLR650 rear wheel without the bead/rim lock, but is pretty similar to an XT225 rear wheel. He does a real nice job, has all the right tools and takes great photos of the whole process. It's definitely worth checking out. The post can take a long time to download due to all the photos in it, so you might need to be patient.[quote][/quote]

Can anyone find this DIY thread? I can't. Forum doesn't let you search for anything older than a year, as far as I can tell.

Edited by operaflute (10/03/13 11:21 PM)

#116757 - 10/03/13 11:32 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
I'm assuming you are referring to removing tires from rims. Not removing wheels from bike.

Everyone has their theories and methods. I'll provide some tips we use to change tires. Something we've done often over the years.

Front tire is easier than the rear. What helps is warming the rubber so it's most pliable. Rims have the smallest diameter in the center (away from bead). Make sure to push the bead you're working on into the "groove". Make sure all the air is out of the tube. An obvious conclusion. A good grade of tire irons (spoons) is required to get the leverage needed to pry the bead out, up and over the rim. The first few inches is the toughest. Please no dirty comments.

For old tires that are going to be tossed, WD40 can be used as a bead lubricant. Softens rubber slightly and allows it to slide over metal more easily.

It's the same process for the rear tire but more difficult owing to more rubber and smaller rim (18" versus 21"). You also need to get the bead lock loose. One of the biggest PITA is getting the valve stem back through the rim when installing the new rubber. I put this through first then fit the cavity of the tire around the tube. Care must be used to avoid pinching the tube or damaging it with a tire iron. Tuck the tube inside the tire and work it on the rim.

Out of all the tips I can provide, heating up the rubber and lubricating the bead are the most important. I use 3 tire irons. Make sure they provide adequate leverage. Having a second pair of hands helps but isn't required. Work on a tabletop surface for easy access. For lubricants on new tires, use very soapy water or KY jelly. You can use 2 4" C-clamps to compress the tire so it stays in the rim groove whilst you work the tire over the rim.

Changing tires requires a certain sensitivity to mechanical things, frictions and forces. It takes a bit of practice and patience. Personally I hate the job and would gladly pay the $15 to have it done. Most times we're just not in places where these services are available. Doing the work yourself also means you know exactly what was done. Not being pressured by an hourly shop schedule means you can take your time. Others will chime in with their experience and what works. Hopefully the aggregation helps avoid aggravation. Good luck.

#116760 - 10/04/13 01:07 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: Muniac]
deodom Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Bryson City, NC
Operaflute,
Here is one I had bookmarked off this forum. I will try and find the video also.
http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=3400&Number=26376
Doug
ps: video from lucas oil:
http://motocross.transworld.net/1000120978/news/how-to-change-your-tire/

#116761 - 10/04/13 01:19 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: Muniac]
patuca Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: Cranbrook BC Canada

#116768 - 10/04/13 05:00 AM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: patuca]
operaflute Offline
Member L1

OOh, thanks for link.

The Beau finally got it off, which is good, I guess, except I haven't mastered the skill. Harrumph.
I did learn:
1) the tire irons I was using were making things more difficult - a different pair got me more progress (but by then, honestly, I was just too frustrated
2) It was the rear I was working on. Should try front first!
3) No amount of effort allowed me to "push the bead into the groove." I understood this needed to happen to make it easier, but I simply can not push it in there. I didn't warm the tire though - perhaps with a hefty dose of our desert sunshine I might stand a chance, I don't know.

I really would like to master this BEFORE I find myself in the field with a flat.

#116781 - 10/04/13 02:20 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
+1 to everything Muniac said.

Leaving the wheels and tires out to warm in the sun for a couple hours makes a big difference.

Lube... lots of lube.

3 spoons, 3 hands, and having done it a few times makes it a lot easier.

#116791 - 10/04/13 04:01 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: peejman]
Ben Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Anglesey Wales
you are spelling it wrong, they are tyres

#116792 - 10/04/13 04:14 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: Ben]
operaflute Offline
Member L1

That explains everything!!

Originally Posted By: Ben
you are spelling it wrong, they are tyres

#116797 - 10/04/13 05:32 PM Re: Operaflute tire change? (stop laughing) [Re: operaflute]
Tigersaw Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: South UK
Originally Posted By: operaflute

3) No amount of effort allowed me to "push the bead into the groove."

I just kneel on the opposite side to the one I am working on to keep it in the groove.
I once tried pushing a wooden chock in to keep it depressed, it kind of worked but was a bad shape

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5717
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4217
peejman 3197
kris 2366
Paul49 1715
Doc250 1643