Fab Ads
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26376 - 10/08/07 03:42 AM How to change a rear tire inner tube on the trail
klm4755 Offline
Member L2

Loc: Auburn, Wa. few miles south of...
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to discuss tips, tricks, lessons learned from experiences in flat repairs. I attempted to swap the stock bridgestone tires for Kenda tires on my XT-225. Completed the front, however got stuck on the rear tire. Bad on this bad experience, I started a quest for knowledge. Unfortunatly, everyone has an opinion as to the “best way” to brake the bead, install a inner tube, remove the tire off the rim, best lube to use...... and so on. During my web searches I found what I consider to be the BEST “How to” video walk thru for tire changing. The 3 part video is taught by Doug Schopinsky from Bridgestone tires.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1215721,00.html

I also reviewed a How to DVD which had a few tips also.

description of topics

I bought a KLR650 rear wheel off e-bay ($200) to practice-practice-practice without thrashing my own stock rim/tire...first issue was to make sure I had the knowledge and tools. I gained the knowledge from the video link above the tools are in the following pictures:

6oz spray bottle, fill with windex to use as a bead lubricant agent. Trail size

tube valve cap has a brass valve stem core remover. A Plastic core removal tool may break (as has)

like so

good small quality trail size gage

make 2x pads...one for brake rotor to rest on...one for my knees

brake rotor size = 13 inches in diameter...to match the 320mm front brake rotor

cut into 1/4 size pieces for easy storage in panniers

epoxy attach velcro on edges

so you can make a circle out of the 1/4 pieces!

in stowed stacked position, along with tire irons, bead holder and bead breaker

wheel pad + knee pad shown. Knee pad is .75 in cut thermarest.

wheel on wheel pad, knee pad, and tools aready to go.

all trail tools fit in this bag

what I carry

+ my trail air pump and jumper cables

air pump and electrical jumper cables

shown here from afar

fits here in right pannier...

release the air out of the inner tube by removing (unthreading the valve stem core), loosen the valve stem retainer bolt

try to break the bead by stepping on it...To no avail with this one. Notice the wheel pad protects the rotor

mount the bead breaking tool

17mm socket, same size as your front wheel bolt!

tighten up till bead move in toward the wheel drop (the center), still no luck

loosen the tool and move it down a few inches, retighten

OK! Once it starts to drop, you can just push the rest of the tire into the rim drop

like so

lube the tire at the rim area

now for that knee pad usage

press down and get the sidewall into the drop, brake rotor is protected by the wheel pad

first bit with iron

while holding first iron, take second bite, use knees(both) to keep tire in wheel drop!

now the tire will come over the rim easy. No fighting now

side wall of tire is outside of rim now

push valve stem thru

pull inner tube out

tube out...now for the best trick from the Bridgestone guy!

plug the air pump from your KLR’s auxiliary SAE outlet

fill with air till it takes a firm shape

drape over finger too much air

just right, finger should be positioned ½ up the tube...No need to remove the valve stem core on the replaced tire!

ready for install...note you can add powder to the tube at this position, make sure blue band of tire faces up

start at valve stem. see blue band.

push in with fingers...goes in easy when partial filled with air

valve stem aligned with rim hole

BIG tip here: goto opposite side of wheel here where valve stem hole is shown. Lift side wall with tire iron

like so...Just guide the valve stem in hole...It is that easy! The tire iron does and the partially filled tire does all the work. No more busted knuckles! Just like in the video! It works!

thread nut on stem abit

picture shows the drop of the rim

lift side wall and check that you can see the blue band all the way around the tire

spray some windex

small bites with tire irons here

use a bead holder to help...like having another pair of hands

work around the tire

1/3 of tire on

2/3 of tire on

relube for the last bit

one last pull....note my knees are pushing the sidewall into the rim drop (from the opposite end and sides)

tire on!

add air...check for leaks, pinched tubes......no issues with this install

tire pump consumes~ 7 amps ~85 watts

tools put away
My lessons learned
1. Worth it to me to buy a practice wheel
2. Right tools help.
3. Video on web layed the technique path
4. Use windex as a lube fill a small 6 oz spray container
5. Fill the tube with some air..no need to “fish” the stem
6. Make a pad to protect your wheels rotor
7. Use lots of lube
8. Check the tire blue markings to make sure no binings.
9. I have practiced 4x times now and feel proficient in a trail/road fix
Keithm

#26378 - 10/08/07 05:54 AM Re: How to change a rear tire inner tube on the trail [Re: klm4755]
Ben Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Anglesey Wales
Excellent, really well done, where can you get the bead breaker and bead holders in the uk if possible?
Cheers Ben

#26381 - 10/08/07 10:34 AM Re: How to change a rear tire inner tube on the tr [Re: Ben]
2007_XT225 Offline

Loc: OK, USA
Nice post.
Good info for a newbie bike owner like myself.

thanks Keith.

2007 Yamaha XT225
- Condotta's Cargo Rack
- AFAM 16T CS Sprocket

#26391 - 10/08/07 02:50 PM Re: How to change a rear tire inner tube on the trail [Re: Ben]
klm4755 Offline
Member L2

Originally Posted By: Ben
Excellent, really well done, where can you get the bead breaker and bead holders in the uk if possible?
Cheers Ben

Ben,
The bead breaker can be seen here:
http://happy-trail.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=HTP-TBB-1
I searched my reciepts for the vendor of these small bead holders, but could not find the distributor. I'll look tonight to see if there are any markings on them for clues on there supplier.

#26400 - 10/08/07 08:50 PM Re: How to change a rear tire inner tube on the trail [Re: klm4755]
Wade Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NW Florida
Keith excellent step by step tire change instructions and great photos.

And to add to the thread fun \:\) ... Harbor Freight currently has their Central Machinery small tire changer on sale. Here is a 4Strokes.com review. They gave it a 4 out of 5. Looks like it wouldn't take up much room in the garage. The tire changer is currently $49.95 with the motorcycle tire attachment another $49.95. Seems like a good investment.

I picked up a 2 1/2" nail on the way home on my all dirt route the other day. I had probably gone 2-3 miles before I noticed it. I thought I was in soft sand, which there is a good bit on the dirt roads going home. So when I figured out I had a flat I was still 4 miles from home. So I limped on home at about 30 mph. Little slower once I got to the 1/4 mile asphalt section. Rode on the shoulder. Got home ok. The 6 ply sidewalls make this possible.

Anyway the point of all this was the back tire was a real pain to get off. I don't remember having this much trouble 30 years ago (I think the 6 ply sidewalls cause this). Plus I couldn't find my tire spoons. Haven't seen them in 6-8 years. So I ordered some from the NAPA dealer. When the spoons got here I popped the tire off on the weekend.

Of course the tube was toast, not suitable for fixing. So I already had a Kenda tire shipping to me from Bikebandit.com. Got the tire but the tube and some other stuff is coming real slow. I think I will head up to Dothan and pick up a tube from one of the bike dealers. That will become my backup tube for the tool kit.

I'm thinking seriously of adding this to my shop tools.

Wade in NW Florida

Have an '06 XT225. Got it for gas and to keep miles off the new Tundra. Been riding since 14. Last enduro bike was a HD Sprint back in the early 70's. Didn't realize how much I missed the trail riding. Got a '89 Kawa KX500 recently to play with too.

#26406 - 10/09/07 01:52 AM Re: How to change a rear tire inner tube on the trail [Re: Wade]
slomo Offline

Loc: IA
Hi Keith:
I was just visiting Auburn,WA a few weeks ago - was running around the Seattle/Portland area on vacation, it's a beautifull part of the country over there.
Anyway, wanted to let you know I use strips of plastic milk jugs as rim protectors - Just cut up a used bottle into 4" strips, I like to make my strips from the corners, so that there is a natural curve to them. These pack real light & tight, and prevent your rims from being scratched by the tire irons. Helps recycle plastic out of the landfill too.

tm

#26429 - 10/09/07 06:43 PM Re: How to change a rear tire inner tube on the trail [Re: slomo]
klm4755 Offline
Member L2

Do you have a picture of the rim protectors in usage?
Keith

#26442 - 10/10/07 12:35 AM Re: How to change a rear tire inner tube on the trail [Re: klm4755]
kmccarthy Offline
Member L2

Loc: Miami, FL
Great write up KLM! I recently changed the tires on my DRZ400 by following that video. It wasn't quite as easy as the video, but pretty close. I highly recommend using rim protectors, unless you dont care about your rims. This set from Motion Pro was cheap and worked great. I also used something called a "Bead Buddy" to hold the bead.

Does anyone have any tips for removing the wheels (front and rear) out on the trail (for bikes without a center stand). Do you just lay the bike down on its side or are there clever ways to prop it up? I hate putting the bike on its side because gas always seems to leak from the tank.

Edited by kmccarthy (10/10/07 12:45 AM)

#26444 - 10/10/07 02:16 AM Re: How to change a rear tire inner tube on the trail [Re: kmccarthy]
JoeXT225 Offline
Member L3

Loc: Eastern Massachusetts
Nice job Keith. I wish I had this resource before I changed my tires. You certainly prepare well and get the right tools for the job. Having the right tools and technical knowledge are always key to making the job easier. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with us.

JoeXT225
2004 XT225,Pro Moto Billet Aluminum Tail Rack W/ Chicane "Canyon" 19 l. bag, 16 LED aux. Brake Light, Kenda 761 tires, 12-volt power outlet, Fender Mounted Wolo "Loud One" Horn Upgrade, handle bar video camera /accessory mount, handle bar mounted watch, thermometer and compass. Garmin Nuvi GPS can be mounted in place of camera and powered using 12-volt outlet.

#26540 - 10/14/07 09:29 PM Re: How to change a rear tire inner tube on the trail [Re: klm4755]
slomo Offline

Loc: IA
Hi Keith:
You can see some pictures here...
http://picasaweb.google.com/mo.pixs/RimProtectors

tm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5801
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4286
peejman 3273
kris 2366
Paul49 1736
Doc250 1643