Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Banana attack #150585 02/23/21 11:41 PM
peejman Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
So a banana peel almost got me on my way home from work today. I was coming up to an intersection and saw the banana peel in the road. Good ole target fixation got me and instead of going to either side, I ran right over it while slowing for the stop sign.

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]

Of course, my front tire locked the instant I hit the banana peel and slid a foot or two before I released the brake. No real risk of falling, mostly just feeling dumb. laugh My front tire also slid a little as I turned and the peel that was stuck in the knobs hit the pavement. I guess I can't complain much on a sunny 60 deg day in February.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Banana attack [Re: peejman] #150590 02/24/21 01:34 PM
P
PackedPunches Offline
P
That's crazy, I would have never thought a banana peel could cause a wipeout. I'll be sure to avoid them if I ever see one.

Glad you didn't eat it, stay safe. smile

Re: Banana attack [Re: peejman] #150593 02/24/21 03:51 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Glad you didn't wipe out. It's always amazing how vulnerable we are on two wheels. Many years ago (high school age) my friend had a Triumph 650 and went completely down on an oil slick in the road next to my house. Not sure how the spill happened and perhaps it was diesel fuel. Either turns blacktop into instant ice. He was traveling at 25 MPH, got skinned up and ground some metal off his belt buckle. It could have been much worse. When I took my motorcycle safety course the instructor told us ALL ACCIDENTS ARE YOUR FAULT! I never forgot that and it may have saved my life.

The driver safety instructor told our class (another session), controlled intersections are statically most dangerous 4 seconds following a change of state. That pearl of wisdom has come in handy many times. Delayed traffic signals are actually more dangerous given drivers know they have extra time and run red lights more. A green light doesn't mean go either. It means you have the right to proceed if the intersection is clear. Ride safely.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Banana attack [Re: peejman] #150596 02/24/21 06:59 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by peejman
..So a banana peel almost got me on my way home from work today.....

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com].....

Glad you weren't hurt. You never know what's going to come at you on a bike. About the time you think you've got a lock on things - you find, like 'Bugs' and his slip and slide banana peel routine, you actually don't. Be save out there Peejman!..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: Banana attack [Re: peejman] #150602 02/25/21 04:36 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Gravel will do the same thing. My former supervisor was a Goldwing rider with decades and probably a couple million miles of experience. He went down in a blind curve after hitting a patch of gravel he couldn't see until it was too late. He slammed into a steel guard rail and broke his back. That was about 4 years ago. He is in a wheelchair, permanently paralyzed from the waist down. He had recently retired early and was planning on spending the next several years riding.

They use some super slippery stuff here to patch cracks in the road. I almost went down a couple of times riding through the Salt River Canyon because of that stuff a long time ago. They still use it.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: Banana attack [Re: JerryH] #150603 02/25/21 12:48 PM
peejman Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Muniac
Glad you didn't wipe out. It's always amazing how vulnerable we are on two wheels. Many years ago (high school age) my friend had a Triumph 650 and went completely down on an oil slick in the road next to my house. Not sure how the spill happened and perhaps it was diesel fuel. Either turns blacktop into instant ice. He was traveling at 25 MPH, got skinned up and ground some metal off his belt buckle. It could have been much worse. When I took my motorcycle safety course the instructor told us ALL ACCIDENTS ARE YOUR FAULT! I never forgot that and it may have saved my life.

The driver safety instructor told our class (another session), controlled intersections are statically most dangerous 4 seconds following a change of state. That pearl of wisdom has come in handy many times. Delayed traffic signals are actually more dangerous given drivers know they have extra time and run red lights more. A green light doesn't mean go either. It means you have the right to proceed if the intersection is clear. Ride safely.

A friend of mine went down (essentially fell over) when he put his foot down in some oil at an intersection. I was behind him in a car and watched it happen. I've slipped a time or two but haven't fallen because of that (yet). Intersections are always slippery.

My MSF instructor told us the same thing. I've found a lot of riders have a hard time swallowing the idea that everything that goes wrong is your fault.

Originally Posted by JerryH
Gravel will do the same thing. My former supervisor was a Goldwing rider with decades and probably a couple million miles of experience. He went down in a blind curve after hitting a patch of gravel he couldn't see until it was too late. He slammed into a steel guard rail and broke his back. That was about 4 years ago. He is in a wheelchair, permanently paralyzed from the waist down. He had recently retired early and was planning on spending the next several years riding.

They use some super slippery stuff here to patch cracks in the road. I almost went down a couple of times riding through the Salt River Canyon because of that stuff a long time ago. They still use it.

That really stinks for your friend. You never know what's lurking around the next corner so it's best to leave some in reserve. Sometimes even that won't help. I had some exciting encounters with gravel in corners when I had my CBR. It'll get your attention for sure. The 2nd time that bike ended up on its side was because of gravel. I stopped on the side of the road and my foot hit some pea gravel I didn't see. My foot slipped and leaned the bike enough that I couldn't hold it up with one leg. I managed to get the kill switch with my thumb as I laid it down as gently as I could. I cussed the gravel, picked the bike back up, and rode on. It left some minor scratches on the otherwise pristine plastic.

2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Banana attack [Re: peejman] #150606 02/25/21 03:43 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out here we call it scree. It's presents a different riding dynamic. If you ride a lot, sooner or later you'll encounter a sudden change in traction. With unknown implications for the rider. As for traction well below tire grab, I always enjoy seeing the flat track riders use this to their advantage. Road crews here always post signs the say, "Motorcycles Use Extreme Caution" ahead of any road conditions that pose hazards.

JerryH - That's horrible about your friend. Fear of a serious accident is one of the reasons we no longer ride. I'm perfectly content to enjoy the memories of the places we explored via our photos and videos. Jeannie and I look at one another and wonder how we're both still alive! All the best to your friend.

Ride safely.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Banana attack [Re: peejman] #150617 02/26/21 12:52 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I understand your reason for no longer riding. But riding has been my one true passion in life, which probably started when I got my first sidewalk bicycle with training wheels. Got my first dirt bike at age 8. I have a number of other hobbies, but nothing that would come close to motorcycle riding.

I have also been a drag racer all my life (cars) but had to give that up a couple years ago. I always built my own race cars, and the last one has a manual transmission and clutch. Because of my leg problems, I was no longer able to control the clutch off the line. I still have the car, and drive it around once in a while. It is semi street legal. Not emissions legal in my county, but I have it registered to a friends address in a non emissions county.

I'm going to keep riding as long as I feel I can, then I plan to get or build a trike. I have a Harley Sportster 1200, and you can get trike kits for those. As for off road, I had a quad once, didn't like it and wound up selling it. But I could still ride a dual sport bike back then. When that becomes impossible, I will likely go back to a quad. Nothing beats 2 wheels, but at least a trike and quad keep you out in the open.

I really have no idea how I'm still alive (for other reasons besides riding) but I intend to get what I can out of what I have left. I've known people who didn't last very long because they no longer had anything to live for. I have a grandson on the way and hope to be around long enough to get him into riding. I'm hoping to get him started in BMX, and get into dirt bikes from there. Of course that will be up to his parents.

Re: Banana attack [Re: JerryH] #150625 02/26/21 06:30 PM
peejman Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by JerryH
I understand your reason for no longer riding. But riding has been my one true passion in life, which probably started when I got my first sidewalk bicycle with training wheels. Got my first dirt bike at age 8. I have a number of other hobbies, but nothing that would come close to motorcycle riding.

I have also been a drag racer all my life (cars) but had to give that up a couple years ago. I always built my own race cars, and the last one has a manual transmission and clutch. Because of my leg problems, I was no longer able to control the clutch off the line. I still have the car, and drive it around once in a while. It is semi street legal. Not emissions legal in my county, but I have it registered to a friends address in a non emissions county.

I'm going to keep riding as long as I feel I can, then I plan to get or build a trike. I have a Harley Sportster 1200, and you can get trike kits for those. As for off road, I had a quad once, didn't like it and wound up selling it. But I could still ride a dual sport bike back then. When that becomes impossible, I will likely go back to a quad. Nothing beats 2 wheels, but at least a trike and quad keep you out in the open.

I really have no idea how I'm still alive (for other reasons besides riding) but I intend to get what I can out of what I have left. I've known people who didn't last very long because they no longer had anything to live for. I have a grandson on the way and hope to be around long enough to get him into riding. I'm hoping to get him started in BMX, and get into dirt bikes from there. Of course that will be up to his parents.

Drag car.... do tell. smile

Re: Banana attack [Re: peejman] #150632 02/27/21 12:20 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Well actually it's a truck. 1993 S-10. 383ci carbureted V8 built using a stock 1972 GM block, ProMaxx heads, Comp cam duration 279/297, lift .479/.465 mostly everything but the block is aftermarket. 5 speed Tremec, 3:88 Posi gears. Runs in the high tens on drag radials. I built everything but the transmission and rear end. I don't work on gears. That's a specialized field I never got into. I now wish I had used an auto trans with manual valve bodies.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by JerryH; 02/27/21 12:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,181
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,860
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 3,726
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,938
JerryH 1,842
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics