Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: JerryH] #150396 02/10/21 01:48 AM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JerryH
..I would not trust such a stand. Not even for cleaning/lubing the chain..

The couple of times I've used it it's been rock solid, Jerry. With the front wheel 'up' it's on three support points, the kickstand, the 'QuickStand' and the in-gear rear tire. With the back wheel 'up' it's on three support points, kickstand, 'QuickStand' and brake locked front tire. Haven't sensed any insecurity in it either way, and I've 'pushed it' a bit to make sure.

If I were servicing the bike at home and needed both wheels off the ground I'd use my hydraulic motorcycle lift. But as you say if you're not at home and you need to lift a wheel the hydraulic lift is out of the picture, which means the 'QuickStand' can fill an important role in such an event..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: JerryH] #150400 02/10/21 02:47 PM
W
wleung Offline OP
OP Offline
W
... I bolted a milk crate to the Immix Racing luggage rack ...

The milk crate seems to be quite a common choice as a stand. Over hear in Oz we use it to defend against knife attacks as well :P

Yeah centre-stands are nice. There was one unfortunate time where I remember having issues with it on the 220kg DL650 on my polished concrete floor. I couldn't rock it off again laugh. Fine to use everywhere else.

That said, there probably won't be a centre-stand available off-the-shelf in Australia - so I think the low-height lift stand is still my best bet.

(I think I'm going to have the most boring bike stand out of everyone here)

CB250, GS500F, DL650, Espresso 150, ST 675, ZZR250, CB900F, CBR125R, Fly 150ie, CBR600F4I, XT225
Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: wleung] #150401 02/10/21 03:33 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wleung
.....I bolted a milk crate to the Immix Racing luggage rack ...

The milk crate seems to be quite a common choice as a stand. Over hear in Oz we use it to defend against knife attacks as well :P.....

Oz uses 'milk crates' to defend against knife attacks?!!.. ABSOLUTELY!!! ...Check it out. Brave citizens subdue and disarm a man on a stabbing rampage in Sydney using a milk crate and a chair: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/13/sydney-stabbing-video-bystanders-chair-milk-crate/ ..Ya gotta love our Aussie friends!..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: wleung] #150402 02/10/21 04:37 PM
S
skypupbob Offline
Member L1
Member L1
S
You guys with your fancy stands!
I use a stick! Yes a plane old stick. Just the right length to fit under the swingarm.
I have used it in the garage and out on the tail. With the back wheel off and velcro around the front brake lever it is extremely stable.
If I ever have to take the front wheel off ,then I put it up on the work stand. Out on the trail if I have a flat front I break the right side of the tire and pull the tube out with the wheel still on. Find the hole and patch it, stuff the tube in and inflate.
A buddy showed me that trick a couple of years ago when he had a flat front. SOOOO much easier than pulling the wheel.

Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: wleung] #150404 02/10/21 05:11 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
For trail-side repairs, I just let the bike take a little dirt nap while I work. No risk of it falling over that way. Just make sure it's on the "nut" side and not the "bolt" side as it's hard to get the axle out otherwise.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: skypupbob] #150405 02/10/21 05:15 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by skypupbob
...You guys with your fancy stands! I use a stick! Yes a plane old stick. Just the right length to fit under the swingarm......

The sawed off fully adjustable business end of a $5 aluminum crutch is simply a DIY upgrade to the "plain old stick" idea, Bob.

After searching the desert to find a suitable stick while on the trail one day, to lift the rear wheel and fix a minor problem, ..an old set of crutches in my garage, items that I'd purchased at a thrift store, caught my eye. The collapsible ends of the crutches resonated with me, and the DIY "QuickStand" was born.

Online you can buy expensive machine produced variations of the sawed of crutch idea. And that's what some riders opt to do. But you can achieve the same result for virtually nothing out of pocket with the "QuickStand", plus it's strong, light weight, and collapsible - so why wouldn't you?! No one's gonna laugh at you for being prepared, especially it they're not!..

Hey, the "plain old stick" solution works, if you can find just the right stick right when you need it! If after a long search you don't find the right stick, ..you'll wish you had something along with you like the "QuickStand" sawed of crutch end!..

Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: wleung] #150406 02/10/21 05:19 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Didn't realize it was your stand George. But I still would not trust any stand that was not bolted solidly to the bike, or something big like a milk crate or dirt bike stand that the bike was sitting securely upright on. Stands like this will also work [Linked Image from motodracing.com] But you can't take something like that with you.

On advrider.com they tend to use prop rods like this http://www.endurostar.com/ I would not trust something like that either. One little bump could send the bike crashing to the ground. One guy said he carries a small folding saw to cut off a tree limb to hold the bike up to fix a flat tire. With something like that even a small gust of wind could blow the bike over. In my condition it would likely take me quite some time (probably a few hours) to fix a flat tire, and I would want the bike solidly supported while I worked on it.

A stand doesn't have to be fancy. I can't think of anything less fancy than a milk crate. But for me they do have to be secure. And either having a bolt on centerstand like the Cigar Mike stand, which is the most convenient, or something large like a milk crate, that can be carried on the bike are the only things I would use out on the road or trail. There are all kinds of cool jacks and lifts you can get to use at home, but you can't take them with you, so they are worthless when you have a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere. I have used a scissors jack under the swing arm at home before to get the rear wheel just far enough off the floor to lube the chain, but I was a bit uneasy with it. I can't imagine actually removing a wheel that way.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: wleung] #150407 02/10/21 05:29 PM
S
skypupbob Offline
Member L1
Member L1
S
My stick, that's just the right length, lives in the tail bag, always with the bike.

Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: JerryH] #150409 02/10/21 06:00 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

...Didn't realize it was your stand George. But I still would not trust any stand that was not bolted solidly to the bike, or something big like a milk crate or dirt bike stand that the bike was sitting securely upright on........

Not my stand, Jerry. Simply a variation on the 'right stick' at the 'right time' theme! ..And I understand your discomfort working on a bike that's not as solidly supported with a wheel in the air as you feel necessary. No argument there.

It comes down to we all make our own calls, which is how things work! A stick, a milk crate, a hydraulic lift, a sawed off aluminum crutch or laying your bike on its side - whatever works for each rider is what works best..

Re: Anyone used these adjustable lift stands on XT225? [Re: wleung] #150413 02/10/21 08:47 PM
P
ptxyz Offline
P
outside the u.s., i'd search locally for "quick jack". here's one in the states;

https://www.eaglemike.com/Quick-Jack-qj.htm

good idea to bungee the front brake or put the bike in gear while using.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 20 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,181
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,860
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 3,726
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,938
JerryH 1,842
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics