Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Verizon Flip Phones #148957 09/09/20 11:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,106
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
*****
OP Offline
Platinum Member
*****
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,106
Communications are important. Some ride where there are cell phone towers and could use their phone to stay in touch. It seems there is a niche market for durable flip phones used in the construction industry or other rough service applications. Kyocera makes the DuraXV Extreme just for that market. This is a basic flip phone with amazing features. Verizon has the most (and best) tower coverage and we've been a customer for about 17 years.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Retired old Motorola flip phone which worked for 17 years!

It turns out Verizon is dropping the protocol for our old phones. Which prompted a search for a replacement. Neither of us needs or wants a fancy smart phone for $1000 with an expensive data plan. A smart phone would likely break given our abuse factor. So we purchased the Kyocera DuraXV Extreme.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Kyocera DuraXV Extreme ($240) or $10/mth for 24 months.

The DuraXV Extreme has been a great phone for us flippies. I'd give this phone high marks for those wanting durable, affordable and basic phone service. Read the User Manual for all the details. Some of the features are voice commands, camera, flashlight, WiFi hot spot, music player, ringtones and a host of other goodies you wouldn't expect in a basic phone.

The phone is a small brick (6.3 ozs) with a strong metal chassis and a good hinge. It uses the newer 4G lte protocol which should be good for a while. Verizon offers a single basic phone plan for $30/mth with unlimited minutes and text. Add another $10/mth for the phone which runs out 24 months. You can purchase a fancier data plan if required. We're both very happy with these phones. These can be ordered from the online Verizon store as an upgrade if you're already a Verizon customer. Activation is $20/phone and they arrived in 2 days with the SIMM card already programmed and installed. Online activation is 1/2 what they charge in a Verizon physical store. When you get the phones you complete the activation online. It all was a pleasant shopping experience.


Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Verizon Flip Phones [Re: Muniac] #148959 09/10/20 01:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,550
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
*****
Offline
Platinum Member
*****
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,550
Interesting. I'm surprised there's cell service where you guys ride/hike/ski. There's no service in the mountains here. Which can be entertaining when you encounter a vehicle that's following their phone's GPS when signal ended 20 miles back. They have no idea that it's just guessing.


This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Verizon Flip Phones [Re: peejman] #148962 09/10/20 03:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 257
D
Deserteagle56 Offline
Member L2
*****
Offline
Member L2
*****
D
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by peejman
Interesting. I'm surprised there's cell service where you guys ride/hike/ski. There's no service in the mountains here. Which can be entertaining when you encounter a vehicle that's following their phone's GPS when signal ended 20 miles back. They have no idea that it's just guessing.


Cell phones (at least, all the newest smart phones) DO NOT need cell signals to serve as a GPS unit because they have GPS circuitry built in, same as any standalone GPS unit. From my reading on the ADV forums, that's what most bikers are using now along with any number of GPS apps. All that's required is to download your choice of maps. The Kyocera Duraforce is a very popular choice - most guys carry a regular phone for communications, and another cell phone, with no SIMM card or plan, for GPS use.

I tried that route but didn't like it. Too much hassle. My Montana has always done everything I want - it's simple to use and has all the maps I need already loaded.


Worshipper of sun and wild country.
Re: Verizon Flip Phones [Re: Muniac] #148963 09/10/20 03:50 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 257
D
Deserteagle56 Offline
Member L2
*****
Offline
Member L2
*****
D
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 257
[quote=Muniac]Communications are important. Some ride where there are cell phone towers and could use their phone to stay in touch. It seems there is a niche market for durable flip phones used in the construction industry or other rough service applications. Kyocera makes the DuraXV Extreme just for that market. This is a basic flip phone with amazing features. Verizon has the most (and best) tower coverage and we've been a customer for about 17 years.

Retired old Motorola flip phone which worked for 17 years!
quote]

I also had one of those Motorola flip phones for years. Didn't use it much but one day when I needed it, it would not work. So I took it back to the phone store. They laughed at me. Said it was an analog phone and all the towers were now digital only so my phone was worthless. Had to get a new one.

One of the first things I found was that the range of the new digital phone was much less than analog so in the outback it was not able to get a signal in places the analog phone had no problem. Also - with my old Motorola I was able to unscrew the antenna and connect a standalone magnetic mount tall antenna that, attached to the roof of my van, was REALLY able to get out. Sadly, it appears none of the new cell phones allow you to attach a remote antenna like that.

Also agree as far as Verizon cell coverage. I tried several different suppliers before finally settling on Verizon because out in remote Nevada, often Verizon was the only carrier available.

Last edited by Deserteagle56; 09/10/20 03:52 PM.

Worshipper of sun and wild country.
Re: Verizon Flip Phones [Re: Deserteagle56] #148964 09/10/20 03:53 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,622
Az4x4 Online Content
Platinum Member
*****
Online Content
Platinum Member
*****
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,622

My older Garmin GPS units do everything I need them to. Like your Montana they're always reliable. Sometimes I use Google Maps if we're traveling in range of cell towers, but the Garmin GPS units are always reliable..


The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: Verizon Flip Phones [Re: Deserteagle56] #148965 09/10/20 08:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,550
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
*****
Offline
Platinum Member
*****
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,550
Originally Posted by Deserteagle56
Cell phones (at least, all the newest smart phones) DO NOT need cell signals to serve as a GPS unit because they have GPS circuitry built in, same as any standalone GPS unit. From my reading on the ADV forums, that's what most bikers are using now along with any number of GPS apps. All that's required is to download your choice of maps. The Kyocera Duraforce is a very popular choice - most guys carry a regular phone for communications, and another cell phone, with no SIMM card or plan, for GPS use.

I tried that route but didn't like it. Too much hassle. My Montana has always done everything I want - it's simple to use and has all the maps I need already loaded.


The problem is the phone won't tell you when its just guessing. GPS signal is poor at best in the hollers between the mountains. It's not uncommon for them to be off by a mile (literally). I'm old fashioned and carry paper maps when I'm back in the hills. NatGeo makes great trail maps. https://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/trails-illustrated-maps



Last edited by peejman; 09/10/20 08:35 PM.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Verizon Flip Phones [Re: Muniac] #148966 09/10/20 11:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,106
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
*****
OP Offline
Platinum Member
*****
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,106
We have a Garmin GPS unit CSX60 which works fine and partners with our old MapSource software. It does everything we need. As for the mountains, we have a satellite phone which will make a phone call anywhere in the world. Slot canyons might be an exception if the phone can't see the sky.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Little Wild Horse Canyon - Hanksville, UT.
Had to climb up to let other hikers pass. It's that narrow.


Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Verizon Flip Phones [Re: Deserteagle56] #148968 09/11/20 12:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 43
W
Woods Walker Offline
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
W
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by Deserteagle56
[quote=Muniac]Communications are important. Some ride where there are cell phone towers and could use their phone to stay in touch. It seems there is a niche market for durable flip phones used in the construction industry or other rough service applications. Kyocera makes the DuraXV Extreme just for that market. This is a basic flip phone with amazing features. Verizon has the most (and best) tower coverage and we've been a customer for about 17 years.

Retired old Motorola flip phone which worked for 17 years!
quote]

I also had one of those Motorola flip phones for years. Didn't use it much but one day when I needed it, it would not work. So I took it back to the phone store. They laughed at me. Said it was an analog phone and all the towers were now digital only so my phone was worthless. Had to get a new one.

One of the first things I found was that the range of the new digital phone was much less than analog so in the outback it was not able to get a signal in places the analog phone had no problem. Also - with my old Motorola I was able to unscrew the antenna and connect a standalone magnetic mount tall antenna that, attached to the roof of my van, was REALLY able to get out. Sadly, it appears none of the new cell phones allow you to attach a remote antenna like that.

Also agree as far as Verizon cell coverage. I tried several different suppliers before finally settling on Verizon because out in remote Nevada, often Verizon was the only carrier available.


You can get a signal repeater with an antenna. It receives the signal and relay's it to your smart phone. I don't know what they cost though.

It's funny that you guys like Verizon. We had Verizon years ago and it really sucked here in southeastern PA. Had to go out side to get a decent signal and that was with a Motorola flip phone that I still have. I have all my past phones.....don't know why LOL. We went to Metro PCS before they merged with T-Mobile and never looked back. I've had a decent signal when others right next to me with AT&T and Verizon couldn't get enough signal for a call. Maybe it's the areas that the different Cell companies are stronger in ?? Could be the quality of each particular phone too. Mine is a Sony. It's worked great for years. 4G of course.

Last edited by Woods Walker; 09/11/20 12:50 AM.
Re: Verizon Flip Phones [Re: Muniac] #148969 09/11/20 12:55 AM
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 43
W
Woods Walker Offline
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
W
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 43
Great picture Scott ! A satellite phone is the ticket alright. I looked into it years ago but the service was prohibitively expensive.

Re: Verizon Flip Phones [Re: Muniac] #148970 09/11/20 03:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,106
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
*****
OP Offline
Platinum Member
*****
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,106
Yes a satellite phone is expensive. We're in remote areas constantly with no hopes of any cell tower signals. Peace of mind, I guess. Colorado also has a rescue service (helicopter) if you get stranded. Their card is $12 for 5 years which is a donation. Vehicle rescue is available through local towering services. When we were traveling, Verizon consistently performed well in many states. Like all cell tower grids, I'd imagine any provider has dead spots. Glad you enjoyed the photo. Be safe out there.


Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google
 
Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,106
alexd 5,915
Moto Psycho 4,684
Az4x4 4,622
peejman 3,550
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,880
Doc250 1,643
JerryH 1,593
Forum Statistics
Forums38
Topics16,247
Posts145,638
Members5,546
Most Online279
Dec 6th, 2019
Newest Members
Jarrod Weaver, Afromage, JayGee, RhodyRomes, alice
5546 Registered Users
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3