Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148005 05/18/20 06:23 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
It's called herd immunity and will certainly be a part of our comeback. Flu seasons come and go every year with death tolls. Never to marginalize the loss of a human life, but death is something we're all going to face at some point. Same is true for viral infections. When your ticket is punched, it's game over and that's final.

I think opening things up, restoring business activity and getting people's lives back to normal is a priority now. Yes be diligent, stay clean, wear a mask and stay home if you want. If you are sick, self quarantine for 14 days. I have a friend that's sick right now on day 7. She's taken a test and waiting for results. Has run a fever, coughing, aches, weak, etc. But nothing serious. Test results should be available within a couple more days.

Thanks for the update. Keep your spirits up and stay healthy.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Paul49] #148019 05/19/20 12:50 AM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Paul49
.....while all the town & city folk head off into the countryside or coastal resorts, the local people are up in arms frightened they are being invaded with the virus.....

It's a worry when a rural area that's had no cases of the virus to speak of suddenly finds itself overrun with city folk thinking they'll 'escape' their shut in existence by spending days and weekends in these same rural areas. That's much the same as we're experiencing here. Not sure if those of us who live in the high country are "up in arms" just yet, at least not in a way that spells trouble. But are we worried? - Yes.

Hoards of people crawling out of the woodwork down in the Valley and heading to the hills to 'blow off steam' will inevitably see the virus hit our area, and that's a real concern. Hope this 'herd immunity' thing takes hold sooner rather than later, for all our sakes.

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148022 05/19/20 11:38 AM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
These viruses don't ever really go away, vaccine or not. The fairly recent outbreaks of measles and such in the "anti-vax" crowd have proven that.

We went for a short hike along the river this past weekend and it looked like any normal summer weekend. Parking lots were full, trails were busy, and there were lots of people on/in the water. All the usual tourist spots were packed with people. The local news says active cases continue on a steady decline with no current hospitalizations. It's not even the top headline anymore.

Hopefully this will yield some good in that folks will pay a little more attention to simple hygiene, there will be less direct/indirect shaming for staying home when sick, and people with immune system deficiencies will take extra precautions.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148026 05/19/20 07:23 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Still pretty snowed in now but plowing is underway on our high country roads. Did a ski run yesterday into Silver Basin. 1000 feet of vertical in 1.25 miles @ 11k feet. Burns off a few calories. Didn't see a soul either. As for social distancing, can't do much better than being up in the mountains.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
5/18/2020 - Silver Basin @ 11.5K feet. T-shirt weather (58F) and great Spring conditions. At least 6' away. laugh

I'm expecting BIG crowds in our area this season. Pent up demand. And we too get an influx from the front range and out of state. I'm happy for local businesses that depend on the tourists. I don't much care for the crowds in areas we enjoy, however. They get mobbed and lose their enjoyment factor. That said we can still find hidden spots on off hours. Usually no one is there. Or do stuff that most people aren't interested in. It's all about reinventing your activities in creative ways.

As for the virus, it isn't the main problem now. The economy is and needs to get back going again. Everyday counts at this point. Unemployment numbers need to start coming down. Most people want to get their normal lives back to include working. Slowly I think this is happening. And all businesses are essential to a healthy economy. Sadly, as lock downs continue, many small businesses will go under making a walk down Main St. provide less "OPEN" signs in the store windows. CA is filling the skate parks with sand to keep the kids out. So the kids substituted their dirt bikes instead. And younger people are almost immune to the virus. Go figure. Regardless of your political beliefs, the economy knits us all together. Good economy means good for all. Americans have an indomitable spirit and the people won't be held hostage to little tin God state governments beyond reasonable limits. Protests and defiance are already going on. Even some of the police don't want to enforce laws they believe are unconstitutional. My read is the vast majority of states will prove opening up can be done safely. For those especially concerned or at risk. Stay home, wear a mask and wash often. Viral infections aren't going away anytime soon. I also doubt an effective vaccine is forth coming. Therapeutic treatments offer more optimism and effectiveness. Both avenues are in the works so we'll see what emerges. I think we're going to make it through this.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Muniac] #148028 05/19/20 08:12 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Muniac
.......Americans have an indomitable spirit and the people won't be held hostage to little tin God state governments beyond reasonable limits. Protests and defiance are already going on. Even some of the police don't want to enforce laws they believe are unconstitutional. My read is the vast majority of states will prove opening up can be done safely. For those especially concerned or at risk. Stay home, wear a mask and wash often. Viral infections aren't going away anytime soon. I also doubt an effective vaccine is forth coming. Therapeutic treatments offer more optimism and effectiveness. Both avenues are in the works so we'll see what emerges. I think we're going to make it through this..

In spite of the nay-sayers, we'll make it through this. What our 'new normal' will look like is still up for grabs, but if we can with simple momentum sweep a large portion of the timid and fearful along with us as we move towards brighter days, whether they want to be with us or not, we'll recover a great deal of what's been sacrificed to the draconian overreach that the 'chick littles' in positions of 'power' have sought to impose for a variety of reasons - not the least of them purely political..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148032 05/20/20 03:52 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Sadly, there is a lot of political posturing associated with responses to dealing with CV-19. I think every dark cloud has a silver lining. My hopes are the virus is a wake up call to be better prepared, more self sufficient, more attentive to hygiene and more aligned as a nation. I think we can get back to the recent "old days" if we work at it. Except for power hungry governments obstructing freedom, most in America want their lives, jobs and enjoyment back. Moving forward, those desires from that many people will prevail. Fingers crossed we can be well on our way through the 4th quarter making it Truly a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Yes more people will get sick and some will die. Per the CDC's statistics, annual death rates for the 10 most common causes in America are below:

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

If we see 100k deaths from CV-19 that comes in at 7th place. I also don't think causes of death are being reported accurately. Not making the distinction between dying from CV-19 or dying with CV-19. Some speculate that a person testing positive for CV-19 but dying from something else counts as a CV-19 death which makes virus numbers look higher than they really are. If we reach 100k, this is 0.027% of the population. Heart disease and cancer combined are about 1200% higher. One important distinction being heart disease and cancer aren't contagious. No doubt that's a game changer for how we will manage social interactions. We've learned a lot about this virus and are much better prepared now to deal with outbreaks. Also the hygiene practices that will slow its spread.

My niece and her two sons (15, 17) are in a suburb of Chicago. Still in lock down. Parks are closed, no athletic events, virtual schooling, travel restrictions and no Boy Scouts. The community pool is closed so her oldest son won't have his Summer job. No end in sight either. Nuts! mad

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148034 05/20/20 06:17 PM
V
Vinduroman Offline
Member L1
Member L1
V
Here in the USA, it is my hope that the trampling of the Constitutional rights of those suffering in such over reaching states, along with what appears (to me) to be an intentional trashing of the economy, will be a HUGE wake up call to vote out the elected officials guilty of doing such.

A phenomenon that seems to be happening here: I was told by a postal employee that MANY are sending in voter registration cards and switching parties. I'll let you figure out which party they're leaving.

Unfortunately, those over reaching states are now pushing for mail in voting. Yup: Mail in voting! How is that ever going to be monitored to ensure a fair election process? IMHO, we should have MANDATORY voter I.D. in ALL states. No I.D., no vote.

As for me, I refuse any such notion of "New Normal". I'm not a dirt biker because I'm timid and want to hunker down in fear. I'm a dirt biker, for heaven's sake: We take risks most "normal" people would NEVER think about taking. I've lived my life taking risks vocationally and economically, even recreationally. I prefer the freedom to live my life the way I want to and the way our Constitution is SUPPOSED to insure we American citizens should be able to if we so choose.

Hopefully, meaningful numbers nationwide will also jump ship and vote for upholding the Constitution and removal the mini-tyrants that have reared their heads on a state and local level.

V-man

Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148035 05/20/20 08:08 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Well put and my sentiments exactly! Moving forward from here to Nov 3rd will include a lot of drama. Much of which I'm not looking forward to as it interferes with running the country. I'm in favor of some sort of validation to permit casting a legal vote. Our system of voting in/out government officials is very important. And must run from honest tallies not by gerrymandering the system. Another aspect is making sure America is accurately informed about what's going on. Heavily spun news, lost journalism and lies don't help people make informed decisions. Division and hate rhetoric are yet more distractions which just weaken our resolve as a nation.

Yes risks are part of everyone's life. And we should be free to determine our own levels of risk tolerance. Not have it dictated to us by an out of touch 3rd party. That said, when the personal risks you take endanger someone else, a line is crossed. There's something called good judgement when you're not the only person that matters. I hope people can exercise that so freedoms continue to be sustainable.

This pandemic has certainly opened eyes on a global scale. It's also pulled many curtains back to expose formerly hidden agendas. I think the nation is well aware of what's going on with losing freedoms and being dictated to. It isn't being well received either. My prediction is you'll see this at the voting booths come Nov 3rd. Right now we need our economy back ASAP. Every day counts as businesses are going under daily not to return. I believe we can get past all of this given some time. It isn't going to be a cake walk to the finish line, however. But it's always worth investing in America and what she stands for.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148036 05/20/20 08:31 PM
V
Vinduroman Offline
Member L1
Member L1
V
Agreed on the small businesses going under. We must start opening on a wider scale ASAP.

Case in point: Wife and I rode the Ouachita Mountains yesterday (and the Ozarks on Monday!). We decided to forego the protein bars we've been eating for lunch on our rides for a month and a half, instead we popped out of the mountains and made a short run to Waldron, AR. Only one of the handful of eating places had a dining area opened. (The help wore masks, tables spaced, etc.) As we conversed with the owner, she told us that her friends lost their steak house restaurant because of this so-called "pandemic". The couple had just taken $3700 worth of perishables in advance of Mother's Day weekend, and the lock down order came. This, along with the expenses that continued, whether open or not, cost them their business. They had to call it quits a week ago. (Filing for bankruptcy, I suppose?) Sad times for small businesses.

I so hope you're right Muniac about this all being well remembered come time to vote and clean out the power grabbers and vote in Constitutional respecting elected officials. Our rights depend on it!

Last edited by Vinduroman; 05/20/20 08:32 PM.
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148037 05/21/20 12:02 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
While this guy is in Canada, most of what he says is applicable in the US as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oaWEIqIjYk

I don't understand how voter ID isn't a requirement. I also think our elected reps should have to pass a knowledge test every time they vote on a bill. If you don't know what's in it, how can you vote?

As for "lockdown"... thankfully its functionally over here. Some of the kids summer activities have been cancelled, but some are still happening so it's not a total loss. My wife showed me the CDC's new recommendations for schools, and they're positively laughable. I suspect wholesale revolt should they try to implement them when schools start back up in the fall.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/index.html

While we made the leap to home-schooling our kids last fall due largely to school administrative issues, I suspect this will drive many more people out of public schools. There's plenty of good and bad to that. I'm curious as to how the various home-school organizations will react.

Last edited by peejman; 05/21/20 12:02 PM.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics