Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow #146412 11/14/19 10:54 PM
I
ian640 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hi,

We'd quite like to use our XT225 Serows for touring.

They are Japanese Domestic Market machines.

Anyone know for sure if the Clarke tank will fit?

Thank you,

Ian.

Re: Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow [Re: ian640] #146413 11/15/19 07:36 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't "know for sure". I've never seen a JDM XT225 Serow except in photos posted here. However it would surprise me if frame wise there was any real difference in the JDM Serow and the north American XT225, which the Clarke tank fits perfectly.

Of course I've been surprised before, so hopefully you'll find a more informed answer from someone with a JDM Serow your side of the pond..

Arizona's Mogollon Rim

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow [Re: ian640] #146414 11/15/19 09:46 PM
ThumperStorm Offline
If are in the UK, you might want to consider this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160918350427

"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
Re: Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow [Re: ian640] #146425 11/18/19 05:14 PM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Brazil XT225 tank is good for 200 miles, 50 more than the Jap model, not sure if it fits.

Where you off touring?

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow [Re: Paul49] #146438 11/20/19 05:34 PM
ThumperStorm Offline
Originally Posted By: Paul49
The Brazil XT225 tank is good for 200 miles, 50 more than the Jap model, not sure if it fits.

Where you off touring?

As a person whose mother was Japanese, I find the word "Jap" to be highly offensive.

"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
Re: Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow [Re: ThumperStorm] #146439 11/20/19 07:26 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: ThumperStorm
Originally Posted By: Paul49

Where you off touring?

As a person whose mother was Japanese, I find the word "Jap" to be highly offensive.

Wondering if you know whether the Brazilian XT225 tank will fit the JDM Serow? Venting about a frustration you deeply feel doesn't tell us much.

I seriously doubt that Paul wrote with any intent to offend. Jap has been shorthand for Japanese longer than either of us have been around.

By itself a word is neither negative or positive. The 'context' in which a word is used is what counts, not the word by itself. Examples of this across the broad spectrum of human endeavor are possible. However such a discussion would have nothing to do with the subject at hand, finding a larger tank to fit the JDM XT225 Serow.

My daughter-in-law, Kelly, married to my oldest son, is half Japanese and half German. Michi, Kelley's mother, was interred along with her father and mother's family in a Japanese relocation camp in Arizona during the 2nd world war when she was very young.

Michi never fussed about anything, simply getting on with life as the war ended, a smile on her face with a warm heart towards others, meeting and marrying a returned U.S. serviceman who's family was German in origin.

Michi never complained about Jap being shorthand for Japanese. Instead she focused on what needed to be done for the good of her family and others, and went about doing whatever she could with a soul filled with energy and a heart filled with love.

A powerful example to all, Michi raised, together with her husband, a daughter and two sons. Kelly, her daughter, married my oldest son, Brent. Exampling her mother, Kelly is a loving and powerful force for good in the lives of everyone she knows and touches.

Michi and her children each tell us that complaining about the use and misuse of certain words is highly counterproductive. Those who engage in such discussions find themselves stuck at a point where the good they'd otherwise be about is more often than not short circuited and left unattended..

Just not worth it, not when more pressing things are going on around us - like trying to locate a larger tank for a Jap Domestic Market (JDM) Serow, as this thread seeks to do!..

A Look at Arizona's Mogollon Rim

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow [Re: ian640] #146450 11/21/19 05:54 PM
ThumperStorm Offline
I guess I will just stop frequenting this site if it is not only going to use a word that is defined as derogatory in most dictionaries but also have people that are going to defend the use of that word.

Did you notice that the OP used "Japanese Domestic Market"?

Re: Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow [Re: ThumperStorm] #146451 11/21/19 06:34 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: ThumperStorm
..I guess I will just stop frequenting this site if it is not only going to use a word that is defined as derogatory in most dictionaries but also have people that are going to defend the use of that word...

ThumperStorm, I'm neither defending nor condemning the use of that or any other word, as you must know if you carefully read my post. I understand that certain words carry with them a negative connotation in many minds, Jap being one of these. So I don't blame you for the feelings you have when you see it in use. I'm also aware that it's the CONTEXT in which any word is used that makes that word negative or positive.

With a daughter-in-law, Kelly, who's mother was Japanese, a grand lady who taught everyone who knew her what it meant to pursue life in positive loving ways at all times by the example she set in her own life, an example her children continue to emulate in their lives, I also know that your expressed concern for and hatred of the use of the word in question is not universally shared by all Japanese - certainly not with Michi and her Japanese American brothers and sisters, all of whom I know personally.

If you're determined to classify others, Paul or myself or anyone else, who would without malice aforethought use the word Jap as a shorthand reference to things Japanese, such as motorbikes and such, as being a personal affront to you and your sensitivities, then it would seem, not only here and now but with life in general as it goes on, you'll be engaged in constant battle simply because people will use, without malicious intent towards you or anyone else, words you will take exception to.

No one wants to see you leave, ThumperStorm. You've contributed interesting, informative posts to the group, and your contributions are appreciated. No one I know will intentionally tweak your sensitivities when it comes to being half Japanese - certainly not Paul, as far as I know, and for sure not me.

As close as I am to my daughter-in-law, Kelly and her incredible family, and as aware as I am of people and their sensitivities, that wouldn't be something I'd intentionally do, as it seems you've decided must be the case.

I do hope you reconsider, and I wish you all the best regardless of what you decide.

"A Look at Arizona's Mogollon Rim"

Re: Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow [Re: ian640] #146452 11/21/19 06:42 PM
D
Deserteagle56 Offline
Member L2
Member L2
D
Me...I'm offended by people who are easily offended.

This is an international forum, not just for the United States where political correctness is the new religion for some. Most of my family is in Eastern Europe and they are be completely baffled by what some Americans find offensive.

Worshipper of sun and wild country.
Re: Clarke Tank on a JDM XT225 Serow [Re: ian640] #146454 11/21/19 07:49 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yup, lots of people seem to have lost their sense of the BIG picture and take things out of context. Inferring negative meaning(s) and disrespect that aren't there or certainly aren't intended in the use of abbreviations like Jap, for example. All of us own and/or have owned bikes made in Japan. I own a Nissan so I have no beefs with Japan and/or its people. Much of the wounds of WWII have healed now with Japan. And they represent a valuable trading partner. In other words, we can help each other.

As for acronyms, expressions and slurs relating to ethnic backgrounds that's part of the human condition and always will be. A sense of humor goes a long way to bringing temperatures down and diffusing tensions that don't really exist. The take away being lighten up and get over it.

As for blogs, this one is pretty friendly and made up of a nice group of people that aren't grinding any axes. We don't hate anybody either. A sense of community needs to resonate beyond a couple of choice words. And after the words are spoken, it's obvious we have more in common than not.

If you search with Google on "Jap Slap" you'll find it referring to a trials move and martial arts move. It's just an expression that rhymes and that's all.

Attendance on this forum is completely discretionary. People come and go constantly and it's your call to leave if you want for whatever reason you feel justifies it. You're also welcome to return anytime. But don't judge the group (or this blog) by what you think is an inappropriate reference.

Watch Richard Pryor's "Live on Sunset Strip". Especially the pans of the audience. Blacks, whites, males, females, young and old all laughing. Back in the 80s when people had a sense of humor.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics