Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions

Posted By: klm4755

DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 08/05/06 12:03 AM

Enclosed is a step by step procedure for inverting your rear brake rod from the lower side of the rear axial to the top of the rear axial. The brake will function in either position. However it is advantageous to house the brake rod in the top position as the brake system is less susceptible to contact damage from ground objects. The Brazilian models reflect this configuration, so it must be better!

Standard, as delivered, brake rod position

After modification

brake rod connection to foot brake side. Don’t mess with this end.

use this tool to quickly loosen brake rod...12mm socket.

Like this

loosen brake bracket 2x 10mm wrenches. Always unthread nut. Hold bolt head steady.

Rod decoupled, the brake actuator bracket will not come off. Bike frame is in the way. Need to take wheel off to gain access. Dough...hassle factor increases!

parts for inspection and cleaning

[ August 04, 2006: Message edited by: klm4755 ]

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 08/05/06 12:04 AM

loosen rear wheel nut prior to jacking. Use x1 22mm hold wrench, 1x 22mm rachet socket. Use 1/4 drive on socket

ok to raise...

no details on rear wheel removal. Not intent of this “how to”.
Brake hub off, brake bracket in standard location. Use screw driver to gently pry off serrated stud.

relocation of bracket iteration 1x

locktight threads

Brake hub on iteration 1x

close up of hub iteration 1x

wheel mounted on bike. Brake locked up. Does not work properly. Bracket too far forward. Need to rotate a bit aft (torwards the rear). Need to remove wheel again.

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 08/05/06 12:04 AM

pry off bracket.

Brake rod resting position after wheel installed. Right in center of rod threads. This is where it needs to be!

Add spring. Bend the rod. No need to remove wheel to attach rod. The rod material is a very malleable steel. Ok to elastically or even plastically bend. To can form it back into shape after install.

Re-attach rod retaining nut.

Check and readjust brake settings. Peddle should be .40 inch below footrest. Brake should engage at .8 to 1.2 inches below this rest position.

Lube the system

torque wrench rear nut at 61 ft-lbs

All done

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 08/05/06 12:06 AM

another view. Big tip......use this view for your bracket placement, so you will not have to iterate the bracket location.

No issues with brake rod. Clears all components.

[ August 04, 2006: Message edited by: klm4755 ]
Posted By: Mike O

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 08/05/06 01:50 AM

wow, thanks for the step by step procedure, this will make my project easier for me
Posted By: Remy Le Havre

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 08/07/06 06:14 PM

I enjoy your pictoral demonstrations very much, but I would like to suggest a couple of things to consider if this modification is done. First, the clevis that attaches the actuator rod to the rear brake pedal is not straight. It has a vertical offset. If you also invert this clevis you will increase the clearance between the actuator rod and the upper outside edge of the swingarm. Second you make no mention of the ware guage indicator but someone suggested somewhere that you lose this feature if this modification is performed. The indicator is positioned on the pivot by means of one wide tooth which rests in a corresponding groove in the pivot. If this wide tooth is filed so that it has a profile similar to the other two teeth along the inner diameter you can reposition the indicator to the opposite end of the scale and the indicator will still work if you read the scale backwards. This whole guage thing is kind of a trivial bit but it can be salvaged if you want it.
Posted By: That old man from Yankton, SD.

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 08/07/06 06:51 PM

Thanks KLM for another useful and helpful post and recommendation that even this "non-wrench" type can understand. Thanks for all of your posts to the Group. Roger
Posted By: stu35

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 08/21/06 03:21 PM

Thanks - Good tip. I did this to my wifes bike. Nice thing was that I was able to move the wheel/axle far enough forward so I did not have to remove the wheel.
Posted By: Walls

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 01/18/07 09:12 AM

I might have a look at this one for my XT. Looks a little odd in the pictures though I can see the benefits.
cheers
Posted By: cyco

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 01/18/07 03:36 PM

I managed to complete the change without removing the rear wheel. Simply take the chain off of the rear sprocket then slide the wheel back as far is it goes. You should have enough room to remove the arm. However, when replacing the arm you will have to put it back on half-way, and when the first (inner) splined section gets to the indentation (where the retaining bolt goes), you can rotate the arm to the final position before placing the arm fully onto the shaft.

Sorry, no pics. I couldn't find my camera when I did this. Besides, it has already been documented.
Posted By: captaincrow

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 01/18/07 09:04 PM

Really nice rear tire,,, who makes it,Please ,,, does front match
Posted By: andmoon

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 04/15/09 12:26 AM

I just did mine (06) but didn't remove the rear wheel. I just undid the bolt & nut that holds the brake rod, pulled the rod 1/2 way out which puts it in a grove where I can rotate it to the up position.
Posted By: Core2Quad

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 04/15/09 03:45 AM

Tires look like Kenda K761's?

I just ordered a set of those last night. smile
Posted By: newbieinreno

Re: DIY XT-225 inverted rear brake rod instructions - 04/16/09 08:32 PM

thanks klm.....that looks like something even I could do!!!

It makes alot of sense with all the rocks bouncing around here

Reno....I also like the idea of filing in the "pad wear?" marks
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group