Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

replacement carb for 94 serow

Posted By: greyapron

replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/03/18 02:50 AM

Is this carb really this hard to find or do I just not know where to look?Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: peejman

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/03/18 03:23 PM

Your best bet for a whole carb will be a salvage yard. The carb itself may be used on several models of bike and ATV, but the jetting will be different for each model.

That said, what's wrong with it that you need to replace the whole carb?

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/05/18 02:00 PM

Well I broke the plastic choke connection from the carb and jb weld it back So it runs but I have no choke. Also ive heard about the tm33 upgrade is that fairly simple and is it worth it ? Thanks
Posted By: Muniac

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/05/18 03:31 PM

The TM33-8012 pumper carburetor isn't an exact replacement. I did some R&D with the TM33 back in 2004. The OEM throttle cable bracket won't clear the top frame rail for starters. Then there are jetting issues. I got my TM33 "close" but not perfect. Many have experimented with retrofitting this carburetor. To date I have failed to obtain exact jetting information from anyone. So I think this replacement may be problematic.

The stock OEM CV carburetor on the XT225 doesn't have a choke. It's a mixture enrichment plunger which is spring loaded. As I recall, there is a fitting that screws into the carburetor body that guides the cable out through an angled metal sheath. It also includes the plunger and spring. It might be possible to have a machine shop make that piece for you?? Or try to find a replacement.

Miller Cycles in Provo Utah might be able to help. Dan Miller owns that business. He's an old school guy with many years of experience. The phone number over there is: (801) 375-4436 Good luck!

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/05/18 04:36 PM

It seems to run ok without it. however the bike runs really strong after I clean the carb then after a few rides seems less powerful. Any idea why?

thanks again

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/05/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: greyapron
It seems to run ok without it. however the bike runs really strong after I clean the carb then after a few rides seems less powerful. Any idea why?

thanks again

What do you find when you clean it? Is there rust in the tank? Do you have a fuel filter installed?

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/07/18 01:30 PM

An orange brownish muck the 1st couple of times and it's kind of embarrassing but I dont know if there is a fuel filter there is a little gold looking thing on the fuel line but it is awfully small
Posted By: Muniac

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/07/18 03:02 PM

There is a short piece of black hose about 5/16" in diameter (OD) 4" long that connects the fuel tank petcock to the carburetor. With a pinch clamp on either end. An in line fuel filter would be within this hose. Most likely with some extra hose added to accommodate the filter. These are usually cylindrical or square in shape. Also clear or translucent. If you don't see such a device, you don't have a filter in there.

If you do add one, I'd avoid the cheap Chinese imported ones. The plastic can develop check cracks in the presence of gasoline. Which may be the alcohol content. You don't want leaks there and gasoline spilling down on a hot engine.

Tygon tubing is a good choice for a fuel line there. It's soft, flexible and holds up well. Hardware stores that sell small engine power tools sometime carry this. There is a link HERE so you can see what that tubing looks like. Good luck.

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/07/18 03:02 PM

An orange brownish muck the 1st couple of times and it's kind of embarrassing but I dont know if there is a fuel filter there is a little gold looking thing on the fuel line but it is awfully small

That sounds like rust coming from the fuel tank. The typical screen type filter won't stop it from getting into the carb and mucking up the works. There's several options for dealing with the rust, depending on how bad it is.

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/07/18 03:49 PM

When I first got the bike the gas in it was visible brownish now that I'm running only non ethanol the gas after several tanks full the gas in the tank is clear no idea how long old gas was in it. What are my low cost options ?

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/07/18 08:43 PM

When I first got the bike the gas in it was visible brownish now that I'm running only non ethanol the gas after several tanks full the gas in the tank is clear no idea how long old gas was in it. What are my low cost options ?

Drain the tank, get a flashlight and a small mirror. Look around for areas of surface rust. Small areas with minor surface rust can be dealt with. Bigger areas of flakey rust or pitting aren't so easy.

Easy way...

1) Drain the tank and dry completely.
2) Visit hardware store and get muriatic acid, some stainless steel nuts in various sizes, latex gloves, and 2-stroke engine oil.
3) Visit grocery store and get baking soda.

4) Put the acid and the nuts in the tank, being careful not to spill it. Seal the tank, but leave a small vent hole so vapor can escape.
5) Shake the tank so the nuts rattle around and help knock loose any rust. Rotate the tank so all inner surfaces are affected. Do this for several minutes. Your arms will be tired.
6) Drain the acid and the nuts.
7) Flush the tank with hot water.
8) Look inside the tank and see if the rust is gone. If not, go back to step 4.

9) Mix up baking soda and warm water, and add to the tank. Slosh it around so all surfaces get touched for a minute or two. This neutralizes the acid.
10) Drain and rinse thoroughly with hot water, really hot so it'll flash dry.
11) Mix up the 2-stroke oil with 100% gas something like 15-20:1.
12) Add that to the tank and slosh it around so all surfaces get coated. Let it sit for several hours (overnight), sloshing it occasionally.
13) Drain that and rinse with some pure gas.
14) Reinstall and hope for the best.

Posted By: #brer15

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/09/18 12:03 AM

Although I have never used it, because I have never had rust in my tank. Por15 gets good reviews as a tank sealant. There are better videos on youtube than this one, I just thought this one was cool because he used an XT tank. [url=<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lvbz9VssJUI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>]youtube[/url]
Posted By: #brer15

Re: replacement carb for 94 serow - 12/09/18 12:06 AM

Let me try that again. shocked
youtube
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group