Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S

Posted By: LMJ123

Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/15/08 05:39 AM

Resources area of the board look a little bare, so I'll add a post. Here you go Scott. I have to get to bed, but here's what I was able to pound out in a few minutes.

Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S

Based on my experience with my '96 XT and 2006 KLX. Comments should pretty well be valid for '92-2007XT, and 2006/2007 KLX. Kawasaki made changes to the 2009 model and introduced it in 2008, so there's no official 2008 model. 2009 model is lowered slightly with reworked suspension (less travel) and has a shorter 6th gear so the stock 250 can pull it. 2009 also has wave brakes and thicker spokes than '06 and '07.

The two bikes are intended for slightly different markets, but compare favorably to one another. The XT is a go-anywhere bike that should run forever with a minimum of maintenance. The XT weighs around 238 pounds, while the KLX tips the scales at around 280. The lower seat height of the XT and the rear grab bars are nice features. The KLX does have a rear rack included, which provides a hand hold to pick the bike up with, but it's not nearly as substantial as the grab bars on the XT. They both offer passenger pegs. The KLX is more technologically advanced with four valves, liquid cooling, and 11:1 compression ratio. The XT has a more substantial frame and I think probably is actually stronger than the Kawasaki's. The rear disc and extra power of the KLX are nice. The low seat height, durability, and maintenance requirements of the XT make it quite appealing. I was primarily interested in the Kawasaki because I wanted a bike that had a rear disk and more power or potential for power. I also wanted a bike I could ride on the highway and off highway. I didn't feel comfortable doing this on the XT because I could gear it for one or the other, but not both. The Kawasaki is more comfortable on the highway and still has enough for off highway without changing the gearing.

Maintenance
XT wins hands down. Easier to work on, better access to carb. Two valves to adjust with a wrench, as opposed to four to adjust with shims. The spark plug is easily changed on an XT, You have to remove a radiator shroud and possibly the gas tank depending on your tools on the KLX to get to the spark plug, and it is tucked way down into the cylinder head. You have to remove the seat to change the KLX's air filter (9 fasteners total), you have to remove the side plastic on the XT (4 fasteners total). Oil change is easier on XT, as you remove one bolt on the down tube to pull off the skid plate and get to the drain plug. On the KLX you have to remove four allen heads on the bottom of the bike to get to the drain plug.

Gas mileage
XT 75MPG is no problem, with anywhere from 60 to 100 typical depending on terrain and rider.
KLX 58MPG so far over 227 miles that didn't include any technical riding. Plus the speedometer/odometer isn't accurate so even 58 is slightly inflated.

Range
XT 2.2 gallons and better mileage
KLX 1.9 gallons and worse mileage (not much range)

Aftermarket Accessories
XT Tail rack, pegs, bars...
KLX Tail rack, pegs, bars, some plastic, three larger capacity fuel tanks

Aftermarket Performance
XT Not much, air filter, 225 to 250 if you want to spend $550 for 10% increase in displacement, TM33.
KLX Lots more options for the KLX as it's based on the KLX300. Lots more, air filter, up to 300, 331, 340cc's with no machining for around $450. Steel braided brake lines. Bill Blue TM33, or TM36.

Longevity
XT Likely edge to XT as it is air cooled, 9:1 compression.
KLX Liquid cooled, could easily damage radiator hoses and radiators in a wreck. 11:1 compression.

Power
KLX has broader powerband and revs up to 10,500. XT has a better low-end. The Mikuni CVK on the XT is not one of Mikuni's
better efforts. The Keihin CVK on the KLX is not a pumper, but compared to the Mikuni one might think it is.

Shifting
Most XT's I've ridden (let's say five up to model year 2007) on have what I would describe as notchy shifting. In other words, you don't want to wait until your stopped to try and punch it down from 6th to 1st gear. I've always tended to downshift my XT through each gear because of the behavior. In other words depress clutch, pop to 5th, release clutch, depress clutch, pop to 4th, etc. I've tried Rotella T dino, Rotella T synthetic, and over the past two years Mobil 1 V-twin 20w-50 synthetic. The Mobil 1 has worked the best, but the KLX shifts so much more smoothly and has more positive action. Keep in mind I'm comparing primarily my '96 XT to an '06 KLX, but still have ridden 2005, 2006, and 2007 XT's and didn't feel they were particularly smoother.

Brakes
No comparison, KLX has discs front and rear. XT only up front, and on my '96 a single pot.

Suspension
KLX has superior suspension. It's sprung for a 165 pounder from the factory, so perfect for me. The XT suspension is comfortable in town and for trail riding, but can be bottomed on any rough terrain at speed. The KLX has firmer suspension and is more comfortable both on or off road.

Load carrying
XT Holds quite a bit on it's steel frame. Spare gas on the rear of an XT is no problem.
KLX Holds 5lbs on its rear rack, common reports of cracked rear subframes from carrying any more than 5lbs.

Skid Plate
XT comes with a decent aluminum skid plate, at least it's all I've ever needed. KLX really doesn't have much of a skid plate, really needs an aftermarket one to protect bottom/sides of case and radiator hoses.

Forums
www.xt225.com is of course excellent because of the caliber of contributors. There's also a nice long thread on adventure rider for the XT. As for the KLX, I've found kawasakiforums to have lots of information as well as the long-term KLX thread on adventure rider. The drawbacks of course are that you have to wade through all of the flame wars on the other forums, something that is refreshingly absent from this forum.
Posted By: Matches

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/15/08 05:12 PM

Excelent write up! I expect Magoo to chime in here any....second....
Posted By: TEXASXT225

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/15/08 05:42 PM

LMJ,

Very comprehensive and well-written report. Since you obviously have a good deal of experience with both bikes, it was non-biased with both strong and weak points on both bikes.

This type of report would be a good model for future comparisons between the XT and similar bikes.

Thanks for taking the time to pull all the information together in one report.
Posted By: Az4x4

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/15/08 09:56 PM

Gonna bookmark LMJ123's report for future reference! Very well done indeed..
Posted By: Magoo

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/16/08 12:02 AM

I also own these two bikes and LMJ123 is spot on with his comparison! Frankly, I was disappointed with the KLX250's power and it is totally geared for the street/commuter crowd. However, there are lots of performance mods that can be performed and after spending approx. $1100.00 on these mods, I'm very satisfied with the Kawasaki. . . . still, the XT225 handles like a bicycle (I ride 95% off-road) and I just love it! It's no wonder that Yamaha has sold a gazillion of them!
Posted By: Muniac

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/16/08 06:05 AM

Loren - Thanks much for taking the time and effort to present your views on both these bikes from a rider's perspective. You and I ride a similar style so that's why I asked. I too am looking at options. My beefs with the XT are suspension travel and poor performance at high altitude. Did you look at the WR250 model that's street legal? I'm sure you had good reasons for selecting the KLX.

Low end grunt is HUGE on my XT. I never need to fan the clutch. The bike pulls well up hills in 2nd gear. It's my working gear for technical hills. I also have mine geared to 15:58. Don't do much highway riding. You get a lot done in a few minutes. If I had your writing skills I'd throw mine away.

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/16/08 11:53 PM

The WR250R would be a great choice in my opinion. Even better suspension than the XT or KLX, and fuel injection. It makes great power from everything I've read. There were two things that caused me to not really look at it. First, seat height. At 36.6" that's quite a climb for me. Second, no used market and a MSRP of $6,090. I don't ride enough to make that kind of expenditure worth it to me. I suppose some could be concerned because it's only been out a year, but I would look at this bike closely given the concerns you're trying to address.
Posted By: Muniac

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/17/08 03:26 AM

The WR250R seems like a good bike. I'm not into the ginny pig thing either whilst Yamaha gets the bugs worked out of the newer models. EFI is good and has been available on ATVs for a while. It should be reliable but time will tell. MSRP is strong bucks I agree. But if the quality is there and reliability good then it all makes sense. Some of these high strung bikes need constant maintenance which I'm not into. I'd rather ride to be honest. Thanks for you input. I'm not sure about the seat height. I'm used to having it out of the way for most of the stuff I ride.
Posted By: Cigar Mike

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/18/08 06:55 AM

Loren,

After our discussion in Silverton I was hoping that you would get a ride on the WRR and give us your thoughts on it. The seat height on the R can be lowered to 35.7 without effecting preoad or the suspension, which is some help. The only negative I have read is that it does not have as much grunt down low. But the power stock is good and with some minor adjustments, like an after market pipe it is suppose to add a few more ponies.

I have looked at it closely due to its good maintenance schedule. It is not like the WRF motor and is not as high strung. From what I have read the bike can produce 32HP without much modification. I was really hoping that Yamaha would bring out a WR450R for 2009. but it appears it is not going to happen. Maybe next year. The reports I have read at ADV indicate the bike will get 70 MPG and even with the small tank that would provide good range. And never having to jet the bike isn't bad either.

I thought this report WR250R/X was interesting.

Cigar Mike

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/19/08 02:26 AM

Mike,

If I were looking to buy new, the WR250R would definitely be on my list. One problem with buying new in Albuquerque is that no dealer will let you test ride any bike. I have a hard time considering paying new prices on bikes I've never rode. One thing that made purchasing a KLX easier was getting to ride Gerald's in Moab for a couple of hours. No question, the WRR is quite a bike and can create great power. On the KLX, I can spend around $1000 to get it up to 331cc's with a pumper carb, which puts RWHP at around 28. I still come out ahead in terms of total cost by quite a bit, plus I get to spend all that time in the garage. Eventually, I'll get tired of doing mods and just buy something like the WRR with fuel injection. Hopefully we will start seeing more fuel injected dual sports with 250/450cc's.

Loren

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/20/08 04:13 PM

The WR250R's engine can produce 32 HP without much modification. . . . Holy crap, Batman. . . . just wait until some of these bike come on to the used market! Yeah, I cannot afford a new one! Anyway, I DO love my little XT! Hey LMJ123, in your signature line you state that you have a 117.5 main jet. Are you certain of that?

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/21/08 03:45 AM

I ran a 117.5 for a long time (couple years) when I rode primarily in the Silverton and Ouray Colorado area. Most of that riding ranges from 8000' to nearly 14000' above sea level. Here in Albuquerque at 5000' I run a 122.5.

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/21/08 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: LMJ123
I ran a 117.5 for a long time (couple years) when I rode primarily in the Silverton and Ouray Colorado area. Most of that riding ranges from 8000' to nearly 14000' above sea level. Here in Albuquerque at 5000' I run a 122.5.

Colorado high country. . . . OK, I get it. I lived in Lander, WY for a few years and the backpacking trailheads started at between 7,500' and 9,000'. Great country. . . 49th LOWEST wages state in the country! Had to go. . .
Posted By: locopostie

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 10/23/08 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: LMJ123

I just got back from that area. Stock jets seamed to handle it fine.
Posted By: asp125

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 11/09/18 05:18 AM

Reviving an old thread. I'm new to the DS game (a couple years). We currently have a KLX250S and an XT225. I'm looking for an XT250 for the wifey, which means her XT225 and my KLX are duking it out to see who stays. We ride mostly dirt roads/double track nothing gnarly. A couple times out to Moab on easy trails. The more I read about the XT225 the more I think it's the little mountain goat that could. I'm about 150# with a 32in inseam, the KLX is just at the borderline tall for me to feel nervous in the technical stuff. But I like the extra power and more modern tech of it/ Any recommendations if I should keep the XT225 over the KLX?
Posted By: peejman

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 11/09/18 02:58 PM

A good friend has a KLX250S. My take is that it's much taller than the XT and much higher maintenance. It also makes more power and is more easily upgraded.

He's upgraded the forks and shock and the difference is stark. Where I have to slow down and use my knees and elbows to absorb the bumps, his bike just floats along.

Just depends on what you want, and what you're happy with. They're both good bikes.
Posted By: Az4x4

Re: Yamaha XT225 compared to Kawasaki KLX250S - 11/11/18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: asp125
...the KLX is just at the borderline tall for me to feel nervous in the technical stuff. But I like the extra power and more modern tech of it..

I rode a KLR250 for some time, the older brother to the KLX. It was a bit taller than the XT225, and was kick start only -- which even though it started right up I got tired of after a while (not as young as I once was!). But for the riding I did with it, more like you, nothing really gnarly, I liked the Kawasaki.

Often thought that if it had electric start I'd have kept it. But finding what you're looking for in sparsely populated country like I live in is a crap shoot, and a newer KLX250 never showed up. So I sold the KLR250 and went back to an XT225 for some time -- a bike I've always enjoyed. Finally sold the XT and figured I'd step back from riding -- that is until a fellow 30 minutes away put a superb, rarely seen Honda CRF230L up for sale and that bike decided to come home with me.

Anyway, if I'd come across a Kawasaki KLX250 instead of the Honda, I'd be riding it now. It's superior in many ways to the XT, yet the XT remains a timeless machine in other ways. It's lighter, with a lower seat height making it easier to handle in slow single track stuff, something there's a lot of where I live and where I rode the XT. But for going places that don't require a XT225 'mountain goat' to get you there and back, a KLX250 would be my personal choice. You can lower the seat height if that helps, plus it's technically the better bike all around.

But, hey, ..like PJman says, it's your call. Do what's right for you..

© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group