Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225

Posted By: Mule

Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/10/07 09:51 PM

These are the Magnetic Drain Plugs that I'll be making for the XT225.
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=283286&ck=

If anyone is interested, I make them using the stock OEM drain plug. I machine the plug to accept the magnet and secure it using a spiral lock ring so it can't come loose.
I charge $10.00 to do the modification plus $4.05 for 2-3 day Priority mail shipping. This includes the magnet/lock ring. The machining is free, All I ask is that you make a donation to this forum. As soon as I receive your drain plug I'll machine it and send it out the next day.
I've machined about 50 of these for the TW200 and thought that you may want one as well.

This is an interesting read about magnetic filtering.
http://www.greenmediaonline.com/uploads/shoptalk/0605_st.asp
Anyway you can send your plug to
John Jolley
6230 Alderwood Ave.
Port Saint John, FL
32927 or call me at 321 639-3582 if you have any questions.
They really work very well and I havn't had any complaints.
Regards,
John Jolley

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/10/07 10:40 PM

[img]http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=141720&ck=[/img]
Posted By: joelberg

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/11/07 04:46 AM

I'd prefer for you to sell completed drain plugs that I would pay a bit extra for, I need my drain plug while you would be machining it!
Posted By: jay

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/11/07 06:00 AM

i wonder what a new plug costs? i must look that up soon. it sounds like a great idea. what kind of magnet do you employ? i'm certainly interested.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/11/07 10:50 AM

I use N48 Neo magnets.

Neodymium magnets are also known as NdFeB magnets, which is more academic since it shows the major chemical elements of the material. However, "neo magnet" is easier for communication purposes and is actually used more often in the industry. Another popular name is super powerful magnet because of its amazing power.

The highest grade neo magnet is the most powerful magnet so far. Comparing with ceramic 8 magnets, the grade N40 neo magnet is roughly 8 times stronger.

They are so strong that the spring that holds the Pre-filter in will jump out and attach itself to the drain plug.

When you go to screw your drain plug back in after changing your oil, just install the prefilter and the spring and then screw the plug back in.

The oil gets picked up by the pump right at the plug, the brass screen pre-filter catches any large chunks that could shear the oil pump gears.
Posted By: entropysedge

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/11/07 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: joelberg
I'd prefer for you to sell completed drain plugs that I would pay a bit extra for, I need my drain plug while you would be machining it!

Same here!!
Posted By: GlennF

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/11/07 01:03 PM

Add me to your list who would pay extra!
Posted By: Milano.B

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/11/07 01:27 PM

Here is the cost of a new Drain Plug

I am interested also
Can you advise the total cost with a new drain plug included?

Thanks

Milano

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/11/07 08:33 PM

I just ordered six new drain plugs, I'll machine them and send them out on an exchange basis. When you get your magnetic drain plug, change your oil and send me your old one so I can "pay it forward".
I want to try and keep the cost down, the OEM plug fits so why not use it. Besides, what would you do with your old one...

If you can swing letting your bike sit for a few days it's easier and less hassle to just drop your original in the mail to me. I'll ship it back the next morning 2-3 Day Priority Mail.

Posted By: Barnone

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/11/07 08:53 PM

John,
I'll send you my drain plug and a check for $14.05 total, right?
Thanks,
Posted By: Moto Psycho

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/11/07 09:35 PM

John......Sent you a PM....

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/12/07 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Barnone
John,
I'll send you my drain plug and a check for $14.05 total, right?
Thanks,

That's correct, I'll machine your OEM plug, and install the magnet and send it back to you using 2-3 Day Priority mail.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/12/07 01:24 AM

As a side note, I've been asked why not just glue or JB weld a magnet in the plug?
I thought about that but you have to figure that it (oil) gets pretty hot. If the glue doesn't expand and contract at the same rate as the aluminum plug it "could" come out. I don't think that the magnet would hurt anything but I'm not so sure about the epoxy.
Another asked why not just put the magnet in the pre-filter? If you have ever played with these things (Super Strong Magnets) you know how fast they can move. "IF" the magnet jumped inside your engine case you would have a really bad day....

I also thought about a "Press Fit", drilling and reaming a hole in the hex part of the plug and pressing a magnet in. That would work with a regular magnet but the NEO magnets are brittle and will break if you apply the pressure that is required to press one into a piece of aluminum. I also thought that it might weaken the hex part of the plug.

After goofing with my own drain plug I've found that machining the I.D. to accept the magnet and machining a groove in the plug and installing a spiral lock ring works the best. There is no pressure on the magnet yet the ring holds it in place. If you ever want to remove the magnet you can but I can't think of any reason why you would want to, I just wipe mine with a rag when I change the oil.

I've got an old South Bend Lathe in my garage that I use to machine these. It doesn't take that long to do it and the benefits are real.

I found it interesting that even Non-Metalic particals are picked up by the magnets as stated in the report. (posted above)

Anyway, for $10 bucks it's cheap insurance....Smiles
Posted By: jay

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/13/07 05:00 AM

i just ordered a new drain plug and as soon as it comes in, i'm sending it to you with my check as well. i think this is a win/win situation.
Posted By: Paul

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/13/07 04:29 PM

Here in Ottawa at one of our local bike shops they charge $12.26 for a new drain plug.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/13/07 06:19 PM

I just ordered one from Ron Ayers Motorsports which was $10.25 plus $8.00(!!!) shipping. Will be sending it to Mule.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/13/07 08:31 PM

I ordered 6 plugs from Ron Ayers so I'll have some extras to swap out.
If/after you receive your magnetic plug and you don't see having any use for your old one I sure could use it.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/13/07 08:46 PM

There was another “genius” that said the metallic particles don’t hurt your engine and that dirt/sand is far more destructive to the metal to metal parts, and because sand isn’t magnetic that you don’t need magnetic filtering.

I took one of the NEO magnets outside and dropped it in the sand.

This is what it picked up………

Unless the dirt where he lives is filtered and pure silica he may be right, but the dirt where I live has metallic ore in it and it sticks to magnets….

I'm guessing that th dirt in your area will stick to a magnet as well.

Smiles.

[img]http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=288520&ck=[/img]
Posted By: Squall Line

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/16/07 04:26 AM

I sent you a pm, it should show up under my stuff. Any chance you could do an exchange basis with a tw200 as well as the xt?

Thanks,

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/17/07 01:57 AM

Sure, they are the same plug.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/20/07 01:01 AM

I've got some drain plugs if anyone is interested.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/21/07 07:07 PM

John,
Just got mine in the mail and installed it. Looks good and what a strong magnet. Will report back on next oil change.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/22/07 02:17 AM

Thanks Vince, It's a little tricky getting the spring/pre-filter in because the spring want's to jump onto the magnet. If you put the spring/prefilter in the engine case first, the plug will screw right in.

You'll notice all kinds of trash that the magnet picks up on your next oil change.
They work very well.
Posted By: Milano.B

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/22/07 06:10 AM

For all the vehicles I have ever owned, the first thing I do is to get a magnetic oil drain plug.
The benefit of it is debatable depending of what sources you are reading.
But it is stronger than me. Indeed, it is like a religion.
Milano got to have the Magnetic Oil Drain Plug.

I have looked and searched everywhere for the XT225 magnetic drain plug.
Since it is a low volume “Girl Bike”, there is not much after market parts available.
Until Mr. Mule offers to fabricate one for around $15, with shipping to Florida, total cost comes out to be around $18.

Emails have been exchanged as to how much Mr. Mule would charge to ship a New Magnetic drain plug.
After all, the New Drain Plug does not cost that much.
But to keep the cost down, Mr. Mule prefers that we ship the current drain plug to him for machining.
In exchange, he will machine another drain plug from another bike.
This idea with an unknown part history does not seem too Kosher for Milano.
Indeed, he enjoys riding long distance to far away places.
To have a defective oil drain plug from an unknown bike would be undesirable, stuck in the middle of no where.

But Mr. Mule got a point. What would I do with an extra oil drain plug?
Yep, I have enough OEM spare parts to service a whole fleet of XT225’s.
They are now sitting collecting dust in the part bin.

On Thursday night, Milano drained the Mobil Oil MX4T which he just changed a few days ago (bummer).
Devoid of vital fluid, the bike is kept alive with a heart/lung machine while a Battery Tender keeps the 24h vigilance.
The plug, packed in ice, is on its way to Mr Mule in Florida.
It is shipped cross country from California.

Milano request that either, it is machined from the enclosed painted plug or exchange it with a new plug.
Mr. Mule advises that he got a few new plugs and this is what Milano is going to get.
Hmmm, Mr Mule might have to do some explaining to the person who gets the Purple Plug.
Oh Yeah?

For some reason, I believe the Purple Plug will return to California, Eh?

Many days have passed, and it is now Friday and still No Magnetic Plug.
Looks like the USPS Priority Mail took the Scenic Route to Florida, Eh?
Milano is getting concerned. Soon it will be two weekends and still he cannot ride.
Mr. Mule PM back and advised it was shipped on Thursday.
Yippee!

As expected, the Purple Plug (now Magnetic) has returned home on Sat.
What a relief! Better late than never
The posting pics by the fabricator is far away and is difficult to see the detail
Here are some macro pics

As described he uses a spiral lock ring sitting on top of two Neo Magnets.
It can be just one magnet but it looks more like a twin Neo.
They look well behaved sitting tight like a Siamese twin.
The magnet has some play on its base like about 1/1.5 mm.
Here a different angle view

Now to get the spring to sit on the drain plug is a different story.
The magnet is Very Strong and the spring keeps misbehaving.
It seems to have a "magnetic" attraction to this newcomer.
The trick is to get a whip, look at the spring eyes to eyes and speak in no uncertain term.

- If you jump again like a clown, I will melt you down!

Holy Cow, it works.
Now, it is tame and is behaving like a good child.
Looks Mom, No Hands!

Overall, it seems to be a good design and the price is about right.
Depending on where you live, delivery time can be a week or a little over a week.
We will know how much junk it will pick up on the next oil change.
Time will tell.

Milano

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/22/07 09:31 AM

I want to buy one

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/22/07 03:11 PM

WOW, GREAT PICTURES....Smiles

Milano, you asked if you were going to get the magnet that I dropped in the sand and I told you that you were going to get a new magnet....

You couldn't expect another rider to open up the package I sent him and find a purple drain plug....WTF

So I did like you asked and machined yours. Smiles

The least difficult way to install the plug is to put the spring/pre-filter in the engine case first, then put the plug in.

You will see what kind of trash the magnet will pick-up when you change your oil next time.

Thanks for the review, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/22/07 03:25 PM

I charge $10.00 to do the modification plus $4.05 for 2-3 day Priority mail shipping. This includes the magnet/lock ring. The machining is free,

All I ask is that you make a donation to this forum.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/23/07 06:43 AM

I'd rather buy a whole new plug with the magnet in it already

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/23/07 10:38 AM

It starts to get pricey if I do it that way, Ron Ayers charges $10.25 for the plug plus $8.00 shipping.

$18.25 for the plug
$10.00 for the mod
$4.05 to ship it to you....

It's up to you but the honor system seams to be working real well.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/24/07 08:54 AM

It's just that I am often using it for around the town transport and might not be able to afford the down time

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/27/07 06:23 PM

John,

Got my drain plug today. Looks great, and wow! what a magnet!

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 04/28/07 12:16 AM

I'm glad that your happy with it. Your engine will be too....Smiles
Posted By: srx595

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 05/05/07 05:06 PM

John,

Two more drain plugs on the way for the magnet installation. Thanks for offering to machine the plugs and install the Neo magnets.

Wayne

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 05/08/07 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: srx595
John,

Two more drain plugs on the way for the magnet installation. Thanks for offering to machine the plugs and install the Neo magnets.

Wayne

Wayne I received your drain plugs and have machined them and fit the magnets, they will go out on Wed. 5/8/07
Thanks Again.
John
Posted By: srx595

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 05/12/07 11:45 AM

John,

Received the drain plugs yesterday. They look great and will be installed soon. Thanks again.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 05/18/07 12:55 AM

Mike Felden, I would appreciate it if you could send your old plug back to me.

Thanks
John Jolley

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 06/11/07 12:50 AM

I've got some Brand New Yamaha drain plugs that I've machined and installed the magnets in available if you want to purchase one outright.

$30 shipped 2-3 day Priority mail.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 06/11/07 01:08 AM

Hey John.... Put me on the list for one. I tried to PM you, but it said your are not accepting PM's. Send me a PM with the info on who and where to send the payment to. Thanks....
Posted By: RickMJr

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 06/11/07 07:51 PM

John,
I ordered and received a new drain plug. I'm sending it to you with my check.
Thanks in advance,
Rick
Posted By: harquahalas

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 06/20/07 04:55 AM

I have two plugs to send. How soon do you need them for me to get them back by July 4? What would be the total for 2 plugs?

Thanks, Nathan
Mesa, AZ 85203

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 06/26/07 10:41 PM

John...... I received my plug today. It looks great, and that little magnet is pretty powerful....

Thanks,
MP
Posted By: RideOrDie

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 07/13/07 09:58 PM

I was interested in this mag plug and havent heard any word. What do i gots to do?

C.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 07/20/07 08:25 PM

I'm sorry I havn't responded sooner. I've got some Brand New ones ready to ship, or you can send me yours and I'll machine it for you and send it back. I have a paypal account that you can use to send the funds, it's my email address.

jmjftw@bellsouth.net

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 10/01/07 08:39 PM

If you want me to machine your drain plug send it to me with $15 (check, money order, cash, ) and I'll machine it, install the magnet and send it back to you 2-3 day priority mail.

If you want to just buy one of the new ones machined with magnet add an additional $15 bucks

John Jolley

6230 Alderwood Ave

Port Saint John, FL

My PayPal account is my email address, if you use a credit card please add 3% because PayPal charges me for it.
Posted By: doxbike

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 11/27/07 04:02 AM

John,

You may have answered this elsewhere in the thread, but, if I order one, and send mine to you after I install yours, what's the $$ amount?

thanks
Bill
Posted By: NJBill

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 12/17/07 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: doxbike
John,

You may have answered this elsewhere in the thread, but, if I order one, and send mine to you after I install yours, what's the $$ amount?

thanks
Bill

I would like the same answer please. - Thanks, Bill
Posted By: Road Rash

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 12/25/07 09:38 PM

Are any of these available for outright purchase at this time ?

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 01/03/08 11:25 PM

I tried that (exchange) when I first started making the drain plugs, it didn't work out. I would send out a real nice/new plug and get back a drain plug with all the corners rounded off of the hex.
Now I just make new ones or machine the plug that you send me.
Everybody knows what they are getting.

I'll have the next batch finished this weekend so If you sent me funds or a plug I apploigise for the wait.
They will ship on Monday at the latest.
Thanks,
John
Posted By: BillV

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 01/05/08 08:19 AM

Thanks for the update. I believe that a major source of the buggered hexes is the use of a 12 point socket on a die cast part. I'd like to see a recommendation added to the DIY Oil Change that only a 6 point socket be used when removing or installing the plug.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 01/06/08 04:37 PM

Bill, I just machined the plug that you sent me and it will go out on Monday.

I also have one going out to J. King in Texas and M. Henn in Florida.

HAVE I FORGOTEN ANYONE?????

If you have sent me payment and have not gotten your drain plug please let me know. I got side tracked during the holidays and feel that I may have missed someone. If I did I appologise...

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 01/06/08 05:52 PM

I've got another batch of these ready to go out if anybody needs one for thier bike.

Brand new Yamaha plug with magnet installed $30.00

Prefered way to send payment is PayPal, jmjftw@bellsouth.net

I get the funds print the shipping label and it goes out the next day.

Thanks
Posted By: Ixta

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 01/12/08 01:56 PM

Received mine this past week. Very nice work, John. Thanks!

Joel in San Antonio

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 03/04/08 11:06 PM

I just did my first oil change/filters clean since I installed the magnetic drain plug and didn't have any metal bits on the magnet or in the filters. I guess that is good news. I have 2028 miles on my 2005 XT225.Using Rotella synthetic oil.
Posted By: CUSTOMCAB

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 08/20/08 09:02 PM

HELLO MULE,
ARE YOU STILL MAKING THE MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUGS? IF SO I WOULD LIKE TO BUY ONE FOR MY XT225
THX,
CUSTOMCAB

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 08/20/08 11:28 PM

CC...

You might want to contact him thru his phone number. I don't see him on here a lot, just every so often. It is a great plug, I have one for my bike....cool

Quote from Mule:

Anyway you can send your plug to
John Jolley
6230 Alderwood Ave.
Port Saint John, FL 32927
or call me at 321 639-3582 if you have any questions.
They really work very well and I havn't had any complaints.
Regards,
John Jolley

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 08/23/08 07:24 PM

Hey Moto Psycho,
Thanks for the info.
I called Mule Friday, left message.
Maybe he will check in website sometime!

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 08/26/08 12:25 AM

I got the meassage and I've got magnetic drain plugs. These are Genuine Yamaha parts that come in the Yamaha bag. I machine them, install the magnet and send them out. PayPal is easiest for me as it allows me to keep track. My PayPal account is the same as my email address jmjftw@bellsouth.net
The magnetic drain plugs are $32 shipped 2-3 day Priority mail anywhere in the USA.

Thanks,
Mule

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 09/07/08 02:59 AM

Received the plug, looks great will install at next oil change.
Thx, Customcab

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 07/30/09 03:17 PM

John, Do you have any magnetic drain plugs left?

Regards,

Joel.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 07/30/09 03:33 PM

Joel,
Mule/John seems to have disappeared. I tried to contact him here, on TW200.com and with his email address a month or so ago with no luck. Someone here talked about just putting a magnet in the screen/filter.

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs for the XT225 - 07/31/09 04:05 PM

Thank you very much for the response. No response to my direct email either. Hope all is well and he is merely offline.

Regards,

Joel.
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group