Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

Idaho brief tour

Posted By: Chizz

Idaho brief tour - 07/13/13 09:16 PM

Not sure if i ave come to the right place - but will be visiting Idaho in September. not planning any heavy duty trails but a two week road trip two up on a rented bike. Starting off and finish in Boise - any tips of must see places and roads for a couple of brits who have never been to the area before ?

Chizz
Posted By: Knack

Re: Idaho brief tour - 07/13/13 10:55 PM

Danskins Peak is a nice area - but two-up may be difficult. You could surely drive up to Bogus Basin and checkout the view from the ski area.

If you are looking to see Boise culture stop by Marsing wine country and tour a winery or go up to Idaho City or McCall areas for some fun.

For trails/offroad areas see: http://stayontrails.com/

Have a great trip!

--Rob
Posted By: tuna

Re: Idaho brief tour - 07/13/13 11:20 PM

The Sawtooth Recreation area is near Boise,Stanley Idaho and the Salmon river real nice riding area. You will enjoy, nothing like it in the UK.

Re: Idaho brief tour - 07/14/13 08:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Knack
Danskins Peak is a nice area - but two-up may be difficult. You could surely drive up to Bogus Basin and checkout the view from the ski area.

If you are looking to see Boise culture stop by Marsing wine country and tour a winery or go up to Idaho City or McCall areas for some fun.

For trails/offroad areas see: http://stayontrails.com/

Have a great trip!

--Rob

Thanks Rob - stay on trials looks interesting - will be looking at this over the next few days - appreciate the help - Chizz

Re: Idaho brief tour - 07/14/13 08:31 AM

Originally Posted By: tuna
The Sawtooth Recreation area is near Boise,Stanley Idaho and the Salmon river real nice riding area. You will enjoy, nothing like it in the UK.

Thanks Craig - this is an area that i will almost certainly be visiting - already studying the maps! really looking forward to it.

Chizz
Posted By: Muniac

Re: Idaho brief tour - 07/14/13 04:21 PM

If you are in Stanley, ID you'll find some good trails. Bay Horse is one area. This area is developing a reasonably friendly OHV attitude to attract some income into the town. A couple of riding slide shows are below:

Bay Horse

Stanley Lake

These are just some tid bits. Bugs can be bad if the forest is wet. The riding there can be difficult in spots. Keep that in mind when you venture out.

Me in class III rapids. Not really smart!

The Salmon River is right there and very dangerous in spots. One spot flows through a hydro electric dam that was dynamited out many years ago. Chunks of cement and rebar are all over under the water. I recall it running at class IV and claiming a few lives. Be very careful if you plan on running that river. Guided or not.

Re: Idaho brief tour - 07/14/13 09:06 PM

Magic pictures Muniac! Not sure that i will be trying any of that white water stuff ! scenery looks great - i have a rented bike so will be mostly on road. Hoping to visit happy trails with a view to getting two xts kitted out next year - thanks for the pics - looking forward to it

Chizz
Posted By: Muniac

Re: Idaho brief tour - 07/15/13 05:18 AM

There are so many good places to ride. Stanley is one of them. And when you get up in the morning with nothing to look forward to then one exists rather than living.

Pictures and ride reports should be compelling at some level. Glad you got a kick out of them.

The white water experience went really bad early on. The guides were young kids and very ill advised to take the money and hand us the paddles in class III rapids. The shot below captures the general mood of the situation.

We'd go back and dump in again but with a lot more smarts and respect for the river.
Posted By: d2reid

Re: Idaho brief tour - 07/23/13 04:37 PM

We didn't travel through the southern part of Idaho, just I-90 in the north part.

If you get to Wallace Idaho, I-90 near the Montana state line, you can be at the center of the universe; they have a sign at the center town proclaiming the "Center of the Universe".

We found Coeur d'Alene, ID to be a nice area, but didn't get to do much exploring, we were busy climbing in the Q'Emlin park near Post Falls.

I am pretty sure Silver Mountain Ski resort in Kellog, ID has ski lift and zip lining, I know for a fact that the pub at the base of the ski lift has a good selection of beers. And for a rare treat you can order Buffalo Rocky Mountain Oysters.

If you can stretch your legs far enough NE I would highly recommend Glacier National Park. That is destination worthy of it's own trip.

Re: Idaho brief tour - 11/14/13 08:34 PM

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/chizzbucket/IMG_0106.jpg

Thanks again for all the tips - we had a magic tour Boise, Idaho City,Stanley,Salmon River - over to Yellowstone back to Boise via craters of the moon twin falls - great roads great people - we will be back. Xts next time i hope !

Chizz
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group