Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

Grip glue

Posted By: Qwazert

Grip glue - 05/04/17 08:44 PM

I bought a new set of pillow-top grips a few weeks back, and I'm having a heckuva time getting them to stick!!!
In the past, I've used dish soap with amazing success...didn't work.
Others suggested hair spray...didn't hold (pardon the pun).
My next option is some spray adhesive.

What do others use when you don't have grip glue?
Posted By: peejman

Re: Grip glue - 05/05/17 01:57 PM

I had the same problem, the clutch side grip wouldn't stick the heavy knurling on the bar. Grip glue solved it. The local shop had a small tube for something like $2. I'd think most any general epoxy rated for steel and rubber would work. Else there's always safety wire.
Posted By: Qwazert

Re: Grip glue - 05/05/17 02:17 PM

Well the spray adhesive made a mess of things....luckily I was able to clean it ALL off with solvent!
Tried some rubber cement and that seemed to do the trick, then I watched a video on how to PROPERLY use tie-wire on handgrips, so I gave that a whirl.
Now it looks like these babies aren't coming off until I tell them to!
Posted By: Selden

Re: Grip glue - 05/09/17 07:06 PM

Use hair mousse, preferably the "extra hold" flavor. The grip will slide and adjust easily when wet, but after 24 hours the mousse dries and the grip is securely stuck — but, since it's water soluble, not too difficult to unstick if the need arises.
Posted By: Bandit

Re: Grip glue - 07/24/17 01:21 AM

I put a set of Pillow Tops on today and used hair spray.The grips would not have slid on without a lubricant as they were such a tight fit.If the hair spray loosens I will just use a grip glue.I have had hair spray stay put and not stay put on different bikes.
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group