DIY XT-225 valve adjust

Posted by: klm4755

DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 02:55 AM

Enclosed is a step by step process for conducting a valve adjustment on a Yamaha XT-225. The Bike in the photoís is my 2005 model. Make sure the bike is in neutral, fuel shut off, and is cold (not ran in the past ~8 hours). Please feel free to add to the steps with you tips, tricks, and tribal knowledge for the benefit of all!

Remove side covers, Phillips head screw driver required.

Remove seat. 10 mm socket + rachet works best

Looks like this now

tank side covers next, 10 mm + socket with 4" extension, pull away from tank to release attach stake

covers off

Unhook fuel line from tank

use rag to catch dripping gas

Tank bolt next 10mm size

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 02:55 AM

this bracket may lift with the tank. That is ok

If lifted

Tank attach parts

tank with attach parts off

Make sure tank valve is not supporting tank weight, let overhang like this

Need to remove this plug

need to remove this plug also

Almost ready to remove valve cover, need allen socket head

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 02:56 AM

Start on right side of bike, 5x bolts, all of same size (diameter and grip length), so ok to mix up. Front cover houses exhaust valve, rear cover houses intake valve. Trying first bolt on exhaust side. 3x on exhaust, 2x on intake

First bolt on intake side.

not enough clearance to use socket setup for other 3x bolts, so must use allen key.

exhaust cover off

intake cover off

All engine access parts off, will inspect later

Intake valve closeup

Attach 17mm socket to this bolt, use small 4" extension

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 02:57 AM

Like this, rotate Anti-clockwise while looking in the view port hole

look here

these are the 3 radial groves on the flywheel, the one in the middle is top dead center (TDC), however a four stroke engine may read bottom dead center ( Iím not that sure about this statement). However, it is not important. What is important is to check the exhaust gap while you have the center groove visible. If you can get a .003" feeler gage in the gap your at TDC. If not rotate the flywheel another 360 degrees anti-clockwise and check the gap. This time it will be there. So, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. By the way donít use the rachet function on your tool. Once you see the flywheel notches, just spin your tool one full revolution to see notches again!

Need specifications for valve gaps. Do exhaust first .006 to .007 inch

Need right feeler gages

Exhaust gap

Too big needs adjustment, can easily fit .007 inch gage

Need valve tool. Some folks use needle nose. I found this tool make job a lot easier. Use 3mm side. It will hold the valve adjust bolt steady while you tighten the valve lock bolt.

[ July 08, 2006: Message edited by: klm4755 ]

[ July 08, 2006: Message edited by: klm4755 ]

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 02:57 AM

loosen lock bolt with 10mm open end socket, adjust valve with tool, check with feeler gage. One gap is correct, Hold valve steady with valve tool and tighten lock nut. Donít let valve spin with locknut. This is where the tool is handy!

Need to tighten lockbolt with torque wrench 10 ft*lbs, but torque wrench will not fit so.....

Use this!

Torque wrench in action

feeler gages for intake. Gap between .002-.004 inch Only had a .002 and .003 inch. Will work.

Gap too big, need to adjust

adjusting intake valve

tighten intake

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 02:58 AM

torque locknut

torque wrench on intake valve

Inspect exhaust valve cover, seals look good

inspect intake valve cover, OK too

Clean valve cover interface

put covers back on

flywheel cover back on

torque the 2x right side allen cover screws intake and exhaust 7.2 ft*lbs. Other 3x will need to be attached by allen key, no room for torque wrench.

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 02:59 AM

Other side

seat on

use torque wrench 5 ft*lbs

attach fuel like hook up, side covers, seat

All buttoned up! Ready to test ride. Results -No pings thru any of the throttle/gear ranges.
Posted by: Reggie

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 04:18 AM

Hi Chaps,

who needs a Haynes or Clymer workshop manual when we've got KLM?

Well done Good Sir and keep up the fantastic work.
Posted by: Dj7177

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 06:34 AM

Great post,

Just one thing though.
Shouldn't the crank be rotated Anti-Clockwise and NOT Clockwise?

Regards,
Dave
Posted by: danno

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 07:30 AM

Want more midrange? close the intake valve sooner. How wider gap(within the spec) will change the duration of cam on the intake. With a compression tester you can see the added pressure(static) You dont need to do the wrench on the crank thing. High gear can be used to bump the engine around. Exhaust open then intake open and close is compression.I still like the ol thumb on the spark plug hole and puchhhh. I think I might be on compression. Once I can obtain a compression tester I will share my results. Really cool step by step. The cam chain (should be able to withstand backwards cranking)but not recommended.

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 02:21 PM

I edited the original post with your comments.
Thanks!
Keith
Posted by: Moto Psycho

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 03:18 PM

Keith... Great post. Very well laid out and detailed. I've never really worked on a motorcycle, other than oil changes and other simple stuff, but with instructions like this, I think I might give the valve job a try....
Posted by: Randy

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 03:21 PM

For what it is worth, you can make a 3mm square hole in some handy piece of metal by drilling a 1/8" hole and then square it with a square needle file. Took me 10 minutes to make an acceptable valve holding wrench.

I thinks we have a few good procedures by now, is it time to have a Tech section where the procedures are stored?
Posted by: jay

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 05:37 PM

AWESOME post, except for one thing. why must you keep showing me close ups of that wonderful, marvelous custom seat of yours?

you demented son of a gun !!!
Posted by: Cigar Mike

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/06 06:17 PM

Scott

I think Randy has a good idea. Possibly have it on the Home Page under Service and Repairs?

klm4755, great job.

Cigar Mike

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/09/06 03:30 PM

Jay,
Why......I had not even noticed that my custom, wide, plush, Monkey butt free XT-225 seat just so happens to be shown in all my posts. Gloating is just not my style! hehehehe

Is this the seat you speak of?
[IMG]
Keith
Posted by: jay

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/09/06 04:36 PM

LOL, you rascal.
Posted by: Muniac

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/09/06 08:40 PM

Mike - I agree. KLM did a fine job here and put in a lot of work which helps us all. KLM if you would, please send me a CD of all the pics numbered in the sequence you presented them on the BBS. I'll create an HTML page for archive in service with credits from you. Include name. I'll also pay your shipping and the cost of the CD. Thanks again for the value added. Many hands make light work.
Posted by: TEXASXT225

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/10/06 12:36 AM

KLM,

I have found all of your posts to be very informative, well documented and organized. This piece of work is your best yet as far as I'm concerned. I have only one teeny suggestion: change the title from "XT-225 valve adjust for dummies" to "XT-225 valve adjust for those technically challenged individuals who probably have other personal attributes that should justify their existence on the planet".

Having said that, I'm rounding up the tools right now to start the job.
Posted by: RideOrDie

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 05/23/07 01:53 AM

I just looked at the pretty pictures, drooled on myself after seeing what a real seat looks like, & shortly after feel asleep dreaming of Valve jobs.hahahhaha

Excellent JOb!
Posted by: Mikuni

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 05/28/07 04:13 AM

Geez, I'm impressed. Thanks for the trouble you went to. I will definitely look through this several times.
Posted by: Toad225

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 05/28/07 06:24 AM

Thanks KLM!!! Wow!! Great! I can do it! Thank you so much!! Just got my used 2004 XT225 with 2700 miles on it. Don't think it's ever had a valve adjustment. In the week that I've had it, I have done the Z1 exhaust mod, turned pilot screw 3 turns out, and needed to replace seals in the fuel petcock. BTW KLM, I am in need of tires, what kind of tires are you using? They look mostly street/pavement which is more of what I need. Also, what luggage rack/side bags do you have? Thanks again!!
Posted by: Toad225

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 05/28/07 04:30 PM

Hey KLM, got another question. When you torque the valve lock bolts, aren't you concerned that the valve adjust bolt will turn just a hair? I am thinking that the valve tool will not fit when you torque the lock bolts, right? Thanks!
Posted by: meatball476

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 05/29/07 08:01 PM

It appears you did not need to remove spark plug?(the manual suggests to make turning ratchet easier)

Off subject-I purchased a large bottle of slime, but the instructions say for all tubless tires. The XT is tubed?

If you put the bike on a stand should you remove the skid plate?
Posted by: RickMJr

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/10/07 05:20 AM

Wow, great thread! I adjusted my valves and it was easy. I hope you don't mind but I modified your instructions just a little (even added a couple of pictures) and created a PDF document. Can I upload this for everyone?
Posted by: joelberg

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/10/07 07:21 AM

Sounds like it would be helpful to me!

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/13/07 02:15 AM

OK, here's the PDF DIY valve adjustment instructions:
DIY XT 225 Valve Adjustment.pdf
Enjoy!
Posted by: 2007_XT225

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 10/13/07 03:14 AM

Did my first valve adj. today. Went well thanks to your tutorial.

At 360 miles the intake was fine and the exaust was little over one thousandths off.

I screws up only once during the whole process...I got that vacuum hose on the wrong side of the petcock, when putting the gas tank back on. Easy fix...just had to disconnect the fuel line and lift the tank up a bit and push the hose in its proper route.

Oh, I used a large coin (quarter) for the 2 round plastic plugs instead of a large flat blade screwdriver.

thanks keith.
Posted by: Sonja & Gael

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 10/20/07 01:52 PM

Thanks KLM, that made it a breeze. Only took 30 minutes for the whole job.

At 1800 miles both valves were within the range.

Gael

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 10/21/07 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Sonja & Gael
Thanks KLM, that made it a breeze. Only took 30 minutes for the whole job.

At 1800 miles both valves were within the range.

Gael

No problem, Glad I could help.
Keithm
Posted by: drsogr

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 06/08/08 03:58 PM

KLM thank you for the tutuorial, it really did help. I did not have to make any adjustments, which is nice. Just a point to take note. The intake valve cover can be put on the wrong way. The way it is pictured is correct. Doesn't seem to work very well the wrong way either!
Posted by: Drij

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 06/23/08 11:33 PM

It was an awesome guide!! Thanks so much!! I do have a service manual but it doesn't carry enough visuals and often it sounds complicated. You just saved me a good $200 on the easy side!! Thanks again!
Posted by: Tecpatl4

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 06/28/08 08:59 PM

OH wow that was pretty doggone easy. The exhaust valve was just barely within limits, but the intake was at .0015. I reset it about .003, and it seems to give me more power. I took a look at the carb and it is still plugged, but I left it alone as I don't seem to be having any problems starting up. I changed the oil at 400 miles, because the bike had been sitting for a while. It's a 2006, I bought it about a month ago and it only had 120 miles on it. The old oil looked like it might have had some water in it. I've got 990 on it now and the oil is black again, so I'm going to change it next week and do all the filters and stuff too. I also had to tighten the chain two notches on the adjuster. Otherwise everything is just right.

I've also added the tool tube and I'll post pics in a week or so, I bought a rack from bryanswens,and i'm going to use paint on bedliner I think, and get it mounted next week. I just ran out of time this week with funerals and fencebuilding and maple trees growing in the gutters on the house.
Posted by: 522tx

PDF for XT-225 valve adjust ? - 07/08/08 08:30 PM

Can someone direct me to the PDF for the valve adjust instructions? The link to it above appears to be dead.
Posted by: TEXASXT225

Re: PDF for XT-225 valve adjust ? - 07/08/08 08:43 PM

Here is the link for the valve adjust:

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=10243&fpart=1
Posted by: 522tx

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/08/08 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: RickMJr
OK, here's the PDF DIY valve adjustment instructions:
Enjoy!

Does anyone have an active link to this PDF made by RickMJr?

Thanks.
Posted by: doxbike

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/09/08 03:33 AM

here's a good one

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=26674&fpart=1
Posted by: ledzep

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/19/08 06:52 AM

Thank you!!

I don't think the original owner ever adjusted them. 11500 miles now.

Will do tomorrow maybe then I can ride a wheelie not just pop a small one for half a second?

The problem might be finding some clearance gauges locally...

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/19/08 05:40 PM

Sorry for the double post, can't see how to edit (expired?).

Anywho the thought crossed my mind while I was sleeping (happens a lot), do you think I could get some feelers at checker auto parts? Are they all universal meaning one that would work on a car would work on a bike? I would think the car one might be bigger or different, maybe not, I dunno. I'm no expert!
Posted by: Road Rash

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/19/08 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ledzep
Sorry for the double post, can't see how to edit (expired?).

Anywho the thought crossed my mind while I was sleeping (happens a lot), do you think I could get some feelers at checker auto parts? Are they all universal meaning one that would work on a car would work on a bike? I would think the car one might be bigger or different, maybe not, I dunno. I'm no expert!

Any auto parts store should have what you need . or a Sears with a tool department or even a Walmart automotive department

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/19/08 09:49 PM

Awesome! Thank you. I was worried I might have to go to the dealer which is far out. I will head over to checker tonight.
Posted by: pepsiguy32

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/21/08 07:20 PM

what is the TDC marking for the 2006 xt225...i have a wide H followed by a single verticle line....which one is is?

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/21/08 07:22 PM

i have a 2006 xt225...is it good to set intake valve at .003?

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/22/08 09:56 PM

I have a 2001 with the wide H then the single line. I assumed the second line on the "H" was the middle line. If so my valves were all correctly set with no need to adjust.

My wheelie problem, come to find out, is my clutch slipping. It's toast.

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/29/08 08:40 AM

tdc is the single line after the wide H

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 08/02/08 11:43 PM

Ohhhhh. Think I should redo it then?
Posted by: raceman

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 12/06/08 08:12 PM

Great post. One thing to consider when doing a valve adjustment on most ANY motor.lf you rev the snot out of the motor__set the valves LOOSE in spec. lf you NEVER reach redline,set them on the TIGHTER side of spec. This is basic engineering,however there are exeptions but in my opinion in reference to the XT225 this is a standard to abide by.Basic stuff here but l add this because in my early days as a hangaround at the local tuner shop l once imparted my speculation to the legendary gurus that tighter valve specs made "more sense". l learned much from the old guns.
Posted by: 07xt225

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 02/20/09 03:43 PM

I have heard that if you take the spark plug out it will help with the turning of the crank......
Just a thought....

sdhead
Posted by: Ramblin66

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 07/09/10 04:56 PM

So.. what use is a torque spec if there's not enough room for the torque wrench? Silly...

Great write up.. Easy job..

Thanks.!
Posted by: Ace420

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 10/08/10 08:08 PM

Keith, I wanted to thank you for putting together such an amazing set of instructions on adjusting valves. I was extremely intimidated about doing this job, but after seeing your photos and reading your explanation I thought the job looked pretty easy. I spent about an hour this morning adjusting the valves on my bike, and I have to say it was much easier then I thought.

Thanks again....now to go out for a test ride.

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 04/21/11 04:05 AM

OK, here's a new link to the PDF DIY valve adjustment instructions:
Enjoy!
Posted by: nextlife

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 10/07/13 05:28 AM

This is great, i'm going to do this very soon just one thing... really sorry for my ignorance but I don't understand one part in the instructions:

"these are the 3 radial groves on the flywheel, the one in the middle is top dead center (TDC), however a four stroke engine may read bottom dead center ( Iím not that sure about this statement). However, it is not important. What is important is to check the exhaust gap while you have the center groove visible. If you can get a .003" feeler gage in the gap your at TDC. If not rotate the flywheel another 360 degrees anti-clockwise and check the gap. This time it will be there. So, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. By the way donít use the rachet function on your tool. Once you see the flywheel notches, just spin your tool one full revolution to see notches again!"

When I am rotating the flywheel and the three notches come into view, where am I using the .003" feeler gage? Is the exhaust gap you're talking about the hole with the flywheel? Can someone give me a little better instructions here - like you were talking to a baby. Would really appreciate it

Cheers
D
Posted by: American Greenz

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 10/08/13 05:48 PM

Valve Adjustment Procedures with Photos
http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=97006&page=1
http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=10228&nt=5&page=1
Posted by: Selden

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 04/18/16 12:39 AM

Thanks to Keith, many years ago, for the excellent write-up. I got tired of chasing down broken links to PDF versions, so I downloaded the entire thing this afternoon, cleaned it up, corrected a few typos, and have made it publicly available as a PDF on my Google Drive space: DIY XT225 Valve Adjustment.

Access is set to anyone with the link, with no restrictions on downloading.

One additional comment: if you aren't practiced with using feeler gauges, a set of Go-No-Go feeler gauges can be a great asset.

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 04/18/16 04:18 PM

Selden - Thanks for doing this. I appreciate the time and effort required. It's good to have people put something back into the site's information base. I can put a copy of this on the XT server so it remains permanent.
Posted by: Selden

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 04/18/16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Muniac
Selden - Thanks for doing this. I appreciate the time and effort required. It's good to have people put something back into the site's information base. I can put a copy of this on the XT server so it remains permanent.

Putting a copy on the XT225 server would be great. While I think of my copy as "permanent," I could be run over by a SUV tomorrow. Institutional memory is always preferable to individual efforts.

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 04/19/16 07:56 PM

OK I got a copy of it on my PC. Now I can upload it to the XT server and setup a link. Just need to know what credits to put there?? Thanks again.
Posted by: cogitech

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 06/30/16 04:15 PM

Thanks to all who have contributed to this set of instructions over the course of this thread.

I checked and adjusted my valve clearances last weekend based on this thorough set of instructions.

I am very glad I did this. The exhaust was at .009" and the intake was at .006".

Sounds way better now, and I am sure it runs better, too.
Posted by: justin_lewis

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 03/12/17 01:34 AM

Quick question. I just did my valve adjustment on a 2006...when you are finding TDC on my flywheel there is an elongated H like this (|--|) and then a space and one more |.

From reading through this whole thread I just want to confirm that TDC on mine is the second |. Not the middle |, which would be the second half of the elongated H.

Just changed the oil, put new valve o-rings in, and adjusted the valve. Hopefully leaving Guatemala tomorrow and heading towards El Salvador. Just turned 19,000 on my xT.

Justin
Posted by: patuca

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 03/12/17 07:47 AM

Hi Justin:

On most bikes like XTs (rotor on the left of the engine) the rotor turns counter-clockwise and there are usually 3 marks.

As you turn the rotor CCW the first mark that lines up is the "full advance" mark. This is the point where the bike would fire at high rpms, and in this case the spark happens early (advanced) and well before TDC because the burning takes time and the piston is moving fast. The full-advance position is usually 20 or 30 degrees before TDC and if you put a timing light on as the engine was running, the light would strobe at that mark (or near) as the engine was revved.

As you turn the rotor further CCW you come to the "Static firing point" (sometimes marked "F" for fire) and this is the point where the ignition is advanced only slightly for idle speed or if the bike was timed not running (static timing) with a test-bulb or meter. This point is the left part of the "H". This mark is usually about 8 degrees before TDC and this is the maximum retarded position and the base setting for ignition.

The last mark (the furthest right leg of the "H") is the true TDC where the piston is at the very top and it is sometimes marked "T".

On CDI bikes the marks are mostly ignored because the timing is set by the stator position and CDI electronics. Most manuals specify setting the valves at TDC because it's an easy referance but anywhere close will work too.

I hope that helps...good luck in El Salvador.

patuca
Posted by: justin_lewis

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 03/12/17 01:42 PM

"The last mark (the furthest right leg of the "H") is the true TDC where the piston is at the very top and it is sometimes marked "T"."

Patuca, I am bit confused by this statement. So based on this TDC would be the middle |, which is the far right leg of the |--|. Others in this thread have stated that in my 2006 it should be the second solo | after the |--|.

I guess the reason I am asking is cause when I first adjusted the valves the other day I did use the far right | of the |--|, but when I fired up the bike it was clacking very hard. I opened the valves back up and the space was huge. I let the bike cool back off for a few hours and readjusted. This time using the solo | thinking that was the correct TDC. Started the bike up and it sounded much better. Just trying to confirm.

I am assuming if my valves were a bit off the bike would start or run rough.

Thanks!
Justin
Posted by: peejman

Re: DIY XT-225 valve adjust - 03/12/17 04:14 PM

I think the width of the |--| corresponds to the cam lobe dwell at TDC. Anywhere in there is fine. If yours made lots of noise, you probably were one rev off from TDC when you did the valves. Both valves have clearance at TDC on the compression/power stroke. You should feel the resistance when approaching it. If only 1 valve has clearance, rotate the crank 1 more full revolution and check again.