Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

Greetings from Northern California

Posted By: Norcalfisher

Greetings from Northern California - 02/01/23 01:20 AM

Hello,
New to the site but not to motorcycles. I’ve been riding/wrenching on motorcycles and autos for over 30 years now. I purchased my first motorcycle, a used Kawasaki KE100, at age 12. I’ve owned many different types and sizes of bikes over the years. I currently own a Suzuki DR200SE and recently purchased a couple of relatively clean, low-mileage XT225’s. A 2001 with ~1400 miles and a 2006 with ~500 miles.
I’ve spent a fair amount of time camping, riding and fishing in and around the Sierra Nevada in Northern California. After owning and riding larger bikes like a WR450F and DRZ400 in this type of environment, I’ve found I prefer smaller, relatively lightweight bikes with a lower seat height like the XT225 and DR200. As much as I appreciate the little DR, which has been exceptionally reliable and has taken me to many remote areas and back again without so much as a hiccup(knock on wood), I was left wanting for a sixth gear. After some research, the XT225 ended up near the top of my list. I found a relatively good deal for my area on a pair of XT225’s and look forward to (hopefully) many backcountry miles on them.
I’ve done a fair amount of browsing on this site and have found it to be an excellent resource for the few issues I’ve been working on ironing out on my recent acquisitions. I apologize for the somewhat lengthy introduction and look forward to being a part of the community.
Posted By: peejman

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/01/23 02:52 PM

Welcome!
Posted By: flyinhawaiian968

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/01/23 04:08 PM

Welcome! Gotta ask, care to share some info on fishing poles you take with you on your trips? I too am an avid fisherman here in Idaho, but I don't see a way to bring my cherished custom 1-piece rod on the bike with me, lol! As much as I hate the idea, I've been looking at telescopic rods for doing stream fishing while out riding the backcountry.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/01/23 09:57 PM

Thanks peejman and flyinhawaiian968!

@flyinhawaiian968 - I too looked at telescopic rods but decided to go with a sectional travel rod. I have the Daiwa Presso Travel Rod in 6’ length. It’s a 4 piece ultralight, fast rod that I carry in a daypack size backpack. The overall quality is impressive for it’s price point. I mostly stream fish as well and this is my go-to rod. It’s no custom 1-piece lol!, but it has excellent sensitivity and a bit of backbone for when you get into something a bit larger than typical stream sized trout.

I also have a Fenwick Eagle Travel Rod in medium fast 6’6” that I use for larger water. It’s relatively lightweight and has a surprisingly sensitive tip for a medium rod. It’s been years, but I recall driving through Ketchum up through Salmon on a road trip. Beautiful country up there. Unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to fish, but from the looks of it I imagine the fishing is excellent. Good luck in your search and tight lines.
Posted By: flyinhawaiian968

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/02/23 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info, Norcalfisher! The Daiwa looks like the perfect rod for the bike! Gonna have to get one of them and try it out. This will definitely be used mostly for stream fishing, ie., brook trout and rainbows around my area. I'm south near Boise but plan on doing some overnight and maybe a couple of 3-7 day camping trips (trying to do the Idaho BDR soon) up north. No, it won't be on the XT, I think that would be a rough one for the old girl, highway riding for a few hours at 65+mph would probably kill her!!!

Okay, I think I'm done hijacking your thread and turnin' it into a fishing discussion! Sorry 'bout that and again, welcome aboard! The guys here really do know the XT bikes well, you're in good hands here!!! And with your skills, I think you too will become a good asset for the forum!

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/02/23 08:25 PM

You’re welcome flyinhawaiian968. For the type of fishing you’ve described, I imagine you’ll likely be very pleased with the Daiwa rod. I certainly am, lol! Something worth mentioning- The larger sizes (6’6” and up) are rated at 2-8 lb while the 6’ and shorter rods are rated at 1-6 lb IIRC.

I hear you about sustained riding at 65+mph on these little XT’s. From my limited experience with these bikes, it seems my XT with stock gearing is most comfortable highway cruising around an indicated 55mph and not much more than that. It sounds like you’ve got some potentially great trips planned! Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Posted By: Rusty3

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/04/23 03:28 PM

Greetings and welcome from a bit further north!
I think you and I carry the same four pc. Daiwa rod. If you ever make it to Crescent City (20 miles from Oregon & a rock throw from the Ocean), look me up. It would be a pleasure to show you around our beautiful mountain lakes, pristine rivers and streams.
Posted By: Muniac

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/04/23 05:22 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive intro and kind words about this site. Welcome and ride safely.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/04/23 07:34 PM

Thanks Rusty3 and Muniac.

@Rusty3- I appreciate the offer and I’ll certainly keep it in mind! I’ve been up near your area, but it’s been quite a while. I did some backpacking and fishing in the Marble Mountains. We also camped on the Smith(or was it the Scott?) river. Beautiful area and the fishing was great. May have even caught some coastal rainbows, IIRC. Would love to make it up there again at some point.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/05/23 04:26 PM

How far are you from the Eldorado NF? I believe that's home to the Rubicon OHV trail. Been years since we were there.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/05/23 05:08 PM

I believe your right, Muniac. I’m in Santa Rosa, which is probably around 5 hours drive to the Tahoe side staging area of the Rubicon OHV. I grew up in Nevada City, which is somewhere around 2 1/2 hours drive from there. I recently watched a YouTube video of a fellow who rode the Rubicon trail (or at least part of it) on an XT225. It was impressive how well the little XT fared.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/07/23 04:05 PM

Thanks. We rode in from both ends when we were there spanning several days. Going in as far as we could go. The goal was to connect the routes in the middle either by bike or on foot. The trail is very difficult so the biking approach was cut short. The middle unexplored section was too great a distance to hike. I recall that trail being tinder dry with plumes of dust billowing just by stomping your foot. There was talk of that trail getting shut down. Lots of oil stains on the slick rock areas from smashed oil pans. Then a small group was bitching about bathroom problems. The Forest Service is great at managing land by closure. If given a chance and some solution based thinking people find ways to fix problems. The Rubicon Trail Foundation is a good example. We have similar issues out here with our high country recreational assets. Many in our OHV communities pitch in to help out. The ones I've spoken with say the government is difficult to deal with (dishonest & deceptive). Even when extending an olive branch. Go figure.

As for the Rubicon Trail, I can't say it was one of our better trail rides. We found much better riding in Torrey, UT and Stanley, ID, for example. Regardless the Rubicon Trail is perhaps the most famous OHV area in the world. I hope it's cared for well, remains open and provides enjoyment for those able to tackle it.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/08/23 10:26 PM

I haven’t ridden on the Rubicon Trail, but have been on part of it in a vehicle (Toyota FJ40). We entered from the Tahoe side, went down Cadillac Hill and camped at the river. I remember thinking about what it might be like to ride it as we drove along, often very slowly. I recall seeing lots of oil stains as well. It’s understandable you decided to opt out of riding it. I remember some sections that looked exceptionally difficult to do on a bike.

It’s been my experience as well that, if given the opportunity, people can and often do find ways to keep our public lands accessible. There is a relatively extensive network of multi-use trails on National Forest land near where I grew up that was threatened with closure years back. Members of the local OHV, mountain biking and equestrian communities managed to work together, despite their differences, and found a solution that has allowed the trails to remain open to this day. Hopefully solutions will continue to be found that will help keep our public lands open for all of us to enjoy.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/09/23 04:28 PM

It's important for people to put differences aside, unite and focus on solutions. With that strength good things can get done. Back in NJ we had tons of problems with the NY/NJ hiker groups and mountain bikers. Hikers would sabotage trails by putting obstacles around blind curves. It's funny because the mountain bikers built and maintain many miles of trails. When volunteer trail maintenance days came, not one hiker would show up and pitch in. As for the government, environmental pressure groups threaten to sue the government over land usage. One trick is the government declaring land as a wilderness study area which essentially locks out everyone. As for state and federal lands, it's good for everyone to remember these are taxpayer funded. Which should allow any and all to have a voice in their usage. That said, people do stupid things.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
This places HUGE demands on rescue services.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
No business driving this vehicle on 4WD high clearance roads.

Our alpine roads here are threatened. Side by sides are the biggest problem now. Over crowding is another problem as people pile in. Last season we killed 4 people in 1 week with OHV accidents. Dirt bikes are somewhat limiting as there is a skill level required. I've not seen them to cause problems as most are pretty good riders. One day we might just learn to get along and connect with sustainability.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/11/23 05:42 PM

‘It's important for people to put differences aside, unite and focus on solutions.’

I agree. This is likely the best, if not the only, chance we have at keeping our public lands open and accessible. Some of the backcountry areas I frequented in the past I no longer visit. Overcrowding, restrictions due to environmental impact issues, land misuse, trash etc. have lead to a less than enjoyable experience for me in those areas.

I saw a video a while back of a Jeep that had rolled down a portion of Black Bear Pass, IIRC. The area looked very similar to that in the photos you posted. As I understand it, occurrences like this and those in the photos shown above are not uncommon.

I’ll try and continue to play my small, seemingly insignificant part in respecting this land we are fortunate enough to have the freedom to use (though limited to some extent, understandably). I’m aware there are many others who do the same and sometimes much more. Though the future can appear bleak for some areas, I try and remain optimistic, at least for the time being.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/11/23 09:18 PM

This accident shown in on the Black Bear Road (Telluride side). The Jeep accident you referred was serious. A fellow stopped to assist another OHV user and his Jeep rolled over the edge. He forgot to properly secure the vehicle for whatever reason. The female passenger sustained serious injuries. The Video of the accident was taken from another Jeep below. Near miss for them. Black Bear is somewhat of a trophy trail which attracts all sorts of nonsense. It's threatened as I write given problems for search and rescue. Ironic since hikers create the same if not more issues when they wander off, get lost and/or get killed.

Over the decades of outdoor activities, I've seen nothing good come from crowds. Less people less trouble is a sad fact. We're about 45 minutes from the north San Juan Mountains and have traveled thousands of miles on the roads/trails up there. Many areas are private mining claims left over from yesteryear. Recently people tear down No Trespassing signs and remove barricades then camp like it's public land. Never a problem just a few years ago. This has understandably pissed off land owners. There has been commercialization of areas up there which the land was never intended for. Two of these went 4 years and are now up for sale. The eyesores remain, however.

We also used to enjoy BC skiing. Now you see trash, piss and dog sh*t around which isn't why we go out. You're lucky to get a parking space now as weekend warriors invade from Denver. We'll go during the week when things calm down to a dull roar. Some of our hiking trails are mobbed to the extent of requiring a pass. Just a few years ago this wasn't required. Back in 2010, we could disappear in the mountains and not see anyone. Those cherished days are gone now. I'm not sure there is a solution to solving the crowding problem. The government takes away land when more people want access. Human caused fires are another BIG problem. When conditions are dry we get stage 1 fire restrictions which means no campfires!! Jeannie and I did a two mile hike a couple of years ago and saw 8 illegal campfires! People just do whatever the f*ck they want. We have a lot of old mining history in the mountains. If that burns up, it's gone forever.

Now the place is wallpapered with all sorts of signs warning people of the hazards of back country travel. Another eyesore to pass by on your way in. In our area, if something isn't done to curb nonsense, deaths and impacts we'll lose access. Try to pad the world from idiots and a better idiot will evolve. I too try to remain optimistic but it ain't easy sometimes with what's crawling around out there.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/13/23 06:39 PM

The video you linked looks like the same one I remember seeing. Very serious indeed.

I can relate to much of what you wrote in regards to the current state of many of our backcountry areas. Many of those same or similar scenarios that you described are played out here in the Sierra Nevada. It really is an unfortunate reality.

Fortunately, there are still places where one can experience the backcountry much like it was years ago. It often requires some research and a willingness/capability to get farther off the beaten path, but they’re still out there , for now.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/13/23 07:37 PM

Yes that video was floating around on YouTube as I recall. Jeannie collects these memorable moments as we travel on those roads. Sadly idiots are also operating unguided missiles on our primary access roads @ 60+ MPH too. Tail gating, speeding and illegal passing are all common place. It's almost hard to believe but....... I see Harley riders with no helmet going 60 MPH tailgating a trailer with no view forward at night. Real hard men! We'll see how hard these men are when their head hits the pavement. Off road, I've seen solo riders on large adventure bikes with no helmets. As for the KTM 900 Adventure, if you drop that bike down slope it isn't possible to pick it up solo. I've laid the XT225 down (~ 270 Lbs) and it's a bitch getting its rubber side down. I'm originally from NJ and remember Bob Grant on AM talk radio. He'd end his show with the comment, "It's sick out there and getting sicker!" That was at least 30 years ago and had more vision than anyone realized at the time. Uncle Floyd on his TV show would say "Ridiculous but real!"

The last update (some years ago) I got on the Jeep accident was the girl was in a wheel chair paralyzed from the waist down. They thought she might recover but that outcome remained uncertain. It's a terrible price to pay for an OHV ride intended to be fun. The guy who filmed this was also pretty lucky he escaped injury.
Posted By: Az4x4

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/15/23 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Norcalfisher
..Hello, New to the site but not to motorcycles. I’ve been riding/wrenching on motorcycles and autos for over 30 years.....

Welcome to the XT group and our favorite site. Your years of experience finds you in good company here. Enjoy the site for all it's worth and ride safely wherever your trail leads..

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/18/23 01:51 AM

Thanks Az4x4, I appreciate the warm welcome. Safe riding as well.

@Muniac- I haven’t seen helmet-less riders around my area (different helmet laws, perhaps). I do frequently see riders wearing ‘skullcaps’ that appear to offer very little protection and occasionally see shirtless sport bike riders in shorts and flip-flops. The thought of toes hitting asphalt at speed is unpleasant to say the least.

I wasn’t aware that the girl in the Jeep became paralyzed. That really is terrible. I agree the guy who filmed it was fortunate. That was a close call. Stay safe out there.

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/18/23 05:09 PM

We always wore motocross style helmets to protect your teeth from stones getting kicked up. Motocross boots, knee pads and a padded Joe Rocket jacket. Always eye protection and a dust mask as required. Any emergency room doctor will tell you motorcycle accidents are the most serious they see. We were first responders to one watching a guy lay his theme bike down at 55 MPH. A bear jutted out in front which caused him to grab too much front brake. He laid the bike down. The bike slide down the center of the road and he went ass over heels and ended up in the middle of the road unconscious. Luckily no oncoming traffic. He did have a helmet on which was worn down to his head in one spot. He also had appropriate leather gear on. Which got torn up. I didn't appreciate being but in that position to save someone's life as I don't have the medical training. But we managed somehow to get him up and about and get his bike off the road and parked. Had he not been wearing a helmet, I'd guess his head would have been cracked open like an egg.

Helmet laws vary and currently CO has none. Some years back a fellow from Australia weighed in on this. He said the riding culture there includes a helmet which becomes part of the riding image. Anyone showing up without one is deemed an idiot and excluded from the group. Here we're still stuck on movies like the Wild Ones and Easy Rider.

Around here we get some real "doozies" both in terms of riders and accidents. I've also spoken with riders that are extremely responsible, safe, considerate, quiet and skilled. As always, ride safely.
Posted By: onceona50

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 02/25/23 09:18 AM

Welcome!

Re: Greetings from Northern California - 03/03/23 12:06 AM

Thanks onceona50!

It sounds like that fellow who went down was very fortunate that you were there to help, Muniac. I intend to ride motorcycles until I’m no longer able to. As far as proper riding gear, the pros far outweigh the cons for me. I admit that I do occasionally wear jeans and tennis shoes; usually when putting around camp in the dirt. I always wear a helmet without exception.
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group