Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

New Old Rider From OK

Posted By: Vinduroman

New Old Rider From OK - 04/15/19 07:06 PM

Hey all!

I'm an old rider (age 67) that began dirt riding shortly after the Civil War. :grin: (50 years as of this Spring!)

My current "primary" dual sport is a 2012 Yamaha WR250R that I purchased new in 2012. Great bike. Only a few things I don't particularly care for:

* VERY tall.

* Quite heavy (300 lbs) and seems the weight is way up high, so it feels even heavier during an "awkward stop" moment.

* Not too crazy about being out in the woods miles from the truck (or home) with a bike that depends on a fuel pump (EFI). Fuel pump quits: You're dead right there with no hope of finding/fixing the issue and limping home.

SO... I've spoken for a 2002 XT225 and I hope to be able to make the trip to pick it up later in the week.

I intend to keep my WR for use on what it does best (forest roads, backroads, some highway, log/access roads, moderate trails) and use the XT for exploring old trails, riding paddle-prone stuff, and such as that.

Once I take delivery of my "new" XT225, I suspect I'll have questions. A few years ago my wife owned a 2006 Yamaha XT225 that I rode some. The little Goat seemed very capable and it was a joy to have such a low seat height and it's paltry 238 lbs at a much lower center of gravity. I think I'm going to enjoy it a lot when I have it in its element.

Okay, all fer now.

Later!

Vinduroman
Posted By: Az4x4

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/15/19 07:51 PM

Welcome aboard Vinduroman! Good luck with your new to you XT225. These bikes are great as light weight go anywhere trail machines, as you know given your experience with the XT your wife had. The WR250R is a killer machine, but in a class altogether different from the XT, a bike that demands being ridden 'balls to the wall' to wring the most out of it. The light weight low seat height XT225 on the other hand is comfortably at home on rugged slow speed single track where 'paddling' along is simply part of the script!

And, hey, at 67 you're not all that old, at least not around these parts of the woods!

Enjoy the site and your 'new' bike, and ride safely!
Posted By: #brer15

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/15/19 10:53 PM

Welcome
Posted By: onceona50

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/15/19 10:59 PM

Welcome!
Posted By: peejman

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/17/19 01:56 PM

Welcome!
Posted By: Muniac

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/17/19 01:59 PM

Welcome to the site as a new USER. Enjoy and ride safely. Good luck taking delivery of your XT. Post on!

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/19/19 01:21 AM

Thanks for the welcome, all!

Az4x4:

Yes, the WR is at it's best when ridden aggressively. I'm no longer comfortable riding aggressively over technical stuff (rocks piles n' stuff). The price to pay for a mistake can be painful. SO... the XT will be my exploration/plonking bike. OH, and my wife has said she may come out of bike riding retirement and ride the XT on forest roads/etc with me when I'm on the WR!

All:

Made the 9 hour (drive time) round trip today to pick it up. It was owned by two different wives previously. Neither took to the sport of dual sporting. The husband of the second wife (second owner) parked it a corner of his machine shop, and there it has sat for two years. In spite of the dust, I saw immediately that I'd made a good find. (A 2002 model w/2300 miles on the odo!) On the way to the house I've already swung by the car wash and got two years of shop dust off of it. It looks essentially new. There are no dents on the tank, no dents/dings on the exhaust pipe and pipe shields (the header pipe looks almost new!) the plastic is still nice and clean (barring one small scratch on the front fender). Still has the factory rubber on it.

I will be cleaning the tank, cleaning the carb, putting on a new chain (the O-rings are dried and brittle on the current chain), and will have to charge or replace the battery. Looks like I might need to replace the gasket in the fuel petcock, too.

However, given the cosmetic condition and low miles, I think I did alright for $1200.

I don't readily see a way to attach a pic, or I'd share a pic of it.

I'll keep y'all posted once I get it running. (Hopefully sometime next week.) Tomorrow I'll be off to spend the day on my WR in the mountains!

Vinduroman

Posted By: Rick Mc

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/19/19 07:51 PM

Congrats on a great find!

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/19/19 09:10 PM

Nice find, don't forget new tires.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/19/19 11:13 PM

IF I have figured out this picture posting routine, you OUGHT to see a pic of it below right after it was loaded at the place of purchase, complete with two years of shop dust and cobwebs!

Note that even the exhaust header looks fresh.

Tires: There's tread left, but I'm thinking about replacing anyway.

FWIW: Just got back from my Yamaha shop with a new battery, oil, and while there ordered oil filter and chain. More expenditures ahead, I'm sure. Even if I add some farkles, it will still gonna' be way cheaper than some of the prices I was seeing for bikes that were not up to this condition.

All fer now.

Vinduroman

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 02:30 AM

Okay. The battery that was sold to me doesn't fit. The positive lead is too short to reach the top of the battery. I will be loading up the bike and the battery and taking them to the dealer in the morning so they can see for themselves.

Does anyone have a direct replacement for the XT225 battery as in mfg'er and part #?

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Vinduroman

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 11:37 AM

YTZ7S Yuasa

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 11:41 AM

I bought this one and itís a perfect fit. You can get cheaper off name batteries. The one the previous owner installed had much lower cranking amps.

Yuasa Battery

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Vinduroman
Okay. The battery that was sold to me doesn't fit. The positive lead is too short to reach the top of the battery. I will be loading up the bike and the battery and taking them to the dealer in the morning so they can see for themselves.

Does anyone have a direct replacement for the XT225 battery as in mfg'er and part #?

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Vinduroman

Iím not sure how a replacement battery could be too tall for the battery cable to reach the terminal. If the battery fits into the battery compartment, the cable should reach the battery terminal.
Posted By: Paul49

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 12:30 PM

FWIW: Just got back from my Yamaha shop with a new battery, oil, and while there ordered oil filter and chain. More expenditures ahead,

Vinduroman

Watch you get the correct oil filter for the 225, the one for the 250 fits but will trash your engine.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 12:39 PM

Thank you Rick and Paul.

The current battery is a press-fit into the cavity.

I will check further on why the cable is short. Perhaps a picture is in order.

Scary info about the oil filter. I HOPE they've ordered the correct one!!

Vinduroman

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 12:58 PM

Okay, here's a pic (below). Note the positive lead only comes up to the "+" printing on the side of the battery. There is no slack in the cable in which to pull it up to the terminal.

Anyone have a Yamaha part # for an XT225 oil filter? Thanks all for your help.

Vinduroman

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 01:26 PM

Take the lead from under the battery & position it at the front of the battery behind the strap.

What make & spec is that battery? The one Ric suggested is the best for starting power.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 08:09 PM

XT225 oil filter on the left. XT250 oil filter on the right.

Be very suspicious if they offer you a new crush washer with the filter. The 225 doesn't use one, the 250 does.

And I agree on the battery lead... pull it out from under the battery and it'll be long enough.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/20/19 09:19 PM

You have the picture posting routine figured out. Nice looking XT.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/21/19 12:34 AM

Update:

Got the battery issue sorted: Newbie parts guy sold me the wrong battery. I now have a battery with identical dimensions to the above Yuasa and 130 cranking amps w/2 year replacement warranty installed. Battery leads fit when a battery with the correct dimensions is installed!

Tank:

Horrid. Inside is one of the worst I've seen. Going to take it to the regional radiator shop to have it cleaned out.

Carb:

Not bad looking, but still needs cleaned. Perhaps kit it while I'm at it?

Petcock:

Rubber oval ring leaks. Going to purchase a gasket set for it and disassemble/clean/reassemble.

Electricals:

All electricals work: Hi/Lo beam, tail/brake light, signals, neutral light, horn, all of it. Starter cranks fine.

Intake manifold:

I see some cracking in the exterior rubber. I don't see any fissures on the inside diameter, though. I will see if replacements are still available.

Air filter:

Pretty clean, actually. Foam is still pliable and there is no crumbling (edges or otherwise). Clean/oil/install!

I have some parts already on order, and looks like I may need to add a couple more, depending on the carb and decision on the intake manifold.

Oil Filter:

Yamaha guy assures me he has a XT225 oil filter on the way. THANK YOU for that picture, I now know what to look for.

Vinduroman

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/21/19 03:29 AM

If you need the intake manifold, I bought this one and it comes with the O ring. Shipped very quickly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Carb...74/312166716896

Youíll probably need a new rubber cap for the vacuum port on it, item #25 here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/xt225-xt225w/intake

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/21/19 03:31 AM

Might as well order the O rings for the valve covers, theyíll be old and leak once you adjust the valves.

Item # 22 here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/xt225-xt225w/cylinder-head

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/22/19 02:43 AM

Thanks for the link to the intake. Purchased one. Vacuum rubber is still pliable and sealing.

Tank goes to the radiator shop tomorrow to get the inside particle blasted/cleaned. Carb was dropped off to get kitted as well as the fuel petcock for disassembly and ultra-sonic cleansed, then new gaskets.

Holding off on the rubber gaskets for the valve covers until time to adjust.

Once things start arriving, time to reassemble and try to fire it up.

Sure appreciate all the input!

Vinduroman

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 04/22/19 12:07 PM

Replace the fuel line and add an in-line fuel filter while you're at it. Have whoever is working on the carb set the mixture screw to 2.5-3 turns out.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 05:31 AM

Finally, parts are starting to arrive.

* Got my tank back from the radiator shop. Inside cleaned and coated with baked-on plastic.

* Got the carb back.

* Got that petcock back (ultra sound cleaned, gaskets installed). However, in the process the brass mesh cylindrical screens gave up the ghost, so I ordered a new petcock assembly. I want those mesh screens in place.

Still waiting on the chain and oil filter, and now a new petcock. All that SHOULD be in before week's end.

Tonight I reinstalled the carb, cleaned/oiled/reinstalled the air filter, adjusted the cables/etc.

Tomorrow I'm going to go get some fuel, reinstall the tank (w/current petcock for now), add a bit of fuel and see if I can get it to fire off.

Hope there will be zero issues and it will fire right up and purr like a kitten.

All fer now!

Vinduroman

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 07:45 AM

Good luck m8, sounding a proper job there.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 04:28 PM

Thanks Paul.

Need to make a quick trip to town to find those fiber washers that are used with the bolts to mount the petcock. (One was stuck on the original bolt and it broke trying to remove.)

The oil filter and chain should arrive this afternoon.

Oh yeah... have new fuel line (translucent) and new filter (both straight or 90 degree, depending which will fit better) to install in the fuel delivery line.

Hope to get it temporarily put back together after lunch and try to start it. IF the parts arrive this afternoon, I also hope to get the oil changed and chain later this afternoon. We shall see!

BTW: After the autumn foliage season this year, wife and I are already planning to rent a cabin in the Ozark Mountains (the Ozarks are regional for us), and ride the forest roads/etc for a couple of days. Got the idea from a YouTube acquaintance by watching his 4-part series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiLXXrSNZ_Q&t=915s

Hopefully, we'll see some elk, too!

Later gators!

Andre

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 04:41 PM

Great vid, thanks for posting that.

I wish we had space like that, we're full to busting & still piling them in.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 05:34 PM

Paul:

Leave the UK and move over the pond and join us Yanks! We're not that bad once you truly get to know us laid-back types.

grin

Andre

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 06:04 PM

Ha, love to but....family.

Why don't all Yanks live in those big open spaces? Seems crazy living all squashed up in Cities when ya don't have to.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 06:09 PM

Was wondering who did your carb work? Someone local to you, or did you ship it out to someone? And how much did it cost?

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 07:36 PM

It fired right up! (No smoke on start up, either!) Idle was too slow, but after setting the idle speed: Sat there and putt-putted smooth and easy as you please.

Flushed with success, I threw on the saddle and took it for a spin. My impressions:

* Very "snappy" off-idle. (i.e. Good response and torque.)

* Smooth power delivery well into the mid-range. (I didn't rev it out, way too early for that.)

* Suspension is softer (as expected) than my WR. However, at the forest road/trail cruise speeds I purchased this bike for, that is a plus. (Smoother ride at cruise speeds.)

* Feels like a feather. (60 lbs lighter and lower center of
gravity!)

* Speedo is sluggish. (Reads way too slow.) May need to pull the cable and lube it. Any recommendations?

I didn't ride it but maybe 3-4 miles, got concerned about the low fuel level (I just put a dab of fuel in it, for the tank will come back off and petcock replaced once the new one arrives), so I cut the ride short and returned to the house.

I think this little goat is going to do exactly what I purchased it for, and do it nicely: Exploring/plonking/forest roads at modest speeds. Plus, the added bonus that the wife may get back into dual sporting on account of it!

All fer now!

Vinduroman

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 07:51 PM

Brilliant, bet that put a grin on yer mush.

A warning on the speedo cable, I cleaned & lubed mine, it snapped., I thought it just snapped 'cos it was old, bought another, guy at wemoto said lube it, that snapped. Spoke to wemoto, guy said don't lube it, that one's done 3k miles & still fine. I queried this with SlinkyGlide, one said lube one said don't? I got an email back from Wemoto to say lightly lube with GT85. See email below.

Hi Paul,
Your email has come through to Wemoto, we manage slinky-glide.co.uk as
its exclusive UK supplier.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you - it is a much smaller team
that handles brand emails and we've had a few absences.

Slinky Glide cables have a polyamide coating on the inside. Though they
are pre-lubed, we always say it cannot hurt to lubricate them again
before installation and every now and then during the life of the cable
- 3M Teflon spray lube will do the trick. We recommend GT85.
I hope this helps.
Many thanks,

Daisy
Wemoto

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 08:17 PM

Thanks again Paul.

I shall pull headlight/number plate so I can get to the cable remove it and check to see if it has issues.

Wonder about the speedo head? A light shot of some type of lube into the receptacle to help the gears?

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 09:00 PM

'Nuther question:

Pulled the skid plate to find the drain plug. Ain't no such underneath. Is the oil drain plug the 19mm bolt down low on the left side?

Thanks.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/01/19 11:36 PM

The drain plug is on the left side. You need to remove the skid plate to access it. 19mm sounds about right. That plug is delicate so use a 6 point socket. You'll find a spring and cupped screen in there. The threads are fine and VERY EASY to get crossed when starting the plug back in. I use a short extension on the socket and start the plug carefully by hand. You'll need to push against the spring and get the plug perfectly square with the engine case. Feeling this by hand is best.

There are a few videos in the Learning Center on changing the oil. The engine takes 1.06 quarts. I always use full synthetic Mobil I oil. Good luck.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/02/19 12:37 AM

I have always just used 30w motor oil to lube the speedo cable.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/02/19 08:28 AM

Thanks again Paul.

I shall pull headlight/number plate so I can get to the cable remove it and check to see if it has issues.

Wonder about the speedo head? A light shot of some type of lube into the receptacle to help the gears?

V-man

I can't recall why at the mo' but I read somewhere, never to lube in a speedo head. Dunno if that applies to all speedo heads. There was a good reason.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/02/19 08:41 AM

When ya change the filter, there is a small O ring in one of the inner screw holes, watch it don't go awol.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/02/19 12:10 PM

Thanks again to all of you sharing your experiences with this model. Lots of little foibles.

Still waiting on the following parts to arrive in order to wrap this up:

* New chain.

* Oil filter.

* Petcock

* Two fiber washers for the petcock. (See below!)

* Need to check the speedo cable.

Taking forever. (Partly my fault, 'cause seems I would find the need of one part/item at a time.)

FWIW: Those little fiber washers that fit under the head of the bolt/screws that attach the petcock? How about $3.75 EACH. Couldn't match them up using alternate suppliers (auto parts, plumbing supplies, etc) here locally.

All fer now.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/02/19 03:38 PM

Where information is always hanging by a thread. Glad to see you making progress. You might be able to substitute a nylon washers for the petcock screws. Good luck and ride safely.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/05/19 08:37 PM

Did I mention that the speedometer was "sluggish", in that it only goes up to about 10-15 MPH even though I know I'm going faster?

Well, I loosened the front wheel speedo cable collar and pulled the cable from within the housing. The ends are different. See the attached photo:

The end that goes into the speedometer has a squared section, but I suspect it should have a swagged end piece ala' the wheel end.

Is this correct looking?

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/06/19 03:34 PM

The cable ends are a male square drive. The wheel end shoulder keeps the cable registered. It's correct. As for a diminished speed reading, your worm drive assembly could be slipping owing to too much friction in the cable. I've had the same issues with both bikes over the years. Remove the worm drive assembly, thoroughly clean it and repack with synthetic grease. Check its seal too. Treat yourself to a new cable. Install a rubber grommet in the cable guide wicket.

This all assumes the speedo itself is working. You can drive the cable with a cordless drill to check to make sure you get 0->60 MPH. Not calibrated but eliminates a possible hangup. Good luck.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/06/19 03:42 PM

Thanks Muniac!

I shall hop to it!

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/06/19 04:23 PM

Okay...

I think I've found it. Upon popping the clips/washers off that hold the speedo to the bracket, upon further investigation I discovered the knurled cap that's needed to hold the speedo cable housing securely to the speedometer itself was not screwed into place. (Loose within the rubber housing that covers same.) Apparently it had vibrated loose over time. Thus, the cable would not fully engage into the female receptacle within the speedometer. Inserting the cable into the receptacle, and tightening the knurled cap and spinning the cable with a drill spun the speedo dial up to about 40 MPH, the extent of the drill's RPM capability. So, I think the speedo itself is good to go.

While it's apart, I might as well flush the cable housing (there was a smelly, rusty looking liquid on the cable that even stains your fingers!) and lubricate the cable before reassembly.

Now, just HOW to reattach the speedo to the bracket is going to be a lesson in frustration, for I don't see a way to get my fingers in there to hold the washer in place to reinsert the cotter key clips!

I'm a'feared I'm going to have to figure out how to remove the entire instrument bracket in order to reinstall the speedo.

Can you say "domino effect"????

All fer now.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/07/19 02:02 AM

So I used aerosol carburetor cleaner to flush the goop from the cable housing, as well as clean the cable.

Ended up pulling the front wheel to look at the speedo drive only to find it was also infested with that nasty "liquid rust" crud. I disassembled the speedo drive, and used gasoline and a scrub brush to get rid of it. Reassembled the drive using Silkolene water and salt proof grease. Repacked the wheel bearing on the speedo side while I was at it along with spreading a thin layer of grease on the front axle then reinstalled the front wheel.

Tomorrow I'll lube the cable housing and cable, then reinstall.

Praying I can get those washers and cotter pins back into place on the speedo's mount stems without resorting to removing the instrument cluster bracket!

This is turning out to be FAR more than I expected given the visual condition of the bike, lack of miles, etc. I guess those 2+ years sitting in the compressor room were tough on it.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/07/19 07:05 AM

You're getting there m8, I had similar probs with mine, it'd been hardly used in 3 years before I got it.

After the problems with speedo cables snapping, my speedo counter packed in, I remembered Lil Ange posting up a DT125 speedo is similar, lucky me got a brand new one off ebay for 35 squids. We pick up some great tips off this forum.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/07/19 01:13 PM

Yep, hang in there. I get the idea it wasn't treated terribly well before it was left sitting.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/07/19 02:24 PM

Paul49 and peejman:

This far it's been just little things, not big things, so I guess I should be glad for that.

There doesn't seem to be any signs of abuse on the bike, so it's a bit of a puzzle to me. In fact, the exhaust pipe at the header only has very faint sings of discoloration! (Use.)

Hoping the remaining parts needed will arrive today.

I shall prevail.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/08/19 12:57 AM

So the fiber washer (only one came in, the other is backordered!) arrived. Armed with the new one and the original one that didn't break, I installed the new petcock and was able to get a good seal between the petcock and tank. (I also used Teflon tape on the bolt threads.)

I shot a very light misting of a light viscosity aerosol lube onto the speedo cable and installed it, then buttoned everything back up. Fired it off and did a little over 11 miles on it. Ran fine. Was able to take it over some semi-technical stuff and my reasons for purchasing this XT are proving correct: It's light and nimble, sure-footed, grunts like a goat, and the low seat height instantly boosts one's confidence level when approaching deep erosion ruts w/rocks therein (and such).

Paused up on the side of the mountain I live on and snapped this:

The only slight negative is the speedometer flutters and isn't rock steady. Whether this will prove to be a cable that's failing or a speedo head that's failing, I guess time will tell.

I think I'm going to pick up some fork oil and drain/flush/replace the fork oil. Recommendations as to weight and quantity per fork?

The new chain ought to be in Thursday. That brings up this question:

By habit, I ordered an O-ring chain. Comment was made at the shop that 428 size O-ring chains are getting hard to find. ??

So, my question is, do you all run O-ring chains on your XT225's?

All fer now.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/08/19 01:02 AM

Pretty easy to get O-ring/X-ring chains. I have a DID.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/08/19 01:31 AM

Yes, D.I.D. is what I ended up purchasing.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/08/19 02:24 PM

I've always had good luck with DID-428 O-ring chains. They hold up pretty well.

I'm reading from an XT225 2003 service manual:

Fork oil 10W 12.5 Imp OZ (12.0 US oz) each fork.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/08/19 03:02 PM

I've always used o-ring chains. Properly maintained, it should last a really long time on the XT. 17hp just isn't that hard on a chain. laugh

My recall is what Muniac says... 10W is stock, some folks use 15W to firm it up just a touch.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/08/19 10:45 PM

Thank you for the info on the fork oil. Would that be ANY quality 10w oil, or 10w FORK oil?

Unfortunately, I did not receive an owner's manual with the bike.

I'm thinking about purchasing a shop manual for it.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/09/19 12:28 AM

I would go with fork oil

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/09/19 02:46 AM

Thank 'y vury much!

I shall check the local Yamaha shop to see if the stock it when I (hopefully) pick up my chain that's supposed to get delivered.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/09/19 08:16 PM

So I rode it down to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and tagged it.

Stopped by the Yamaha shop and picked up the chain (finally).

Tagged, I was finally able to hit the freeway and run it out. It has an intermmitten miss under load. Oh, and the speedo needle is still sluggish and fluctuates significantly.

It's on the lift table, but I'm too disgusted to mess with it right now.

Hope I haven't purchased a "problem child".

All fer now.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/10/19 07:16 AM

Nearly there, it'll be sumert & nowt.

I wouldn't give it the beans for a while after it's been stood so long, needs a bit of tlc, take it easy for some miles.

Re stumble:
Did ya fit an in-line fuel filter?
Clean & re-oil the air filter? Ensure the box is sealed & no air leaks.
Spark plug grade & gap correct?

Good luck with it.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/10/19 02:14 PM

Hi Paul:

Yes, inline filter.

Yes, cleaned/re-oiled the filter.

Yes, did the best I could to secure the air box outlet. Boot rubber appears good w/no cracks/etc. Circle clamp tightened as tight as I dared.

Unknown on the spark plug yet.

At this point, I haven't determined if it's fuel or fire. I will start with replacing the spark plug. However, it could be a floating "booger" in the fuel bowl that temporaily fouls the main jet, or a combination of both. (Or worse, the high tension coil.)

However, not today.

Today the high temps are to be in the low 60F range here, and I'm going dual sport riding aboard my WR250R all day up among the mountains in which I live. My decent riding weather is shrinking before the "air you can wear" (high heat, high humidity) phase of our summer starts bearing down on us.

All fer now!

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 02:54 PM

Quick question:

What are the symptoms of a low float condition? (i.e. Insufficient fuel in the bowl.)

Been years since I've had to do carb stuff (riding EFI bike and years before that!) and I need some refresher courses.

Thanks.

V-mam

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 03:30 PM

In the XT's case, the float level is set with the carb upside down, so a low float level results in high fuel level in the bowl. That said, the fuel level in the bowl has a bulk effect on the mixture. Low fuel level could/would cause the engine to run a bit lean. So hard to start, won't idle cold, etc. It's also possible it might stumble or run out of gas during full throttle operation.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 03:42 PM

Thanks peejman.

I have tweaked the level ever so slightly. Hoping that was it, but I'm concerned it's not.

The intermittent miss seems to happen at high load, such as just before shifting up another gear when accelerating and running in third gear and up, or at cruise speed on a freeway/highway at, or around, 55 MPH or so. It's like it is either running out of fuel for a second or two, or someone turned off the ignition for the same amount of time. Also, the condition isn't consistent in that it may last just a short moment, or up to a second or so.

I'm praying it's not electrical (miserable to trace/find), or worse yet, the CDI unit ($$$).

I did see an eensy bit of some very fine residual granular residue moving about in the fuel, which I cleaned out and then re-cleaned the float bowl itself. There was no obstruction in the main jet.

All fer now. Out to reassemble and test ride.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 03:44 PM

This any help?

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.p...=true#Post71569

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 05:04 PM

Hi Paul:

I get a "404 Not Found" with the above link.

Would love to read what you've linked.

FWIW: Enough is temporarily reassembled to make a test ride, so its ready for me to clear the tools off the lift stand and lower it/off load it/etc, but that will wait until after lunch.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 05:42 PM

Dunno what's up with that. It's a good post by Tigersaw on 2010-10-30 with pics. Just copied bu doesn't show the pics, mebbe one of the boys can help. Or, I post on it it'll bump it up to top.

carb settings [Re: alexd]
Tigersaw
Bronze Member

Loc: South UK
Heres my check of the fuel level - just a piece of pipe attached to the drain plug and curled round. The manual states it should be 11-12mm below the mating surface, mine here is almost level

And here is the reason - the float height measured at 12.5mm instead of 14.1-15.1mm

I modified the float height, it made a difference to the running as previously mentioned, though subsequent checks show the fuel level appears not to have altered enough, so I may revisit the adjustment another time

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 05:45 PM

Yes, see thread 07 xt225 carb settings page 2.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 06:33 PM

Thanks Paul.

I found the thread. Valuable information.

My test ride was not encouraging: The missing/hesitation is much worse.

I may have gone the wrong way on the height and made it worse, or it could be that whatever the issue is, is getting worse. IF it's electrical, if the thing will simply quit... maybe the issue can be traced and thus found more readily.

Anyway, I will let it cool and pull the carb again, this time using the information provided: 14.1mm - 15.1 mm in height when the carb is upside down. I will likely wait to do this until tomorrow morning, I have other non-motorcycle things that I need to attended to for now.

Thanks for you help. It is very much appreciated.

V-man
aka "Andre"

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 08:15 PM

It's not unheard of for a stator to fail intermittently, so you might run through the check procedure for that. Though in my experience, an electrical fault is a very abrupt fault while a fuel/air problem is a little softer, if that makes any sense. It's a seat-of-the-pants feel thing.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/15/19 09:04 PM

Hi again Paul.

I was able to get the time to at least pull the carb and check the floats. They were off. (Measured less than 12mm as I recall.) I've set them to within spec (about 14.5mm or so) and got the carb re-installed, but ran out of time before hanging everything else back into place.

IF I'm understanding this correctly, 14mm will result is LESS fuel in the bottom of the bowl than the floats at 12mm. Thus, I was actually experiencing a higher fuel level in the bowl instead of starving for fuel. This makes me even more inclined to think the float level was not what's causing the miss.

I will finish reassembly in the morning and test ride to see what I've got.

By abrupt: Yes, I think I understand what you're saying.

I'm beginning to lean more toward it being a fire issue than fuel. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect I'm not.

V-man
Andre

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/16/19 04:38 AM

Okay...

Just checked eBay for prices on CDI units, stators, and coils.

Looks like new CDI's can be had for $99 or so.

Stators in the $60 range.

Coils in the $10 range.

I'll know in the morning sometime if the miss is still with me, but I'm already thinking ahead concerning possible scenarios.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/16/19 03:13 PM

Update:

The float level didn't help. Still sputters and misses under load from mid-range up.

It seems to have gotten worse from the first time it reared its head.

I'm definitely (desperately) open to suggestions at this point.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/16/19 03:35 PM

Is anything not oem? eg air filter or exhaust, that could cause a weak mixture?

Otherwise, is it sparks? If you fire it up in a dark place eg under a blanket, lights up, can you see any arcing out?

Hopefully one of the boys who've suffered similar will chime in.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/16/19 04:32 PM

Paul:

As received, everything was OEM except the tires (Chin Shen) and perhaps the chain?

I will try the arching idea tonight.

I'm about to rule out the carb, for it literally cuts out like the fire is dropping. It doesn't "burble" or "starve" as if too rich/lean in the mid-range/etc. It's as if there is a toggle switch on the fire that intermittently gets flicked on/off.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/16/19 04:33 PM

OH... and the battery was missing.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/21/19 04:44 PM

So after hearing what the local Yamaha shop had to say, and watching a few videos on YouTube, it appears:

* IF it's fire, it could be several things.

* Stators, coils, CDI's sort of "work or they don't". That sort of indicates to me that it MAY not be the stator, coil, CDI, for it runs good UNTIL you put it under load.

SO...

I think I'm going to get a second opinion from that of my local Yamha dealer. That is, think I'm going to load it up and take it to Fort Smith to Westark Yamaha and see what their shop guys say. I will do that either tomorrow or Thursday.

One way or the other, I've got to find what is causing the miss under load, otherwise it's a garage queen.

Andre

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/21/19 04:54 PM

Good luck with it, only time I had a problem similar was after fitting a K&N air filter, above half throttle.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/23/19 08:45 PM

After trying several more things to no avail, I have decided to load it up and take it to a regional Yamaha dealer that's been in business for decades and has much familiarity with the XT225 series. I simply do not have the diagnostic instruments/tools or expertise needed to determine where the issue lies.

I will tote it off to them likely tomorrow or Saturday. They currently have a 3-4 week waiting list, but I'm tired of fighting with it.

All fer now.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/23/19 11:51 PM

Good luck with the dealer's shop. Hope they sort the issue out for you without too much difficulty..

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 05/24/19 06:53 PM

As of this morning my little XT225 is at the dealer for fixin'.

On to the next bike: My '73 CZ 175 Trail. (Needs a full-on restoration.)

V-man
Posted By: youngfred

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 07/11/19 09:07 PM

Where you at?

youngfred

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 08/10/19 04:54 AM

I'm BACK!

Reason for my absence: All this time the XT225 has been at the shop. In fact, I just brought it home yesterday, late afternoon... FINALLY!

It was a long and sordid story of sorting issues. Fortunately, I've known the owner of the shop for decades (having purchased several Yamaha's from his dad that owned the shop at the time), so he took it in, and worked on it when practical (used it as filler work, not assigned/dedicated work) because he figured tracing the issue would be lots of trial and error so was trying to hold down my costs. (i.e. In other words, he would work on when he could and not assign one of his commissioned mechanics, thus avoiding me being dinged with the $$$ hourly shop rate as one of his commissioned help experimented and invested a lot of time trying to find all the issues.)

He did good keeping me informed with calls, and amid him being gone for a total of three weeks (2 for vacation and a business type trip), he kept chipping away at it when he could.

Several things were found that were contributing to the issue, and a couple weeks ago they were oh-so-close. He called me again at that time to let me know they had the top end running clean and it would pull good to the top, but he wasn't satisfied with the way it felt off-idle and suggested I come ride it to see if I concurred.

I rode it around town for quite a while, and yes, the load-induced miss was gone and it would pull good to the top, but it was a bit hesitant off idle and at times felt like it wanted to die. I concurred with his estimation and left it with him. I told him no rush, work on it when he could, but get it as good as he could get it before I pick it up.

He then disassembled the carb (again) and started spec-ing the air/fuel idle circuit. When it was all said and done, a previous owner/whomever had wallowed out not only the main jet (replacing it with a new UNTOUCHED jet was what cleaned up the top end) as well as modified the pilot jet. Once he determined this, a new pilot jet went in, some tuning, and presto: Runs like a top. Idles nice and smooth, immediate response off idle... pulls great and runs clean to the top.

SO... there you have it!

Once the weather gets more agreeable (my region is in our 100+ summer weather right now) I will start riding it in the cool of the mornings for extended periods to insure that all is good before I start going on rides out in the mountains.

BUT... it's home... FINALLY!!!

All fer now.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 08/10/19 02:59 PM

Good to know your bike's up and running again. Nice to have a dealer who'll chip away at the bike's issues on the side until he's got things sorted. Enjoy your XT now that it's running well, and keep the rubber side down!

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 08/19/19 02:19 PM

Just an update:

I've spent some time on my little XT225 over the weekend during the cooler portions of the day. Yesterday evening I rode it about 40 miles or so, up and down a mountain, some back road, a bit of highway, etc. Nary a burp nor a spit. Pulls good off idle and runs out nicely when asked to.

I do believe it's fixed. I will be picking up the new speedo cable w/housing this week and installing it eventually. Once the garage cools off (really hot weather right now), and it goes back onto the lift stand, I will install the cable, rehang the tank shrouds, flush/refill the forks and look it over. It will then be ready to ride up in the mountains beginning sometime in late September. (Or when the weather finally drops down into the 80s!)

Looks to be a keeper!

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 08/19/19 02:28 PM

You might want to move further discussions to an appropriate forum. Thanks.

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 08/20/19 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: youngfred

Where you at?

youngfred

Sorry, didn't see this at first. I'm in eastern OK.

Muniac:

Will do.

V-man

Re: New Old Rider From OK - 08/21/19 02:04 PM

No problems. Just trying to keep information where it best fits and can be found later on. Thanks.
© 2020 XT225+250 Rider's Group