Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

sort of new rider from Michigan

Posted By: JimNdetroit

sort of new rider from Michigan - 07/12/18 01:08 AM

Hello. I found this site many years ago when I bought my very slightly used 2004 xt 225. I have ridden my xt sparingly over the years and it has served me well whenever I fired it up and brought it out of the garage. It has about 3,000 miles and I have changed the oil etc. at the beginning and end of each riding season. I have used it mostly for the occasional cruise, a few trail rides up north, and most importantly, I taught my son how to ride on the trusty xt...which prepared him for the motorcycle license course and test. I did all kinds of research before I bought the bike, and this site was extremely helpful many, many times. Now, I'm back because I need help with basically my first problem with the bike. I'm going to post about my bike dying on me and not starting back up until I got it home (in my truck) and put it on the charger. I'm leery about taking it back out until I figure out why it died. Wondering if its the battery or what charges the battery while running.
Thanks!
Posted By: #brer15

Re: sort of new rider from Michigan - 07/12/18 10:44 AM

Welcome. Odds are if the battery is old you probably need a new one. After putting a complete charge on the battery you should be able to read at least 12.5v. When reading the voltage while cranking the bike it should not drop below 10v. When revving the bike to about 4k rpm's voltage should read around 13.5 or maybe even above 14v. There is probably more accurate numbers on the forum, but generally some where in these areas.
Posted By: peejman

Re: sort of new rider from Michigan - 07/12/18 02:35 PM

Welcome!
Posted By: onceona50

Re: sort of new rider from Michigan - 07/12/18 03:00 PM

Welcome! Probably time for a new battery, especially if its OE.

Battery Tenders really help my batteries last longer.
Posted By: Muniac

Re: sort of new rider from Michigan - 07/12/18 04:04 PM

Welcome to the site as a new USER. Enjoy and ride safely. Glad the site is/was helpful. Feel free to post over in Bike Problems. Someone will assist.

Re: sort of new rider from Michigan - 07/14/18 02:47 PM

Thank you very much! I appreciate all the time and effort you have put into this site over the years!

Re: sort of new rider from Michigan - 07/14/18 02:49 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: Muniac

Re: sort of new rider from Michigan - 07/15/18 02:18 PM

Glad you're enjoying the site. Been able to keep the lights on for some 14 years now. laugh Ride safely.
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group