Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

Just Got My First XT

Posted By: Aguaski

Just Got My First XT - 04/15/18 10:12 PM

I am new to this forum and joining because I just acquired a 2006 XT225. I am really excited to begin using it and learning about it.

About me. I am mid-40’s and haven’t riden a motorcycle since my teeanage years. Back then I had a 1978 YZ80 two stroke. I loved that bike and only sold it because I was approaching age 16 and wanted the funds to help buy my first car. Never thought that would be the last time I would ride a motorcycle until now.

For the longest time my primary hobby has been boating. I had an 18 foot Glastron SSV-188 that I took to the lake every weekend and loved it. When I got the boat my kids were age 4 and 6. Those little kids loved the lake and never minded the weekend lake trips. Fast forward 12 years and those little kids are now age 16 and 18 and they have very complicated schedules that prevented me from going to the lake. We were only able to use the boat 2 times in 2017. So with that I sold the boat and I am taking up my new outdoor hobby of dual sport trail exploring. My wife is with me too on this, but she is very uncomfortable on two wheels and has asked that I buy her a quad. Since my enjoyment on my new to me XT225 is contingent on my wife also having fun I need to find her a quad she will like. I know this is a forum dedicated to Yamaha XT’s, but I would love to hear recommendations on the quad I should be searching for. I assume a lot of XT riders are also crossover ATV’ers and will have an opinion on this.

My purpose for buying the XT225 is primarily for casual paced trail riding. I am not looking to rip through the trails. I want to go to places that only the XT can take me. When I first started considered dual sports I initially gravitated to the KLR 650. After deciding that was too big and heavy for what I wanted to do I set my sights on the DRZ400. Eventually I decided the DRZ400 may be too much for someone who has not been around a motorcyle for 30 year. That is when I started considering 250cc class bikes. The more I looked at this class of bikes the more I decided I liked the XT225. I wont know for sure that it is the perfect bike for me until I spend some time with it, but for right now I am really excited to get started with it.

My XT225 is still stock. I like to tinker and will eventually seek out mods, but for now I want to learn the XT as the Yamaha engineers intended it. Perhaps the biggest mod I can make right now is to be a little more careful with my diet and drop 10-15 pounds. After doing that I can start looking at the XT.

Just wanted to say “Hi” and that I look forward to learning and contributing to this forum.
Posted By: #brer15

Re: Just Got My First XT - 04/15/18 10:32 PM

Welcome, I like to keep my bike stock
Posted By: Muniac

Re: Just Got My First XT - 04/16/18 03:02 AM

Welcome to the site as a new USER. Thanks for the comprehensive Intro. Nice to get to know people through their activities and life's adventures. The XT225 will be a good reliable bike. It is well capable on the trails as you will discover. A good mod is to gear the bike down from 15 to 14 on your front sprocket. There are other common mods well documented here. You'll find making friends with the bike is an evolving process as your skill level and confidence improve.

As for AZ we rode all over the northern parts of that state. Lots of good riding there. Some of it is challenging, however. The Charles Wells book for AZ on 4WD trails is a good resource.

Post on!
Posted By: peejman

Re: Just Got My First XT - 04/16/18 11:54 AM

Welcome!
Posted By: Az4x4

Re: Just Got My First XT - 04/16/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Aguaski
..I am new to this forum and joining because I just acquired a 2006 XT225. I am really excited to begin using it and learning about it...

My purpose for buying the XT225 is primarily for casual paced trail riding. I am not looking to rip through the trails. I want to go to places that only the XT can take me.....

Hi Clint! This is George, the fellow you bought the XT from. Sure enjoyed meeting you and your wife when you drove up the hill on Saturday.

As you've noted the bike is pretty much stock. It has the exhaust mod done, and that's about it. Here at 6,600 feet it started and ran perfectly, so I never checked the carburetor's jet sizes, just knew they were right for the riding I did. If it runs fine down your way I'd leave things as is. The inline fuel filter I installed will guard against stray particles in the fuel causing issues. The way the bike is set up now it should serve you well for a long time to come.

I've had a couple of quads up here and may get another, something we can load in the bed of our Dodge truck and take with us when we hook up the travel trailer and go camping. Don't have any recommendations for your wife, just stay with a brand you know, something you can easily source parts for if necessary.

Ride safely my friend, and enjoy the XT -- it's a honey of a bike!..
Posted By: onceona50

Re: Just Got My First XT - 04/16/18 10:41 PM

Welcome from another newby. 30 years ago I sold my bikes and bought quads and eventually a RZR. I recommend 4x4 and our last 650 Canam 2-up was a blast.
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group