Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

Newbie from AZ

Posted By: Sonic_Schmutz

Newbie from AZ - 03/10/18 02:53 AM

Hey, everyone ! I'm happy to hop on board here. My name is Greg and I had been pondering which dual sport to purchase for about 2 years now...I finally settled on a 2018 XT250. I'm currently on my way to bankrupting myself with accessories and riding gear. I live in Peoria, AZ and I'm hoping to roll out with some others in my area when I'm actually here in AZ. I'm a truck driver and work in Texas so, the 916 mile commute keeps me from home. I really look forward to picking your brains and meeting as many fellow XT owners as I can. Thanks to all for allowing me to be a part of your group and I hope all of your adventures are grand !
Posted By: Muniac

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/10/18 03:53 AM

Greg - Welcome to the site as a new USER. Enjoy and ride safely. Good choice on a bike. Feel free to post on!
Posted By: peejman

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/10/18 06:16 PM

Welcome!
Posted By: rocmoc

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/10/18 06:34 PM

Welcome from Southern AZ.

rocmoc n AZ
Posted By: Az4x4

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/10/18 06:55 PM

Hi Greg. Welcome to the group from high on the Mogollon Rim. There's a number of XT owners and riders in Arizona. You'll meet most of them as you take part in the forum.

900+ miles is a long way to go to work. Do you take your XT with you, or leave it in Peoria? Ride safely when you're out and about with it, and enjoy the site for everything it has to offer!
Posted By: #brer15

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/11/18 01:49 AM

Welcome

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/15/18 03:26 AM

Thanks Muniac. I hope to gain some knowledge from you vets.

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/15/18 04:12 AM

Thank you peejman !

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/15/18 04:14 AM

Thanks rocmoc, are you down Tuscon way or even farther south ?

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/15/18 04:27 AM

Hey there AZ4x4, I just got the bike while I've been home on vacation. I was out in
Greer last week in a rental cabin. I will take the XT with me back to Texas...In the back of my pickup. It only has 26.4 miles on it at this point so, I'm trying to get it broken in. I've spent more time putting accessories on it than I have riding it at this point. I'm going tomorrow morning to get the motorcycle endorsement on my license and then I'll put a few miles on it. The Mogollon Rim area sure is nice country. I would love to take the XT out to that area in the future. Thanks AZ

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/15/18 04:30 AM

Thank you kindly #brer15...26000 ? Sure sounds like your XT could tell some stories

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/15/18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonic_Schmutz

Further South, just south of Amado.

rocmoc n AZ
Posted By: #brer15

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/16/18 01:13 AM

Sure sounds like your XT could tell some stories
I have rode it in 6 states, and actually did most of its break-in period in Phoenix.

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/16/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: rocmoc

Further South, just south of Amado.

rocmoc n AZ

Just south of Amado, on towards Tubac, population wise your area looks similar to what we have here on the Rim in Heber/Overgaard -- sparse and spread out.

At least you have a freeway through the area, while we have a county maintained two lane highway into and out of the community. They widened it to two lanes each way through town, but getting to and from the area behind slow traffic is a chore.

The good thing is there's an endless number of off road trails, single and double track in the area, so it takes just minutes to be out of sight of anything man made, deep in the woods, enjoying sights and sounds, exploring new places and seeing wildlife that otherwise would go unnoticed.

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/18/18 12:38 PM

900 year-round and 1500 when the snowbirds are in town. Freeway into Tucson and airport on our side of Tucson. When we lived in the Sierra Mts always worried when better 3/4 would drive down into the valley. Confirmed one morning when I got an upset phone call she had nailed a deer. I also hit one so want a road she could drive without too much worry. Lots of trails, have ridden only about 20% in 15+ years but working on riding them all. Nice because I can leave from the house and be in the dirt in 5 minutes. Rode 93 miles this last week, combined bike and side by side.

rocmoc n AZ

Re: Newbie from AZ - 03/18/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: rocmoc
...When we lived in the Sierra Mts always worried when better 3/4 would drive down into the valley. Confirmed one morning when I got an upset phone call she had nailed a deer. I also hit one so want a road she could drive without too much worry...

I worry about that too. Only up here it's mainly elk that tangle with vehicles. When that happens it's generally not a pretty sight for man or beast. My wife's daughter lives near by and drives 40 miles each way to Show Low and back for work, leaving early mornings and getting home after dark. She sees elk beside or on the road every week, and is always on alert for an unexpected animal stepping out in front of her.

My daughter-in-law hit an elk in her old 3/4 ton Dodge truck, with a massive winch and bumper system up front, a couple of years back. The only thing that sustained damage in that incident was the elk -- it died on the spot. She and my son put a salvage tag on it, hauled it home, processed it, wrapped the meat and filled one of their freezers with elk steaks and such.

We've had everything from mountain lions to bears to elk and deer hit on the highway in and out of town, and right in the middle of town as well. Most times it's a light weight newer vehicle driven by someone who's unfamiliar with the danger that animals in the roadway present. I've seen vehicles towed to the local NAPA storage lot with their front ends destroyed and tops pealed back like a tin can. Not a pretty sight..
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group